PDA

View Full Version : OT: New school website

wetwonder
03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I hope it's OK - I want to put up our school's new web address. The page is coming along but is still under construction. Any comments would be helpful Thanks.

www.cheungkungfu.com

BoulderDawg
03-15-2009, 12:51 PM
It's a work in progress so that's good.

One thing I might do is bring a professional photographer in there to take some good pictures.

Also take some time with the written word about your sifu.

To start with it's about 75% too long. To be honest no one really cares that he has five brothers and two sisters, that he worked at the airport or how he felt when he moved to America.

Also, I kept getting the stories of the two sifus mixed up. They should be separate.

Finally watch what you claim. Frankly the statement "the vast majority of sifus were immoral" is irresponsible. I simply don't believe that and besides morality is subjective. Anyway the respectability of your teacher is for others to decide and should be self evident.

lkfmdc
03-15-2009, 12:58 PM
very cool to see another Dang Fong lineage getting visiable attention, keep at it and publish some good history!

wetwonder
03-15-2009, 01:07 PM
It's a work in progress so that's good.

One thing I might do is bring a professional photographer in there to take some good pictures.

Also take some time with the written word about your sifu.

To start with it's about 75% too long. To be honest no one really cares that he has five brothers and two sisters, that he worked at the airport or how he felt when he moved to America.

Also, I kept getting the stories of the two sifus mixed up. They should be separate.

Finally watch what you claim. Frankly the statement "the vast majority of sifus were immoral" is irresponsible. I simply don't believe that and besides morality is subjective. Anyway the respectability of your teacher is for others to decide and should be self evident.

Thanks BoulderDawg,

Sifu himself contributed the stuff other sifus of 30+ years ago in Hong Kong, so it's a point of view I suppose.

SanHeChuan
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
You need to tone that yellow way way down. While it can still be your primary color I would go with a lighter and darker yellow combination. It should also be offset by accent colors, in your case probably black and red.

wetwonder
03-15-2009, 02:20 PM
You need to tone that yellow way way down. While it can still be your primary color I would go with a lighter and darker yellow combination. It should also be offset by accent colors, in your case probably black and red.

Thanks San, If you're a web builder, can you recommend the color code for the yellow you are picturing? Thanks.

Oso
03-15-2009, 05:18 PM
i liked the history about your teacher...inspiring.

and, imho, many teachers today are immoral...maybe not 'most' but enough...why would it be surprising that many or most of them were immoral during a time of unrest in china...it does sort of specify during the time of the communist revolution.

BoulderDawg
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
why would it be surprising that many or most of them were immoral during a time of unrest in china...it does sort of specify during the time of the communist revolution.

Several things: He mentioned the "Vast majority". I just have trouble buying that the "vast majority" of any group of people would be immoral. If for no other reason than if the vast majority is doing something then the society no longer deems it immoral.

Also, what does the communist revoultion or unrest in China have to do with this? He wasn't in China.

Oso
03-15-2009, 05:34 PM
enh, literary license ...who cares?

David Jamieson
03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
site doesn't seem to work properly in firefox.

SanHeChuan
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Maybe lighter one and then the darker one?
http://www.colorcombos.com/color-scheme-261.html
http://www.colorschemer.com/schemes/viewscheme.php?id=6736

But you can look around

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=color+website+scheme&aq=1&oq=color+website

Pork Chop
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I hope it's OK - I want to put up our school's new web address. The page is coming along but is still under construction. Any comments would be helpful Thanks.

I wonder if JeLei Sifu's back at the kwoon.
Kinda knew/know Alvin and some of the others.
Wonder who's still around, those guys were always fun to hang with.

bakxierboxer
03-15-2009, 11:31 PM
site doesn't seem to work properly in firefox.

Worked just fine with my 3.0.7.....

wetwonder
03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
The second page of about a half dozen posts that was here yesterday has disappeared. ?????

David Jamieson
03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
odd. doesn't work in netscape9 either.

the posts are missing because the server lost all of yesterdays posts.
database server pooched I guess.

ah well, it happens.

Shaolinlueb
03-17-2009, 07:36 AM
i hear websites look different in canada. is that true?

i wouldnt bother testing a website on netscape or opera tell you the truth.

ie, firefox. if it works on firefox, it should work on safari, netscape, and opera.

David Jamieson
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM

i wouldnt bother testing a website on netscape or opera tell you the truth.

ie, firefox. if it works on firefox, it should work on safari, netscape, and opera.

yeah, it doesn't work properly in firefox either.

all the graphics links are broken.
the code is...well not exactly up to snuff. there are backslashes where there should be foreslashes and other little things that make it sputtery.

so, IE can interpret that, but unless you got an addin that makes way for frontpage common snafus, then a lot of people aren't going to see the site properly. (im guessing you firefox folks that can see the content fully have frontpage addins turned on in your browser)

as for browsers and testing, when you have to write detection pages you have to write them for all available browsers even if only 3 people in the whole world use it (looking at you opera) lol.

It is indeed important to get your website right. It will be hit on in searches for your school, it will be used more often by searches than the yellow pages.

everything is going digital and in a few years you will have a hard time finding paper branding for such things and the internet will be the only thing that is viable for presenting yourself.

first impressions are very important.

(just some friendly advice from a coder) :)

lkfmdc
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM

they are viewed counterclockwise up there

wetwonder
03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
yeah, it doesn't work properly in firefox either.

all the graphics links are broken.
the code is...well not exactly up to snuff. there are backslashes where there should be foreslashes and other little things that make it sputtery.

so, IE can interpret that, but unless you got an addin that makes way for frontpage common snafus, then a lot of people aren't going to see the site properly. (im guessing you firefox folks that can see the content fully have frontpage addins turned on in your browser)

as for browsers and testing, when you have to write detection pages you have to write them for all available browsers even if only 3 people in the whole world use it (looking at you opera) lol.

It is indeed important to get your website right. It will be hit on in searches for your school, it will be used more often by searches than the yellow pages.

everything is going digital and in a few years you will have a hard time finding paper branding for such things and the internet will be the only thing that is viable for presenting yourself.

first impressions are very important.

(just some friendly advice from a coder) :)

Thanks for all your advice. I just went and fixed some of those problems. It should work in Firefox now. I'm a very rusty html writer, so bear with me. I still recall being resistant when the "mouse" came out, as I was accustomed to navigating the screen with the keyboard, and for the most part still do.

The web site is not populated to the search engines yet - just setup on the domain so I could pass it by you folks for suggestions. Thanks for them all. I should have it mostly complete in a couple of weeks.

David Jamieson
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I just went and fixed some of those problems. It should work in Firefox now. I'm a very rusty html writer, so bear with me. I still recall being resistant when the "mouse" came out, as I was accustomed to navigating the screen with the keyboard, and for the most part still do.

The web site is not populated to the search engines yet - just setup on the domain so I could pass it by you folks for suggestions. Thanks for them all. I should have it mostly complete in a couple of weeks.

bing bing bing!
well done, you have corrected the immediate issues.
now it's a matter of filling up the content.

good job. :)

wetwonder
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
The site is mostly drafted out now. Can any of you web folks advise me on how to now get the site to recognize on the search engines?

Pork Chop
03-22-2009, 10:14 PM
The site is mostly drafted out now. Can any of you web folks advise me on how to now get the site to recognize on the search engines?

still can't see any of the images on any of the other pages, except for the splash page.

I think I know the girl on the splash page, and if she don't remember me (yes my name's pork chop), she'll at least remember jerry (my buddy).

Oso
03-23-2009, 02:32 AM

use good 'metatags' and submit to each search engine often...but, i'm just repeating what my site manager says she does.

wetwonder
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
oso and pork chop,

would you please check the site again and see if it will load now.

thanks, ww

Pork Chop
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
seems to all be working well now

wetwonder
06-06-2009, 07:32 AM
I registered with google and yahoo 2 or 3 months ago, but when I search on +"kung fu" +philadelphia, the website does not come up. It only comes up if I put in specific terms, eg. +Cheung +"hung gar" +"siu lum" +philadelphia.

Anyone have tips on how to get it to appear or come up higher in the search results?

www.cheungkungfu.com

David Jamieson
06-07-2009, 06:12 AM
I registered with google and yahoo 2 or 3 months ago, but when I search on +"kung fu" +philadelphia, the website does not come up. It only comes up if I put in specific terms, eg. +Cheung +"hung gar" +"siu lum" +philadelphia.

Anyone have tips on how to get it to appear or come up higher in the search results?

www.cheungkungfu.com

1. Get the site entered at dmoz. ( http://www.dmoz.org )

2. whatever you enter there by their guidelines, also have that exact same text in your description metatags. and have the title of the site in the first 7 words.
use the first 7 keywords in your keywords to match those.

3. reciprocal link to as many sites in the same genre as you can.

4. as a last resort, set a budget and get into the google ad words game. bid on the key words you want and make sure they match those you have entered at dmoz.org.

dmoz is important because it is the underlying directory from where most all search engines get their base data, google included, it is the directory to be listed in.

really put the effort in up fron before entering the info, you can't go back and edit at your leisure, so think about it first.

anyone else who is doing a website, follow these steps and save yourself the consultant fees. :p They'll charge you too much to basically reiterate that. I've been doing seo since the late nineties btw and fwiw.

these days, you need to spend a little bit, but mostly it is about linking and having more links to your site from other sites tat are in the same genre and that use the same block of keywords. So put your networking hat on, you're gonna need it. And keep your content fresh and interesting so that people will want to link to your site.

If it's the same unchanging stuff all the time, nobody will give a crap and your rank will fall.

also it's organic. You have to maintain it regularly and so on.

MasterKiller
06-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Of course, a more simple but equally important concept is to make sure you use all the key phrases on your homepage.

You don't have the phrase "kung fu" at all on the homepage, which is one reason why you can't find it by searching for that phrase. You could put something as simple as "Teaching authentic kung fu in the greater Philadelphia area since 199X."

Also, in your meta tags, include variations of common words. For example, you have "kung fu" in your meta tags, but not "kungfu". You have "Hung Gar" but not "hunggar." Not everyone uses proper grammar when searching. ;)

wetwonder
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
"Kung Fu" appears in Title 1 at the top of the page - "CHEUNG KUNG FU ACADEMY."

That's a good tip about putting in "kungfu" and "hunggar" - thanks.

wetwonder
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=David Jamieson;939860]1. Get the site entered at dmoz. ( http://www.dmoz.org )

Thanks Dave. I did register w/ dmoz from your initial suggestion back then. I'll also go through your other points.