PDA

View Full Version : Information (reviews and stuff) on some books I might buy

Xebsball
10-27-2001, 04:45 PM
I was looking to buy some kung fu books and i came up with this small list of ones im interested in.
Could some of you give me some information on should i buy or not? Are they good?

Here is the list:
- Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee
- Dynamic Strength by Harry Wong
- The Martial Artists Guide to Ancient Chinese Weapons: An Easy Referenc by Yang Jwing-Ming

-------------------------
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt
I'm too sexy for your mother, too sexy for your mother
So sexy, YEAH

Felipe Bido
10-27-2001, 04:57 PM
I got the book, and I like it. Although some people say that it's not too good.

-------------------------Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
--Samuel Goldwin

rogue
10-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Books that you may find more pertinent for the real world than Tao of JKD are,
A Professionals Guide to Ending Violence Quickly, by Marc MacYoung
and
The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker.

For excercise I'd pick up the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips.

For techniques,
Brazillian Jui-Jitsu by Renzo & Royler Gracie.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

Kung Lek
10-27-2001, 06:14 PM
I liked Yang Jwing Ming's reference book. Not really comprehensive, but at least you can learn the names of the weapons and see some drawings of some of the more obscure weapons.

The stuff in the Lee book is a compilation of things that are found elsewhere.
Mr. Lee had a tendency to not give credit where credit was due :rolleyes:

The other book, I haven't heard of.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Watchman
10-27-2001, 07:02 PM
Rogue is correct.

popsider
10-27-2001, 07:28 PM
The Dynamic Strength book is a waste of time.

rogue
10-28-2001, 02:28 AM
Found the titles of two others that are must haves, A Bouncers Guide To Barroom Brawling by Peyton Quinn and Cheap Shots, Ambushes and Other Lessons by Marc "Animal" MacYoung. I wish I had these books 20+ years ago when I was young, stupid and willing to fight at the drop of a hat.

Also throw in Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz, Stretching by Bob Anderson, The Face of Battle, A History of Warfare, both by John Keegan and Obsession by John Douglas(the first profiler of serial killers).

I'm assuming that you already have the Art of War, The Book of Five Rings and The Prince by Machiavelli.

The problem I have with Tao of JKD is that it's made up of notes, works in progress, observations and second or third hand philosophy. Lee was on the right track but since he never finished I wouldn't base my fighting style on it.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.