03-17-2009, 07:07 AM
A clip from Sifu Mazza's March 14, Biu Jee seminar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbGfWIDFuA

dnovice
03-17-2009, 07:35 AM
nice video phil.

Phil Redmond
03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I just had to mention that there were people from other WC lineages there and they were pleased at the seminar. We treated them as family.

AdrianK
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Technique-wise it looks good. I can't say theres anything wrong with the concept or physical ability.

The jab actually looks decent, but I cant help but wonder why theres no realistic follow-up techniques. As a boxer if someone tried to pin my arm at the elbow like that my natural reaction would be to drop the hand to my waist and throw an uppercut to their chin... definitely NOT to tense up my arm so I get thrown off balance.

That being said, obviously theres always a counter to a counter no matter what you do, and with my experience in TWC, i know how they'd deal with that uppercut too... just from my experience with the training in TWC I also understand how little its dealt with in that way, training-wise, in general :)

Phil Redmond
03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Technique-wise it looks good. I can't say theres anything wrong with the concept or physical ability.

The jab actually looks decent, but I cant help but wonder why theres no realistic follow-up techniques. As a boxer if someone tried to pin my arm at the elbow like that my natural reaction would be to drop the hand to my waist and throw an uppercut to their chin... definitely NOT to tense up my arm so I get thrown off balance.

That being said, obviously theres always a counter to a counter no matter what you do, and with my experience in TWC, i know how they'd deal with that uppercut too... just from my experience with the training in TWC I also understand how little its dealt with in that way, training-wise, in general :)
He also could have done a round punch or hook. It was a demo. We teach counters to ALL the possibilities. Is the only way so show something in the martial art is to knock someone out or draw blood? The guy Keith demo'd with Keith is also a boxer so we all know the what ifs. The purpose of that "drill" was to teach how to open and stabilize a specific point on the side of the body.

Phil Redmond
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
. . . .The jab actually looks decent, but I cant help but wonder why theres no realistic follow-up techniques. As a boxer if someone tried to pin my arm at the elbow like that my natural reaction would be to drop the hand to my waist and throw an uppercut to their chin... definitely NOT to tense up my arm so I get thrown off balance. I just got your point. The arm was held there to show the strike to the body. I can open up a jab or uppercut while the arm is being re-chambered. We train with a re-chambering arm as well. I'll make a clip during Sat class.

anerlich
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Can't watch video at work, I greatly look forward to seeing KM in action on my next non-training night.

AdrianK
03-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Sounds good Sifu Redmond. That's good to hear you guys train against those possibilities as well. I know the TWC drills for the combination's and such, but so many people I've trained with, will stop at the jab, or stop at the jab/hook. Thats good to hear you guys actually put in the time to get those things down.

Phil Redmond
03-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Sounds good Sifu Redmond. That's good to hear you guys train against those possibilities as well. I know the TWC drills for the combination's and such, but so many people I've trained with, will stop at the jab, or stop at the jab/hook. Thats good to hear you guys actually put in the time to get those things down.
Here's a clip from Sat.. I have an intermediate student dealing with random strikes from Sifu Rahsun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrv9OZkbUXI

AdrianK
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Looks good Sifu Redmond. I like the sparring part, definitely. Sometime I would like to see how you deal with infighter methods. Not necessarily the getting away part, but what happens when you're forced to deal with someone who is stuck on your inside, throwing very short uppercuts and hooks.

Phil Redmond
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Looks good Sifu Redmond. I like the sparring part, definitely. Sometime I would like to see how you deal with infighter methods. Not necessarily the getting away part, but what happens when you're forced to deal with someone who is stuck on your inside, throwing very short uppercuts and hooks.
I do what I did when I was kickboxing, stick and hit.

Phil Redmond
03-17-2009, 07:08 PM
I forgot to add elbows and knees. (They were allowed in the Fu Jow Pai events).

AdrianK
03-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Which is a great method. Any kind of trapping/deflections or techniques you prefer? Jut Sao is one i've seen used a lot(most of the time against non-boxers trying to do uppercuts), and biu or tan on the inside against hooks... Do you incorporate body movement at all? Slips/Weaves?

Ah, elbows and knees are great on the inside.