PDA

View Full Version : non profits

Lucas
03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
there is always talk regarding money when we talk about martial arts schools.

Why do you think it is you dont see to many not for profit martial arts schools.

some MA schools operate like this, and do very well by their students and instructors.

it also eliminates the aspect of teaching only for the money, as its non profit.

just a thought.

what are yours?

Xiao3 Meng4
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I like the idea of non-profit MA clubs. I've heard that they're financially viable. I think it could actually increase membership, improve attendance at amateur events, and perhaps even benefit a community with volunteer or charity work. It would reflect well in the public's eye and on MA, particularly the styles methods and instructors at the non-profit.

Best Wishes and much respect to whoever takes the plunge!

Drake
03-06-2009, 06:32 PM
How would the school and overhead be covered? How would the sifu get by, especially if they have a family?

Lucas
03-06-2009, 06:43 PM
well as to that I am unsure. I dont know how that could work for full time teachers. But for part time teachers, and clubs, it can work. I have not looked at any MA schools non profit models, or business plans.

Im curious if anyone here is involved in anything like this in their MA experience.

Lucas
03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
just came across this forum conversation by doing a non profit ma school google search.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15980972&an=0&page=0

Shaolinlueb
03-06-2009, 07:20 PM
my friend works for united way and tried to convince me to turn my school into non profit when i had it. you can collect tuition for services. but the parents could write them off as donations or soemthing for their taxes. you can pay yourself a set salary based on how much you collect. there are a lot of loop holes.

bawang
03-06-2009, 10:16 PM
sory sanhechaun, i delet my post because i think my post wasnt not good, it long tradition for people to teach for money, but people learn from thems to so they can begin career in military or bodyguard. those school actually have reputation like universites

in today society, people do it for culture or hobbies, and people dont prove if they are good or not. i think that is a problem.s

dimethylsea
03-07-2009, 07:51 AM
The Gao bagua community in Atlanta runs it's classes under an umbrella non-profit called P.A.T.H.S. ( http://www.pathsatlanta.org/ ).

They are the group founded by Allan Pittman (student of Hung Yi-Mien, grandstudent of Zhang Jun-Feng, great-grandstudent of Gao Yi-Sheng), currently led by Dave Jones.

You might contact Dave at their website for information on how his non-profit formation experience has been, he's a very nice guy.

David Jamieson
03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
sory sanhechaun, i delet my post because i think my post wasnt not good, it long tradition for people to teach for money, but people learn from thems to so they can begin career in military or bodyguard. those school actually have reputation like universites

in today society, people do it for culture or hobbies, and people dont prove if they are good or not. i think that is a problem.s

so you would like to see a more violent society?

lol

I'd rather see more scholar warriors than just warriors.

without the scholar component you don't really need much except intention and a bigger gun.

bawang
03-07-2009, 08:37 AM
so you would like to see a more violent society?

lol

I'd rather see more scholar warriors than just warriors.

without the scholar component you don't really need much except intention and a bigger gun.

scholar warrior mentality is what brought the song dynasty down, too much and it cause corruption

as mongols, tanguts, kitais, nujurchen conquer china, each of them become chinesefied and scholarfied, each one falls after

jurchen sky king wanyan aguda was kiling at the head of his army, he kiled his own wife and father.
last jurchen(qing) emperor aisingioro puyi could not cloth or feed him self and was a homersexual

David Jamieson
03-07-2009, 12:08 PM
scholar warrior mentality is what brought the song dynasty down, too much and it cause corruption

as mongols, tanguts, kitais, nujurchen conquer china, each of them become chinesefied and scholarfied, each one falls after

jurchen sky king wanyan aguda was kiling at the head of his army, he kiled his own wife and father.
last jurchen(qing) emperor aisingioro puyi could not cloth or feed him self and was a homersexual

the last emperor was a figurehead. It was the dowager empress that ran the show. anyone who knows, knows that. Puyi was a little boy when the empire fell and became the beginning of the communist state that it is now after a few wars between north and south etc etc.

most every historical figure in most every culture, who chose to live by the sword, died by the sword and left little in the way of a dynasty to follow. Those kings and emperors who led by mind, usually wound up with dynasty and legacy in their cultures.