PDA

View Full Version : Rick Spain awarded Kyokushin Black Belt

anerlich
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
On Sunday my Wing Chun instructor Rick Spain ws tested for and achieved his black belt in Kyokushin Karate.

A brief report:

Im very proud, today ive been weighed and measured and apparently ive done enough to earn the hardest black belt on earth. Im bruised and battered but still have defiantly a life changing experience I will carry the belt with honour and a healthy dose of humility. I hope I represented our code of martial art correctly and you guys were on my mind throughout what was an endurance task. We trained 2 hours Friday night then Saturday over 8 hours, 6 of which was just on kicks. Then Sunday morning nearly 6 hours for the grading at the end 30 man Kumite which ended with 10 fresh fighters each one a national champion or world rep standard. Happy to say I gave as good as I got at least I think I did.

He ws also awarded a Brown Belt in Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by John Will last year.

Not bad for a Glorified Kickboxer and Theoretical Non-Fighter in his late forties, huh?

couch
03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
On Sunday my Wing Chun instructor Rick Spain ws tested for and achieved his black belt in Kyokushin Karate.

A brief report:

Im very proud, today ive been weighed and measured and apparently ive done enough to earn the hardest black belt on earth. Im bruised and battered but still have defiantly a life changing experience I will carry the belt with honour and a healthy dose of humility. I hope I represented our code of martial art correctly and you guys were on my mind throughout what was an endurance task. We trained 2 hours Friday night then Saturday over 8 hours, 6 of which was just on kicks. Then Sunday morning nearly 6 hours for the grading at the end 30 man Kumite which ended with 10 fresh fighters each one a national champion or world rep standard. Happy to say I gave as good as I got at least I think I did.

He ws also awarded a Brown Belt in Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by John Will last year.

Not bad for a Glorified Kickboxer and Theoretical Non-Fighter in his late forties, huh?

This sh!t inspires the hell out of me! I hope to have a long career in the martial arts - my only problem is patience!!!

As Sanjuro knows, it's tough with your own business and kidlets to feed. So God knows I'd like to do more with my WC in the future and expand into other areas while trying to excel at my WC.

Again, this story is an amazing inspiration that if you've got the drive - you can do anything.

Thanks for sharing!

Wayfaring
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Congrats to Rick - living proof that fighters like leather can get tougher with age.

Phil Redmond
03-17-2009, 02:19 PM
A black belt in Kyokushin Karate is no joke. Big props to Sifu/Sensei Spain.

Ultimatewingchun
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Congratulations to Rick Spain. ;) :cool:

Mr Punch
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Add my congratulations.

30-man kumite... nice... haven't had a mosh-up like that for years! Not that I've ever had one so severe.

Makes me chuckle though; the thought of most chunners finishing a one-man kumite, without going, 'Stop! Stop! Hold on - what if...? How about...? But if your did that...? You were doing that properly...!' halfway through... :rolleyes: :D

Vajramusti
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Congratulations to Rick Spain.

Joy Chaudhuri

Museumtech
03-18-2009, 04:35 AM
Andrew, Please pass on my congratulations to Sihing Rick. He is not much younger than I am and I am happy just to go to training.

Even at a young age he was always very determined so it doesn't surprise me in the least that he passed. Tell him I will congratulate him in person next time I am up.

Peter Lillywhite

t_niehoff
03-18-2009, 06:31 AM

A brief report:

These belts are both hard-earned accomplishments of which he should justifiably be proud.

FWIW, I never considered Spain a theoretical nonfighter, though I do consider him to be a proven, excellent kickboxer.

Mr Punch
03-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Dang, the kyokushin blackbelt AND T's seal of approval in one week! Next stop, canonization!?

chusauli
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Rick Spain is a true master and gentleman.

Congratulations!

anerlich
03-18-2009, 01:54 PM
TIA everyone in advance for Sifu.

Terence, thank you ... thouigh his WCK is also top notch.

I will alert him to this thread when it starts to drop down the page ... though I'll have to provide some background in advance on the Glorified Kickboxing and TNF references. :D

sanjuro_ronin
03-19-2009, 05:54 AM

A brief report:

Ah, sweet memories...
Wait till he goes for his nidan ;)