PDA

View Full Version : 7 Star Mantis in Ft Worth Authentic Kung Fu School--Info Please!

Ace
01-20-2001, 02:53 AM
Was hoping some of the students at Authentic Kung Fu in Ft Worth could help me out.
I've taken a couple of Wing Chun classes in the Dallas area (where I live) sponsored by the Ft Worth school. I am extremely impressed by the teaching philosophy and feel really good about the Wing chun I have learned there. However, in the interests of checking everything out before totally committing to one style or another, i have been advised by some of the Wing Chun people there to take a look at 7* Mantis as a possibility.
So...what do you Mantis guys at the Ft Worth school have to say about your training there?
Specifically, I'm looking for an art that will incorporate REAL combat methods with internal training and physical conditioning. Would Mantis at your school satisfy these objectives in your opinion?
I'm currently training in Tai Chi Chuan, so I also would like something that would enhance, or at least not conflict with, my training.

I'd appreciate any input at all as I want to dedicate myself to some serious training.

HKMantis
01-21-2001, 07:23 AM
Greetings Ace,

I am one of Sifu Cottrell's Mantis students. The classes for Mantis are structured like the Wing Chun classes in Dallas.

I have visited many other schools in the area and the training at AKF is unlike any I have seen. There's something about it that is just makes it different. That's not a knock against any of those I visited, what they had to offer is good, it just wasn't for me.

Sifu Cottrell is very hands on and runs his classes in such a way that no junior student ever works alone. Along with Sifu there is always a assistant instructor and/or more senior student there to guide them during class. All techniques are taken from the forms and drilled in such a way that they are combat effective. Combat has been emphasized from my first day (3 years ago) and will be beyond the completion of my training. You could say we are all combat all the time.

We are considered an external style and as such the internal part of the curriculum is taught at the upper levels.

Physical conditioning? If your refering to him requiring you to running mile after mile for example, that is something you do outside of class on your own. His philosophy is you there to learn which ever style you choose, be it Tai Chi, Wing Chun or Mantis.

Mantis will complement your Tai Chi training with ease, to what degree it will enhance it if any can only be determined by you. However, they share many similar movements and princples of those movements.

The best thing that I can suggest to you is make the trip out there and see what you think. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. There are a few of us lurking around here and I'm sure one of us has an anwswer.

Steve D.

Ace
01-24-2001, 01:37 AM
Thanks, HKMantis. As far as conditioning, I was just wondering if practicing Mantis will condition the body in and of itself without resorting to a lot of jogging, weight lifting etc.

I'd love to run by the Ft Worth school and will probably do so in the near future, but consistently training there is a challenge. I live approx. 4 hours round trip from the school location--so at the most I could only go on weekends.

Do you have any idea if Mantis training will make it to Dallas from Ft Worth as Wing Chun has done. Or alternatively, do you or anyone else here on the board have any info on any other Mantis instruction around the Dallas area? I'm really curious about this art as I have never seen it before.

Ace

HKMantis
01-24-2001, 08:04 PM
Conditioning can be supplemented by various exercise programs though it doesn't have to be. It will depend entirely on what you're training goals are.

AKF is coming to Dallas but I don't have a definate date. Hopefully it will be by the end of the year. I don't get to Dallas often so I don't know of any Mantis schools over there. Hopefully someone on this list knows of one and can will share the information.

HK

8 Sweaty Palms
01-25-2001, 05:27 PM
Ace,

AKF is worth the 4 hour round trip. At the beginning levels, you won't be going everyday anyway. And at higher levels, you spend more time there each visit - so the drive would be worth it (if you have a good work ethic). Do what you want, but their kung fu is the best. Go and see for yourself.

D

[This message was edited by Most Sweaty Mantis on 01-26-01 at 07:56 AM.]