PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Immortality is real !!

sanjuro_ronin
03-12-2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.answers.com/topic/jack-la-lanne

* Born: 26 September 1914
* Birthplace: San Francisco, California
* Best Known As: Pioneering fitness enthusiast

Jack La Lanne hosted a nationally syndicated TV exercise show from 1951 until 1985, preaching good nutrition and physical fitness long before it was popular in the United States. Impressed by a lecture on nutrition which he heard at age 15, La Lanne eventually opened a health club in Oakland, California in 1936. He invented what are considered to be the first modern weight machines for exercising, and his TV show was decades ahead of its time. To draw attention to the powers of physical fitness, La Lanne performed many famous publicity stunts over the years, including doing 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes and, on his 70th birthday, towing 70 boats carrying 70 people while swimming handcuffed and shackled.

Timeline: Jack LaLanne's feats

As reported on Jack LaLanne's website, and as documented contemporaneously when they happened:

* 1954 (age 40): Jack swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, underwater, with 140 pounds of equipment, including two air tanks. A world record.
* 1955 (age 41): Jack swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco while handcuffed. When interviewed afterwards he was quoted as saying that the worst thing about the ordeal was being handcuffed, which reduced his chance to star jump significantly.
* 1956 (age 42): Jack set a world record of 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes on You Asked For It, a television program with Art Baker.
* 1957 (age 43): Jack swam the Golden Gate channel while towing a 2,500-pound cabin cruiser. The swift ocean currents turned this one-mile swim into a swimming distance of 6.5 miles.
* 1958 (age 44): Jack maneuvered a paddleboard nonstop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore. The 30-mile trip took 9.5 hours.
* 1959 (age 45): Jack did 1,000 star jumps and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes. His well-known white German shepherd, Happy, was born this year, the same year The Jack LaLanne Show went nationwide.
* 1974 (age 60): For the second time, Jack swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000-pound boat.
* 1975 (age 61): Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, Jack again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000-pound boat.
* 1976 (age 62): To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, Jack swam one mile in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.
* 1979 (age 65): Jack towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 pounds of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.
* 1980 (age 66): Jack towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile in less than one hour.
* 1984 (age 70): Once again handcuffed and shackled, Jack fought strong winds and currents as he swam 1.5 miles while towing 70 boats with 70 people from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary.
* 1992 (age 78): Jack received the Academy of Body Building and Fitness Award.
* 1994 (age 80): Jack received the State of California Governor's Council on Physical Fitness Lifetime Achievement Award.
* 1996 (age 82): Jack received the Dwight D. Eisenhower Fitness Award.
* 1999 (age 85): Jack received the Spirit of Muscle Beach Award.
* 2002 (age 88): Jack received a star on the Hollywood Boulevard Walk of Fame.
* 2004 (age 90): Jack celebrated his 90th birthday in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. ESPN Classic ran a 24-hour marathon of the original Jack LaLanne television shows.
* 2004 (age 90): Jack became the official spokesperson for Covenant Reliance Producers, LLC, a Financial Marketing Organization based in Nashville Tennessee
* 2005 (age 91): Jack received the Jack Webb Award from the Los Angeles Police Department Historical Society, the Arnold Classic Lifetime Achievement Award, Interglobal's International Infomercial Award, the Freddie, and the Medical Media Public Service Award, and he was a Free Spirit honoree at Al Neuharth's Freedom Forum.

Pork Chop
03-12-2009, 08:40 AM
when I had tv a few years ago I would wake up and watch his old tv show.
can't remember what channel but they would play the old black n white episodes.
dude's energy always got me going in the morning.
wish i was in as good shape as he still is to this day. :)

sanjuro_ronin
03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
The man is a mutant I tell you !

All this and no chi kung !!!
:eek:

David Jamieson
03-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Jack Lalanne did plenty of breath work, but he wasn't indian or chinese so he didn't call it qigong or prana. lol

I watched his show all the time.
He has one of the best collection fo fitness videos for mind and body available on youtube.

jack is the man.

kwaichang
03-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Jack Lalanne says "I cant die it would ruin my reputation" KC

Zenshiite
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I watch his juicer infomercial every Sunday.

I want that machine.

He's America's Iron Crotch!