PDA

View Full Version : Internal Arts question

m0nk
03-10-2009, 06:15 AM
I've been training in wushu for about 3 years, with various other martial arts experience in the past. Recently I've been considering learning some of the internal martial arts such as Xingyi and Baguazhang, but haven't been able to find a local instructor. There are numerous DVDs out there but I'm a little suspicious of this aspect because I'm worried about what sort of damage this could cause being internal arts. Can anyone give some insight into what could go wrong from learning Xingyi or Bagua from DVDs? Should they only be used as supplemental learning resources to use along side training from a real master? Thanks!

-Alex
m0nk

mawali
03-10-2009, 06:54 AM
DVDs' SHOULD be used an introduction and supplemental learning tool.
To get the actual jibengong and shenfa, teacher is of utmost importance.

Copying movement is great performance art encompassing gymnastic and such relating to wushu. If you want usage, martial orientation and corrrect body adjustment based on the art then a teacher is still a major part of the equation!

sanjuro_ronin
03-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Post where abouts you live, I am sure someone can help you find a good teacher.
Almost every city has a tai chi school.

m0nk
03-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys. I live in Camp Hill, Pa.

Dale Dugas
03-10-2009, 07:19 AM
you should come out to the Gathering of the circle and get a weeks worth of training in with a whole collection of Jiulong Baguazhang players.

Its held in the catskill mountains not too far away from you.

Contact me for more info.

m0nk
03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
you should come out to the Gathering of the circle and get a weeks worth of training in with a whole collection of Jiulong Baguazhang players.

Its held in the catskill mountains not too far away from you.

Contact me for more info.

Thanks, but I'm a single parent and can't get away for that amount of time.

Chris-H
03-12-2009, 05:39 PM
m0nk,

I think that it is a good thing that you have some background experience in other martial arts. IMO it can be helpful if you don't try and attach anything you are learning to what you have already done. Utilize your previous trainings' benefits like balance, better coordination, etc.

There are numerous DVDs out there but I'm a little suspicious of this aspect because I'm worried about what sort of damage this could cause being internal arts.
I think that you can use a dvd to supplement some existing training, but not to learn from extensively.
My best advice would be to find somewhere, even if it is a bit out of your way, learn from them and then supplement.

Best of luck!
Chris

bawang
03-14-2009, 08:10 AM
it looks like he just wants to ask about dvds and not learn from real people

Katsu Jin Ken
03-28-2009, 06:59 PM
how about in southwest missouri around the springfield/willard area? Seminars would be great as well.

m0nk
03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
it looks like he just wants to ask about dvds and not learn from real people

That's actually untrue. I've been learning Wushu from real people for over 3 years. It's just that lately I've had an interest in styles that aren't taught locally. I have, however, found a coach at my current school who will be able to teach me the styles I want, but not until next year's cycle begins. Right now they are tied up with teaching bajiquan.

air
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
There is no substitute to training with a real person.

Three Harmonies
04-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Who is teaching Baji in Penn? Must be wushu Baji, yes?
Thanks
Jake