PDA

View Full Version : North American All Mantis Tournament

seung ga faat
01-20-2001, 07:53 PM
This something I have wanted to do for sometime now. We can do it with help of this forum and great Sifu's for all of the Mantis styles northern and southern. I don't care who takes this idea and runs with it just remember I want in.
Maybe it can start out like the old Mantis nights(right Sifu Albright?)where Mantis practitioners get together and demonstrate and then go out for a meal together. We can create an All Mantis Demo Team and a Unified Mantis association....
Mantis started with a need and an idea and this is a good idea which we all need.
We the North American Practioners need to display a little more martial virtue and I am willing to start the ball rolling with this idea.

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

8stepsifu
01-20-2001, 08:46 PM
they have a mantis festival in china every year, it would be a great thing to do the us too. Lots of demos, dicusions sparring. It would also give us greater power in numbers to promote wong long's system.

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

mantis108
01-20-2001, 10:59 PM
Absolutely love the idea. Get together play and dine. Given the distance that I am at, I would try to attend. :)

Like the Olympics of Praying Mantis? Have Lion dance and Unicorn dance, Seminars, and tournaments. That would promote Mantis for sure. Is there a way to get people registered online for such an organization? So we know who's who?
From there we can have representatives. Praying Mantis Kung Fu Congress? Sounds pretty cool. You even some kind of a Mantis symposium would be great.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

seung ga faat
01-21-2001, 12:23 AM
Thanx Mantis108, that is a good idea and more than likely a good place to start. As for the background checks I'm all for it because, we must be sure about the ones that represent us.
Mantis is very popular now and those of us who can remember know that that was not always the case. There are many styles that have added mantis movements and forms to their ciriculum and if we give seminars we can also help these practioners.
This Forum has become a network for mantis discussion and ideas so let keep the ideas coming and set tentative deadline of the Summer 2002... What do you guys say also, complete your profiles so that everyone is out of the shadows or better yet e-mail me at videoworx2000@yahoo.com so,that we can get rolling. I am not mantisbigbucks but, I stillwhat this to happen. :)

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

cha kuen
01-22-2001, 11:53 AM
Great idea! I think it's better for people in the same area to get together and talk about mantis. Forming an organization without knowing someone is very dangerous. Politics and ego will tear it apart. Why do you think so many organizations have troubles today? You would all have to meet up for a week to train, touch hands, and figure out who's the best and why. Then it's that person's job to correct details on everyone else or teach them to make them better. It's better if mantis guys from the same school opened an organization.

seung ga faat
02-16-2001, 05:09 AM
I let this idea simmer a while and I have gotten some luke warm responses. Come on people we can always find ways to disagree but, how about a way to get together; AN ALL MANTIS TOURNAMENT IN NORTH AMERICA IN 2002!!!! :cool:

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

EARTH DRAGON
05-19-2001, 06:48 AM
here here its nice to see some positive people in this forum with good ideas like yours i have hosted and judged the can-am tournies in N.Y please let me know if you need help!!

http://www.kungfu.net

Located in Buffalo, NY.

Teaching 8 Step Praying Mantis Kung FU, Shyun style Tai Chi Chuan, Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung, Qi-Gong

bamboo_ leaf
05-19-2001, 08:37 AM
Sounds like a good idea. One that I would like to help support.

I would think that you would have to get people from the major mantis kwoons and have them approach their Sifus for some support.

It would be nice to have differnt schools and maybe places host seminars. Or just a listing of people in differnt areas to met and practice with.

enjoy life

bamboo leaf

MiamiMantis
05-19-2001, 10:47 PM
I thinks it's a good idea, but as usual, I'm sure politics will get in the way. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been thought of and has not materialized. I'm not "sourgrapes" ,but I don't think it can work without politics getting in the way. :D :cool: