PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Drills

Drake
03-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Army Combatives...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKCwK7MES8&NR=1

Purpose is to close the gap. What are some good CLF defenses against this, as from what I'm seeing, most of us are willing to take a few hits in order to close the gap. I know I am.

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Army Combatives...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKCwK7MES8&NR=1

Purpose is to close the gap. What are some good CLF defenses against this, as from what I'm seeing, most of us are willing to take a few hits in order to close the gap. I know I am.

Now, without gloves the "defender" would not be to inclined to drill away like this one was.
That said, what he was doing "wrong" was not using later footwork WITH the strikes, he was just moving back and striking which is "OK" to a very limited extent.
Now some can actually hit very will while back pedalling, but most can't.
It would be best to angle out while striking and get out of his way.
Most guts trying to close the gap assume the well take a few shots coming in and the go in with their hands up and chin down, more oftent than not, their aggressive movement and momentum well overwhelm the defender as they either stop moving back or run out of space or even lose balance as the back pedal.

SDJerry
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I would definitely work the footwork but what about elbows and knees? That's the first thing I would think of as soon as they got in close. I think the aggressor would also have to be very careful he didn't tuck and or/lean too much and expose the back of his neck.

Cool drill though, I'd say that most big guys are going to come at you like that.

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I would definitely work the footwork but what about elbows and knees? That's the first thing I would think of as soon as they got in close. I think the aggressor would also have to be very careful he didn't tuck and or/lean too much and expose the back of his neck.

Cool drill though, I'd say that most big guys are going to come at you like that.

Knees can be tricky, in that situation most people tend to back pedal and knee and make it easier to be taken down.
Knees VS the attempted clinch/takedown are best done in an aggressive FORWARD action, nay other way you tend to be caught on one leg and bulled over or taken down.

Kansuke
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Knees can be tricky, in that situation most people tend to back pedal and knee and make it easier to be taken down.
Knees VS the attempted clinch/takedown are best done in an aggressive FORWARD action, nay other way you tend to be caught on one leg and bulled over or taken down.

Good points by the masterless Samurai.

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Good points by the masterless Samurai.

I have my moments ;)

There are a few clips on youtube that show knee counters to attempts to close in or go for tkaedowns.
All the effective ones involved AGRESSIVE FORWARD attack, a few even jumps !
But to be fair, all the attempts at closing the distance were done far sooner than they shoudl have been and from too far away.

SDJerry
03-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I have my moments ;)

There are a few clips on youtube that show knee counters to attempts to close in or go for tkaedowns.
All the effective ones involved AGRESSIVE FORWARD attack, a few even jumps !
But to be fair, all the attempts at closing the distance were done far sooner than they shoudl have been and from too far away.

Hey, I mentioned knees AND elbows. You just ran off with the whole knees not working thing hehehe I wouldn't go for a knee first because like you said, you could loose your rooting.

How about coming in with and upward elbow strike when then guy is bent over like that... push down on his head and the explode up with the elbow. There are several crane techniques where you strike that way after a punch has been blocked. You could also side step the guy and use the rotation of your hips to get a lot of torque on an elbow to the side of the head.

I would go for a knee after I've softened him up a little bit with some elbows to stop his forward momentum... if he's still up. Not to say I'm the man and could pull that off everytime but that would be where my mind would be going in that sort of situation.

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey, I mentioned knees AND elbows. You just ran off with the whole knees not working thing hehehe I wouldn't go for a knee first because like you said, you could loose your rooting.

How about coming in with and upward elbow strike when then guy is bent over like that... push down on his head and the explode up with the elbow. There are several crane techniques where you strike that way after a punch has been blocked. You could also side step the guy and use the rotation of your hips to get a lot of torque on an elbow to the side of the head.

I would go for a knee after I've softened him up a little bit with some elbows to stop his forward momentum... if he's still up. Not to say I'm the man and could pull that off everytime but that would be where my mind would be going in that sort of situation.

I didn't mention elbows because there is nothing wrong with doing them !
;)

Elbows are great, they just need to come from a natural position or from a "natural ready" stance.
The biggest issue is that the need to work very close and that is the point of going for the clinch, to get in close.
You need to drill elbows VS the clinch AND in the clinch because its pretty easy to get into the clinch from elbow range.
Pushing down on his head and bringing up the elbow sounds great, though I must admit, I h ave never seen it done, inital contact tends to dictate a response.
By grabbing the head to hit with the elbow you will "trigger" the attack from the person trying to clinch, so as you try to elbow he is countering your fist move the grab, typically bu punching you in the face.
Probbaly better to be more economical and elbow right off the bat.
When you make it about "grabbing" you are doing what he wants you to, starting the "clinch war".

SDJerry
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I didn't mention elbows because there is nothing wrong with doing them !
;)

Elbows are great, they just need to come from a natural position or from a "natural ready" stance.
The biggest issue is that the need to work very close and that is the point of going for the clinch, to get in close.
You need to drill elbows VS the clinch AND in the clinch because its pretty easy to get into the clinch from elbow range.
Pushing down on his head and bringing up the elbow sounds great, though I must admit, I h ave never seen it done, inital contact tends to dictate a response.
By grabbing the head to hit with the elbow you will "trigger" the attack from the person trying to clinch, so as you try to elbow he is countering your fist move the grab, typically bu punching you in the face.
Probbaly better to be more economical and elbow right off the bat.
When you make it about "grabbing" you are doing what he wants you to, starting the "clinch war".

The side step I was talking about would be thrown from a ready stance. You would side step and instead of using the turning waist to throw your power... you would throw the elbow instead. You would want to pay close attention to your step to make sure you were still in good elbow range though.

The upward elbow would would be timed right as you were going to make the clinch. You would go in and grab just like you were going to throw a knee except you would push down quickly and then fire up with the elbow. You would definitely want to pay attention to your distance so you don't give up a leg.

Not to say these techniques are 100%, there's risk in anything and I'm definitely not a master hehehe How would you handle the situation?

sanjuro_ronin
03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
The side step I was talking about would be thrown from a ready stance. You would side step and instead of using the turning waist to throw your power... you would throw the elbow instead. You would want to pay close attention to your step to make sure you were still in good elbow range though.

The upward elbow would would be timed right as you were going to make the clinch. You would go in and grab just like you were going to throw a knee except you would push down quickly and then fire up with the elbow. You would definitely want to pay attention to your distance so you don't give up a leg.

Not to say these techniques are 100%, there's risk in anything and I'm definitely not a master hehehe How would you handle the situation?

I don't believe in "do A if he does B and do D if he does X".
Best to focus on principles and not techniques.
What would I do:
If my forte was grappling I would allow him to clinch and make him pay for it.
If my Forte was striking and clinch work, I wiould let him close and make him pay for it.
If my forte was striking, I would KO his ass before he clinched.
If he was a better fighter, I get beat like a little beeotch !!
:D