PDA

View Full Version : Nine Star Blocking? Wall Bag Set?

Drake
03-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Does your branch have it? A variation of it?

Open-ended question :)

Eric Olson
03-07-2009, 11:21 PM
I don't believe the "wall bag" is a traditional CLF set. Maybe something DFW invented himself?

Also, I've heard of three star and seven star blocking drill but not nine star.

Drake
03-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I don't believe the "wall bag" is a traditional CLF set. Maybe something DFW invented himself?

Also, I've heard of three star and seven star blocking drill but not nine star.

I'm thinking so. That's why I was asking...

iron_silk
03-08-2009, 02:59 AM
I learned the nine star blocking from my old CLF days...and I was just a beginner :)

taai gihk yahn
03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I learned a seven-star "blocking" routine in bagua - I wonder if there are any similarities, that would be interesting...

David Jamieson
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
yes on gao sing, no on wall bag.

sam sing, ng sing, chut sing, gao sing

Paul T England
03-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Can someone expalin the moves in 7 star and 9 star blocking please.

I was taught a drill in 7 star Mantis which I would call 5 star blocking

regular sam sing, wrist grab and leg sweep hitting calf against calf

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

David Jamieson
03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
3* - outside forearm down / outside forearm up /inside forearm down

5* - outside forearm down / outside forearm up /inside forearm down /inside forearm scrape or cutx2

7*outside forearm down / outside forearm up /inside forearm down /inside forearm scrape or cutx2 / duck under den choy (outside forearm)x2

9* outside forearm down / outside forearm up /inside forearm down /inside forearm scrape or cut / duck under den choy (outside forearm)/ rotate the waist and cut down (clothesline strike forearm to forearm)

of course these all go in pairs and flow together one after the other in cycles with no stopping.

Drake
03-10-2009, 05:19 AM
My nine-star works differently...

David Jamieson
03-10-2009, 05:21 AM
My nine-star works differently...

cool. how's it go?

Drake
03-10-2009, 05:36 AM
cool. how's it go?

Inward block, upper block, outer block high, then low, then gwa choi, then back fist, a couple of yum tsops while moving from diu ma to ding ji ma at two different points, chop choi from the twist stance, a couple more yum tsops, then do it again :) You are kind of moving in a circle with your partner while doing this.

David Jamieson
03-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Inward block, upper block, outer block high, then low, then gwa choi, then back fist, a couple of yum tsops while moving from diu ma to ding ji ma at two different points, chop choi from the twist stance, a couple more yum tsops, then do it again :) You are kind of moving in a circle with your partner while doing this.

yeah we had a moving version as well and a tighter version where each move was an attack and a defense.

cool.

it's not too hard to devise new drills beyond the 3 stars though. take some of the hallmark stuff from the style, mirror it, attack and defend with it.

takes time and practice, but it's a good conditioning method for the bridges. not as hard a surface as a mook jong, but a different dynamic overall which is helpful in the overall progress of the person doing it.

Drake
03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
yeah we had a moving version as well and a tighter version where each move was an attack and a defense.

cool.

it's not too hard to devise new drills beyond the 3 stars though. take some of the hallmark stuff from the style, mirror it, attack and defend with it.

takes time and practice, but it's a good conditioning method for the bridges. not as hard a surface as a mook jong, but a different dynamic overall which is helpful in the overall progress of the person doing it.

This is kind of an intro, from what I interpreted. Afterwards, you have the wall bag set, a slightly more solid surface, and immovable. And then you move on to flesh against wood.

taai gihk yahn
03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
this would be a great topic to post video about...

Drake
03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
If I get approval, I'll post.... but don't laugh at meeeeee!:eek:

*insert Adam Sandler skit*

Me: GM, may I post video of me doing the

GM: NOOOOOOOOO!

Me: But we're discussing the types o-

GM: THEY'RE ALL GOING TO LAUGH AT YOU!

Me: But...

GM: NOOOOOOO!

-disclaimer- If you don't know the skit, you won't get this... -disclaimer-

David Jamieson
03-11-2009, 04:47 AM
this would be a great topic to post video about...

*Lookin at you Parella*

:p

sanjuro_ronin
03-11-2009, 05:47 AM
This is kind of an intro, from what I interpreted. Afterwards, you have the wall bag set, a slightly more solid surface, and immovable. And then you move on to flesh against wood.

I do my blocking VS a steel pole, cause that's how I roll !!
:p

Ben Gash
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
The sand dummy (wallbag) form is a traditional set in the King Mui lineage (Chan Koon Pak-Chan Yiu Chi-Hu Yuen Chou).

Ben Gash
03-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Here's a video of 9 star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGFYN0Peao4&feature=related

David Jamieson
03-19-2009, 04:56 AM
interesting. totally different from the version i learned.