View Full Version : Glorified kickboxers :P

sanjuro_ronin
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wejl8Wa31VA

Kiai beeotch !!

WinterPalm
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Dayum! That's some rough stuff!:eek:

I always thought those bare knuckle crotty things had no face shots and no holding...this is something altogether different.

Oso
03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
anh...what a bunch of pansies...where's the broken glass?

Lucas
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
nice vid.

looks like maybe no face shots maybe? i saw a couple palm heels meet a couple chins tho.

and that sweep to head kick on the fall was slick.

Violent Designs
03-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Glorified kickboxing doesn't work on teh streets.

Too many sharks and lava.

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Dayum! That's some rough stuff!:eek:

I always thought those bare knuckle crotty things had no face shots and no holding...this is something altogether different.

That is Budokai "kyokushin", started by Jon Blumming.
It combines old school kyokushin with judo.
Open hand "slaps" are allowed tot he head, closed fists to the body.
Much like old Pancrase but with a Gi.

Pork Chop
03-03-2009, 08:23 AM
man... I like that stuff...
think it would be fun to train that... or maybe some combat sambo fedor style...

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2009, 08:24 AM
man... I like that stuff...
think it would be fun to train that... or maybe some combat sambo fedor style...

Always was fun, and painful, LOL !
Its the training and as such, anyone can added it to their own system, of MA.

Pork Chop
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Always was fun, and painful, LOL !
Its the training and as such, anyone can added it to their own system, of MA.

Think I'll keep doing my current blend of pure muay thai with the occasional san shou technique till i can find a decent place to train that stuff. hate learning through distance tho, so would need to relocate probably.

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Think I'll keep doing my current blend of pure muay thai with the occasional san shou technique till i can find a decent place to train that stuff. hate learning through distance tho, so would need to relocate probably.

You can always add a Gi to your stuff and "figure it out yourself"....;)

Pork Chop
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
You can always add a Gi to your stuff and "figure it out yourself"....;)

true... or maybe san shou with submissions (in boxing gloves).
Problem is finding training partners who'd like to be my laboratory assistants.

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
true... or maybe san shou with submissions (in boxing gloves).
Problem is finding training partners who'd like to be my laboratory assistants.

Isn't that always the case ?

WinterPalm
03-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Some guys in my club have been talking a bit about the combat Sambo stuff: gi top, 8oz mma gloves, and submissions on the ground...sounds interesting.

We often do San Da sparring where we fight a bit on the ground for a pin to make it a bit more realistic.

Pork Chop
03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Isn't that always the case ?

yup, especially considering i don't really have anybody to practice dedicated sanshou takedowns with at the moment.

WinterPalm
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Pork Chop,

What about the MMA guys you train with? Surely they want to improve their takedowns and train them realistically?

Pork Chop
03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Pork Chop,

What about the MMA guys you train with? Surely they want to improve their takedowns and train them realistically?

the gym started up another muay thai class during my old workout times so i've had to go in early lately. hardly anyone there between 4:30 and 6; not to mention the fact that i'm usually teaching my coworkers.

that gym's weird too. They're like a BJJ - mma gym (emphasis on the BJJ). They only work takedowns in mma class and only a fraction of them spend any time training striking.

I think I have more of a chance working with the few mma guys at the muay thai gym - I'm a lot closer with those guys and spend more time at that gym.

My original plan was to work out with Water Dragon from here, but our schedules are super, ridiculously mismatched.

i'll figure something out before july, right now i'm too focused on march.

I do spend a ton of time working on kick catches & off-balancing people in the clinch - just don't usually do stuff like shooting or hip throws.

MasterKiller
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Some guys in my club have been talking a bit about the combat Sambo stuff: gi top, 8oz mma gloves, and submissions on the ground...sounds interesting.

We often do San Da sparring where we fight a bit on the ground for a pin to make it a bit more realistic.

I rotate my striking curriculum between San Shou and MMA. On MMA weeks, we use 7-oz gloves and grappling shin guards.

WinterPalm
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
I rotate my striking curriculum between San Shou and MMA. On MMA weeks, we use 7-oz gloves and grappling shin guards.

That's a good idea man...do you work ground as well? So far none of the kickboxers I train with have an interest in the ground aside from gnp...but without position they're lost and unable to do this. But we might start doing that...

MasterKiller
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
That's a good idea man...do you work ground as well? So far none of the kickboxers I train with have an interest in the ground aside from gnp...but without position they're lost and unable to do this. But we might start doing that...

Yeah, we spend 1/2 our time on grappling, 1/2 on striking. Normally, my monthly rotation goes

Week 1: Grappling
Week 2: San Shou
Week 3: Grappling
Week 4: MMA

I include most of my throwing and takedown techniques in the grappling classes.

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, we spend 1/2 our time on grappling, 1/2 on striking. Normally, my monthly rotation goes

I agree with this method, I have seen tha one day this,one day that thing and I have found that, like MK's method, the one week schedule is far better for learning AND retaining.

MasterKiller
03-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I agree with this method, I have seen tha one day this,one day that thing and I have found that, like MK's method, the one week schedule is far better for learning AND retaining.
I used to run it like that, but people weren't progressing as fast as I wanted and it was also much harder to plan classes. Now, I just have to come up with a 'theme' for the week, and I can build the lesson plans around that theme.

Ideally, I think two separate classes would be best. That way, people could work striking and grappling every night if they wanted to, but I rent space and have limited time, anyway. So, this is the best I can do for now.

lkfmdc
03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
We've had some changes in NY and a new addition to our program is WITH GI jiu jitsu

the gripping changes much of the training, and takes us in that old "vale tudo"/self defense direction at times

But new toys are always the most interesting

WinterPalm
03-04-2009, 03:48 PM

I don't teach ground grappling as I'm a four strip white belt and frankly, the MMA gym I'm at has a great BJJ coach and a sambo/judo coach as well.

What I usually do is this:

Tues: Takedown drills, San Shou randori. (This usually involves some form of striking like drills with kick catches and shooting off punches/against punches)

Thurs: Striking drills including random drills for reaction time. Usually just lots and lots of different combinations/counters, defense, etc.

Sat: Sparring.

We usually do the above for one hour and then an hour workout focusing on Thai pads, skipping, shadowboxing, and conditioning circuits.
Seems to be working so far.

But I like the idea of expanding and doing more MMA type drills from standing and the clinch...I really like working the clinch against the wall for takedowns and striking.