PDA

View Full Version : Most effective way to increase punching power

Violent Designs
02-28-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm curious to what you think is the MOST EFFECTIVE exercise to increase punching power.

Lifting weights? Body/isometric exercises? Hitting the bags?

OBVIOUSLY, as fighters, we should do a variety of exercises.

But for the purposes of this question, which one increases your POWER the quickest?

Thanks

TenTigers
02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
heavybag, makiwara, low cable twists (anchor your elbow to your hip and twist the body and waist, as if doing a ping choy-do not extend your arm into the punch, but work the small increments of power through the range of motion. You will find that there isn't alot of arm extension in a ping choy, mostly waist/hip/core)
any core exercises.

WinterPalm
02-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Technique and heavybag...Thai pads are good if you have a strong guy hold them and slowly give you more and more resistance.

Truth be told though, the best advice I ever got was just to hit as hard as possible every time you hit something. When you do your forms, every strike should kill and involve the whole body. Makes you much more tired, but increases your power.

Drake
02-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I was told to be loose and "whippy". :D

hskwarrior
02-28-2009, 11:31 AM
WOW! You said a mouthful there NICK :D

Now, this only confirms what i've been hearing. And most know here on this forum, that I was the one who said CLF is incomplete without all three lineages of CLF combined to form one great big family.

I've heard that DFW has now been trying to do the same thing by taking his chan family stuff, and he's been hanging around fut san lately too, and now to hear what sifu Nick has just told Drake.........i'm convinced right there that he IS trying to do a ONE COMPLETE CLF FAMILY thing by having elements of all three branches.

HAHAHAHA.........It was me who started that idea.

So, why would DFW ask any BUK SING guy to come and teach in a Chan Family school? :confused:

Drake
02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah sure you were.... your a f*****g JOKE mate!

You are worse than what you put on your profile... TRUE US Soldiers have integrity, Real Spirit,Respect and Love... YOU HAVE NONE!

You constantly have something to add or say!

Your a JokE! A DFW LONG DISTANCE GULLIBLE JOKE!

just F#####G train and shut the F up for once!

There's a chinese saying... " 1st class teacher, 1st class student!" Your second class all the way! DRAKE!

I have a great friend who is a soldier in the US Army... He is a true PATRIOT! QUIET YET TOUGH AND ADMIRABLE! IN AUSTRALIA THATS WHAT WE APPRECITE ABOUT TH US ARMY!

You wouldnt know it ever... he's hardcore no messing about!

Your a USELESS INTERNET STUDENT!

1015 posts from YOU? A FU#K W#T!

who the Fu## are you? seriously just Fuc$$$$* train and shut the Fu** up!

YOU IGNORAMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE USELESS!!!!!!!

Your Sifu asked MY SIFU TO GO TO HIS SCHOOL AND TEACH... HE DECLINED! Teach You THE GENERALS"S TECHNIQUES...... YEAH RITE!

I cant wait for the day till I come to the US and hopefully meet you and personally shut your Fuc#### mouth you piece of SH##!

Just practice mate thats it... JUST PRACTICE YOUR LONG DISTANCE KUNG FU!

Do you want some $ for some more videos perhaps.. lol

YOU Form Boy!

Nick
BSG
Australia

P.S We will pay your airfare if you want to visit and get your FUC###G AR#E KICKED by my students!!! crane beak, crane wing IDIOT!

Actually, Frank was the one who told me to be loose and whippy, not so much GM DFW. He's been giving me pointers and help for a long time now. Maybe you should go off on him? Nice outburst, though. Your maturity speaks volumes. Especially where you take out your GM DFW frustrations on me, like I direct him or something. So much for you respecting other branches of CLF, eh? I gave you respect before, but forget it now. U SUX! :) Earn respect, whelp, before expecting it, because I don't care if you are the great holy moly buk sing ninja master. I don't back down. Ever.

I haven't been able to train lately because I was in the middle of BOLC, learning tactical assaults, Army combatives, and being stuck on the Army physical fitness plan 24/7.

But if you'll pay my airfare, I'll be open in a few months. Start my next school on the 9th, but after I link up with 4th ID at Ft. Carson, CO, and inprocess, I may be available unless they send me to a field problem. It'll be fun :)

hskwarrior
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
yeah, it's true. A while back, me and drake we IM'ng each other (ewww sounds kinda fruity), anyways, i told him he's a little stiff, compared to the way my school does things. I did tell him to be much more loose, whippy, and don't use too much MUSCLE......He's already a strong guy, so i DID tell him that.

:( oh drake, look at what you dragged me into to........nah it's cool. :D

Drake
02-28-2009, 01:21 PM
yeah, it's true. A while back, me and drake we IM'ng each other (ewww sounds kinda fruity), anyways, i told him he's a little stiff, compared to the way my school does things. I did tell him to be much more loose, whippy, and don't use too much MUSCLE......He's already a strong guy, so i DID tell him that.

:( oh drake, look at what you dragged me into to........nah it's cool. :D

Here's what I HAVE to learn... job-related...

http://www.moderncombatives.org/home.html

CLF is a hobby for me, not a lifestyle. I get advice from whoever is giving it, and Frank has been very generous in advice. Maybe I'm becoming Hung Sing and not even knowing it????? :eek::eek::eek:

It's ok, Frank... nobody can teach someone to think before they speak.

Eddie
02-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah sure you were.... your a f*****g JOKE mate!

You are worse than what you put on your profile... TRUE US Soldiers have integrity, Real Spirit,Respect and Love... YOU HAVE NONE!

You constantly have something to add or say!

Your a JokE! A DFW LONG DISTANCE GULLIBLE JOKE!

just F#####G train and shut the F up for once!

There's a chinese saying... " 1st class teacher, 1st class student!" Your second class all the way! DRAKE!

I have a great friend who is a soldier in the US Army... He is a true PATRIOT! QUIET YET TOUGH AND ADMIRABLE! IN AUSTRALIA THATS WHAT WE APPRECITE ABOUT TH US ARMY!

You wouldnt know it ever... he's hardcore no messing about!

Your a USELESS INTERNET STUDENT!

1015 posts from YOU? A FU#K W#T!

who the Fu## are you? seriously just Fuc$$$$* train and shut the Fu** up!

YOU IGNORAMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE USELESS!!!!!!!

Your Sifu asked MY SIFU TO GO TO HIS SCHOOL AND TEACH... HE DECLINED! Teach You THE GENERALS"S TECHNIQUES...... YEAH RITE!

I cant wait for the day till I come to the US and hopefully meet you and personally shut your Fuc#### mouth you piece of SH##!

Just practice mate thats it... JUST PRACTICE YOUR LONG DISTANCE KUNG FU!

Do you want some $ for some more videos perhaps.. lol

YOU Form Boy!

Nick
BSG
Australia

P.S We will pay your airfare if you want to visit and get your FUC###G AR#E KICKED by my students!!! crane beak, crane wing IDIOT!

I have actually always had respect for you, as you appeared to be mature and collective before. This out burst wasn’t really necessary… don’t you think?

Whats with this forum lately? Can we no longer have mature discussions about MA without people getting personal and aggressive?

hskwarrior
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
what the f u c k you mean Eddie :mad:
:confused::rolleyes::p:D:cool:

Eddie
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm curious to what you think is the MOST EFFECTIVE exercise to increase punching power.

Lifting weights? Body/isometric exercises? Hitting the bags?

OBVIOUSLY, as fighters, we should do a variety of exercises.

But for the purposes of this question, which one increases your POWER the quickest?

Thanks

This is a good question.

Personally I think bag work (coupled with some weight training) might be enough, but with modern training methods, fighters are often going back to using old fashioned type exercises.

I’m hoping this thread can stay focused for at least a few days, cause I’m also eager to find out what other peoples ideas might be.

Eddie
02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I love you Frankie :)

hskwarrior
02-28-2009, 06:44 PM
;) right back atcha homie! :D

hskwarrior
02-28-2009, 06:47 PM
don't make me use "the Wire" on you ;)

Violent Designs
02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
My poor thread . . ..

Drake
02-28-2009, 08:31 PM
My poor thread . . ..

Sorry... :(

jo
02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
heavybag, makiwara, low cable twists (anchor your elbow to your hip and twist the body and waist, as if doing a ping choy-do not extend your arm into the punch, but work the small increments of power through the range of motion. You will find that there isn't alot of arm extension in a ping choy, mostly waist/hip/core)
any core exercises.

YO RICKSTA!!!:)

WHAT ABOUT SAM BO JIN?:rolleyes:

I thought you was all about the Southern Mantis these days!:D

- jo

TenTigers
02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I don't give out da closed door family secrets! Them's deep dark stuff. Not made for profanes n'all.

hskwarrior
02-28-2009, 10:41 PM
You know, i may be pretty traditional in my views as a CLF guy. But, the one thing i haven't seen mentioned here is having a strong foundation to improve the strength of your punch.

I have always been raised to pay attention to someone's horse stance over the use of his hands. And after watching many video's and a few fights, i knew what they were referring to. without your foundation, i've seen people throwing punches while their feet are moving.

In my own experience, and preference, i feel that if you root right when you strike, your strikes will have more power than not being connected to the floor. it is my belief, that power comes from the floor up.

jdhowland
03-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I love this one: the two-minute push-up. One minute lowering the body to the floor; one minute pushing up. It's not about strength or endurance. It's about efficiency.

jd

Drake
03-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I love this one: the two-minute push-up. One minute lowering the body to the floor; one minute pushing up. It's not about strength or endurance. It's about efficiency.

jd

Never heard of that. How many per set?

jdhowland
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Never heard of that. How many per set?

Just one.

To make it more interesting elevate your feet on a chair and do the push-up while gripping a small medicine ball. Greg Fong, a yiquan sadist--er, i mean stylist--taught me that one. He can do it for two minutes each way.

jd

Drake
03-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Sounds brutal. Me likey. :D

Hardwork108
03-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't give out da closed door family secrets! Them's deep dark stuff. Not made for profanes n'all.

From what I have seen of the Southern Mantis System, their inherent secretiveness and their short range/shock power, I would say that they are right to keep this stuff under their hats.;)