PDA

View Full Version : A theory of pain

SanHeChuan
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Your body feels pain to warn you, not punish you.
most people think that the amount of pain they feel is equal to the amount of damage being done to their body. This is not so.

You body needs to learn what pain means, to give the appropriate warning.
For new pain, unfamiliar pain, your body freaks out and signals for more pain, unsure of the consequences of the damage.
But for pain that is familiar, that your body knows the damage being done, the pain response is less.

Yes, no, maybe so?

Side note: I have broken 3 bones, and each time felt minimal/no pain. So maybe it's just me.

Reverend Tap
03-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Eh, I dunno. Seems like you might be ascribing intent where there is none.

IMO, it just seems more like you get accustomed to the pain you've endured before, rather than actually feeling less. I can certainly say that when I hold ma bu to failure now it hurts no less than it did back when failure occurred within a minute; I'm just far more accustomed to dealing with that pain than when I started out. My experiences in gymnastics were similar; objectively, getting rips (dime- to quarter-sized pieces of skin tearing off the palm, most common injury in gymnastics) always hurt exactly the same amount, but after a few years I could just slap some chalk on it and get back on the equipment no problem. "New" pain is felt more sharply, just as sunlight is seen as brighter right when you walk outside; you haven't had a chance to become accustomed to it yet.

Pain is really no different from any other stimulus. When you smell something for a length of time, you stop noticing it, even if it hasn't actually diminished. The nerves will fire just the same regardless.

This is a bit OT, but I knew a guy in college who was literally incapable of feeling pain of any kind. Had some sort of nerve disorder. He was a dancer, not a martial artist, but it's still probably going to lead to a significantly reduced lifespan. Pain is a good and necessary thing, after all.

David Jamieson
03-12-2009, 03:46 AM
pain is an announcement of damage and a reminder of healing.

...basically. :)

Shaolinlueb
03-12-2009, 07:49 AM
i think pain is there because its your body saying enough is enough, i can't take much more of it.

but kung fu a lot of us work through pain and how to deal with. no one remembers sitting in the low horse, your legs are killing you, wabbling and the teacher says "pain is in the mind, your legs can still take it cause they have not given out yet."???

Drake
03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Pain is weakness leaving the body. RAWR!

Shaolinlueb
03-12-2009, 07:52 AM
pain is weakness leaving the body. Rawr!

rawr!!!!!!!!!!

David Jamieson
03-12-2009, 09:09 AM
rawr!!!!!!!!!!

rawr!!!!!!

&

rawrrrr!!!!!

Pork Chop
03-12-2009, 09:13 AM
rawr!!!!!!
&
rawrrrr!!!!!