PDA

View Full Version : Jujitsu 4th degree, needs to register with the State?

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Someone I know made this claim to me today.

Other than old 1970's karate schools making these claims, has anyone EVER found this to be true in any state, let alone Illinois?

GreenCloudCLF
02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
It's total crap. I was a cop in DC and learned NYS Criminal Code. Crap Crap Crap. BTW I knew someone who made this claim at my job. He was a pathological liar. I tore him up when I found out.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-26-2009, 04:45 PM
He also told me that because of his registration, that if he gets into a bar fight, he automatically goes to jail. They would look up his record, and would arrest him.

TenTigers
02-26-2009, 04:51 PM
My hands are not only registered, they're copyrighted and patented.
Although Peanut Butter Pajama Modles and Nacho Ninjettes can sign a licensing agreement.

Water Dragon
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
He also told me that because of his registration, that if he gets into a bar fight, he automatically goes to jail. They would look up his record, and would arrest him.

lol. However, you have a much better chance of being convicted because of martial arts training.

EarthDragon
02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
RD,
serioulsy do you really need to post this question? I thought you have been around long enough to know BS when you hear it.....

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Now he says he had to go to Thailand for his 4rth degree test.

They hold it in different places every year.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
lol. However, you have a much better chance of being convicted because of martial arts training.

Reply]
Not me, I am just a Tai Chi guy who learned from video tapes! :D

notanexit
02-27-2009, 12:55 AM

Other than old 1970's karate schools making these claims, has anyone EVER found this to be true in any state, let alone Illinois?
Ive heard this bs as well.Its used as a scare tactic.

David Jamieson
02-27-2009, 04:36 AM
That "someone you know" is a delusional weirdo and a liar.
no offense, just sayin...

1bad65
02-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Here is a story in Austin where a Golden Gloves boxer killed a man. The boxer admitted he threw the first, and only, punch. He was only charged with manslaughter and convicted of the lesser charge of aggravated assault with serious bodily injury. He was sentenced to 10 years probation.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/?SecID=278&ArID=223509

David Jamieson
02-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Here is a story in Austin where a Golden Gloves boxer killed a man. The boxer admitted he threw the first, and only, punch. He was only charged with manslaughter and convicted of the lesser charge of aggravated assault with serious bodily injury. He was sentenced to 10 years probation.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/?SecID=278&ArID=223509

so? the guy killed a guy with one punch.

it's not that he's a boxer, it's that he KILLED the dude and he did it without intention, hence the manslaughter charge.

1bad65
02-27-2009, 06:30 AM
so? the guy killed a guy with one punch.

it's not that he's a boxer, it's that he KILLED the dude and he did it without intention, hence the manslaughter charge.

My point was that he was trained to fight, yet he wasnt even charged with murder and he got a light sentence.

David Jamieson
02-27-2009, 06:31 AM
My point was that he was trained to fight, yet he wasnt even charged with murder and he got a light sentence.

that's not a point at all.

are you a fuking tard or something? Is your whole family retarded like you?

f-ing tard.

golden arhat
02-27-2009, 06:37 AM

yeah that doesnt really make sense as far as points go :confused:

m1k3
02-27-2009, 07:28 AM
I spent some time doing Grand Jury duty in NJ. I asked an ADA that question one day when we had some free time. Her response was no, there is nothing like that in NJ, however martial arts training would be considered as just one factor in the case if there was one.

xcakid
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM

Well it IS IL....

Much like any leftist state don't you have to register anything that can be used for self defense? (IE, firearms, knives, phones that can dial 911, etc. )
God forbid you hurt an assailant. :)

Mas Judt
02-28-2009, 01:00 PM

f-ing tard.

Jameison - we all know you are a 'liberal'. You don't have to prove it by having no argument other than name calling.

BoulderDawg
02-28-2009, 01:08 PM
yeah that doesnt really make sense as far as points go :confused:

But then you have to understand that making sense is not Bad's strong point!

BoulderDawg
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM

You didn't say why he had to register with the state. Some people DO have to do this but it has nothing to do with MA.:eek:

WinterPalm
02-28-2009, 04:22 PM

I think your point is that the law doesn't look at trained fighters/martial artists any differently than most people, right?

Askari Hodari
02-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I teach Sociology. A couple of semesters back I had a student who told me that soon she would be registering with the police due to her acquiring her black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I asked her why she believed this was necessary. She replied that her instructor told her that this was necessary. He also claims to have done the same thing she said.

Needless to say I dismissed this as pure nonsense. Its amazing the foolish things that some people say and that others believe.

1bad65
02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I think your point is that the law doesn't look at trained fighters/martial artists any differently than most people, right?

You got it.

Shaolinlueb
02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
the only people that have to register their hands are sex offenders.

i am going to leave it at that and not call anyone that cause we know how sue crazy many are on here :p

GreenCloudCLF
03-01-2009, 07:15 AM

This is actually not the case. If you were to get into a fight (as the aggressor or not) it will be taken into account as an aggrevating factor. You will be required to articulate why you used the amount of force you used.

Also, it works in the reverse. If you get into a fight and you have knowledge of their high level of skill you can actually reason why you used as much force as you did.

In the eyes of the law it is more about what you can "articulate" more than what actually happened.

WinterPalm
03-01-2009, 09:45 AM
This is actually not the case. If you were to get into a fight (as the aggressor or not) it will be taken into account as an aggrevating factor. You will be required to articulate why you used the amount of force you used.

Also, it works in the reverse. If you get into a fight and you have knowledge of their high level of skill you can actually reason why you used as much force as you did.

In the eyes of the law it is more about what you can "articulate" more than what actually happened.

I was actually referring to 1bad's post that nobody seemed to understand.

And to be honest, if I get in a serious fight, I'll do whatever I have to to survive...I can't think about the law when my life is in danger.

Drake
03-01-2009, 09:49 AM
That was a serious overreaction to 1Bad's statement. He was being completely civil and simply trying to add to the conversation, and then Jamieson (sic?) just went completely bat-ass crazy. It's more weird than insulting.

golden arhat
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM

f-ing tard.

chill out DJ if it doesnt make sense then just say so! :)

David Jamieson
03-02-2009, 09:02 AM
you guys can't handle me berating 1bad after all his beratings?

go **** yerselves then.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

I'm only giving back what's being given.

expect more if you're gonna be fairies about it.

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I had to register my C0ck with the police, in case I would use it as a lethal weapon, but in all fairness, its a very big C0ck, here is a pic:

Drake
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM
you guys can't handle me berating 1bad after all his beratings?

go **** yerselves then.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

I'm only giving back what's being given.

expect more if you're gonna be fairies about it.

From what I can tell, you've always been the one antagonizing him first. He's a conservative, big whoop. Let it go.

Lucas
03-03-2009, 09:36 AM
its just a thing people say and want to do to inflate their egos, and to place a special emphasis on the color of the belt they wear.

i carry a blade, way more of 'teh deadly' than any mofos hands. i dont have to register that.

tom foolery if you ask me.

xcakid
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM

That is actually how it works here in TX. The defense is called "disparity of force"

Let's say I get into a tussle with.....oh, I don't know.....one of the Gracie's. He takes me down and starts to choke me out. I free my hand and was able to pull my Glock 22 (.40 cal), put it up against his rib and at the brink of passing out, I pull the trigger and get him off me. So much for ground fighting.

If my lawyer can prove that I did not instigate the altercation as well as the perceived disparity of force (him having more experience in fighting and a master level training) and me being in fear for my life(as far as I was concerned he was choking me to death), I can be exonerated from criminal charges. Now the Gracie family does have every right to go after me in civil court though. :(