PDA

View Full Version : just a rant...

TenTigers
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I dunno about you guys, but I find it annoying when people refer to Kung-Fu as "the Fu," Wing Chun as "The Chun," and WC people as "Chunners" etc.
There is a school near me teaching some made up crap, and they refer to Dit Da Jow as "Dit." -farkin stupid, if ya ask me.
But I'm just a Garer, what do I know?

banditshaw
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Word?
I thought you were a Hung' un.

Speaking of crappy schools, I passed by a Ninjitsu school yesterday which had a really cheesy lifesized dummy complete with Ninja garb and Ninja sword. I'm almost tempted to go in and check it out. Hell, maybe John Takeshi will be there:eek:

Mr Punch
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Aye, well, that's the English language for you. Don't get hung garp on it, man.

Chun and chunners don't bother me, as a practitioner of wing chun kuen kung fu, it's just a convenient abbreviation.

I can see why 'dit' ****es you off: they should know that jow is the noun, and dit in this case is an adjective. Oh well, time to get off my portable and make a call on my mobile.

Maybe what really ****es you off is just that they are a ****ty school...?! :D

SanHeChuan
03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Can't say I'm with you.

I am with punch on the 'jow'

But I'm of the opinion that there is not such thing as "not a word" as long as we can both understand the sounds comming out of my mouth, it's a word. :cool:

Shaolinlueb
03-09-2009, 07:14 PM
pass the jow will ya dit? :eek::o

brothernumber9
03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
reminds me of when MerryPrankster told a story how he met a guy who was a know-it-all and called Jiu-Jitsu "the jits". I still laugh a bit when I think of some deuchebag saying "yeah, I know 'the jits'. ".

David Jamieson
03-10-2009, 05:28 AM
People have this thing about wanting to be overly familiar with things as if that gives them more cred.

as an example.

My mom is english by birth. My wife and I visited buckingham palace last year.
When we returned and were recounting some of the things we saw and did, my mom had this thing about referring to the palace as "buck house".

This raised my eyebrow, because even though she was born in england, she had never set foot in London let alone the palace. (In fact there's a lot of londoners who've never been either, but that's like any city that has an attraction).

I would compare stories like this to the one that TT just told. It's human nature to attempt to identify with something and the more familiar and teh more you use sobriquets for said thing, the more familiar you are supposed to be seen as I guess. There's a lesson here...somewhere. Probably a lesson in social invisibility. :D

meh, oh well, chuckle and move on!

jo
03-10-2009, 06:31 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I find it annoying when people refer to Kung-Fu as "the Fu," Wing Chun as "The Chun," and WC people as "Chunners" etc.
There is a school near me teaching some made up crap, and they refer to Dit Da Jow as "Dit." -farkin stupid, if ya ask me.
But I'm just a Garer, what do I know?

I thought you was a "Hung Lummer"! ;-)

- jo

WinterPalm
03-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I've heard guys call it 'the jits'...I just usually say "time to cuddle in our pajamas" or "the ghey" for short.;):D

But seriously, if you think too hard it is...kinda...doesn't mean it isn't an awesome martial art and effective as all heck, not to mention fun...but that eye contact poster has it all down pat.;)

SanHeChuan
03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Dude I'm going to call it "teh ghey" from now on. Even when I practice it. :D

Teh ghey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpceOOk2zog)

Merryprankster
03-11-2009, 06:01 AM
I've heard guys call it 'the jits'...I just usually say "time to cuddle in our pajamas" or "the ghey" for short.;):D

But seriously, if you think too hard it is...kinda...doesn't mean it isn't an awesome martial art and effective as all heck, not to mention fun...but that eye contact poster has it all down pat.;)

I was JUST about to post "the jits."

I don't remember the story, but I really hate that. Ugh. It just sounds so....

LAME.

And yup, it basically looks like rough gay sex in pajamas.

CFT
03-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Not as ghey as oiled wrestlers in skimpy shorts!

Pork Chop
03-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I was JUST about to post "the jits."
I don't remember the story, but I really hate that. Ugh. It just sounds so....
LAME.
And yup, it basically looks like rough gay sex in pajamas.

I must admit, I've uttered the phrase "I've heard his jits is pretty slick" and I must now bow my head in shame.