PDA

View Full Version : internal/external

Joe2334
02-01-2001, 11:57 PM
If i got into a street fight which would be a better art to defend my self an internal or external art.

I'm mainly choosing between praying pantis and Hsing I

Brad
02-02-2001, 12:10 AM
In my limited experience(longfist & taiji) external styles are easier to use sooner than internal styles but are harder on your body, long term. After so many years it kind of evens out fighting wise.

on-jer
02-02-2001, 01:02 AM
I agree with Brad. Very short term basic combat skill (ala Krav Magma) can help someone at least survive a street situation.

Longer term, the more internal styles allow a slower weaker person to overcome a faster stronger one.

The Beauty of 8 Step (as taught by Master Wei), is that there are basic strikes and blocks one could use immediately - and as one progresses, there are increasingly more sophisticted movements.

My teacher, Master Lin, has said, after 3 yrs, 8 Step can beat any external style and a Hsing-I student studying the same period. After six years, the 8 Step and Hsing-I student are equal. After 9 years, the Hsing-I student will win. (If all are studying dilligently)

But there are many other reasons to study either systems - both promote health and well being.

tanglangman
02-05-2001, 03:51 PM
So is it wise do start trainging internal and external at the same time or become proficient in one and then begin to learn the other??

"feel free to criticize, I may learn something new"

cha kuen
02-09-2001, 02:04 AM
Joe,

Where are you from? Most of the times it depends on which sifu can train you better. Hsing yi and mantis are both very good systems. Hsing yi is a very linear fighting art, similar to wing chun. Hsing yi does not use hooks. Mantis on the other hand does.

As far as internal vs external that depends on your sifu. Both internal and external styles can be very good. External styles are not bad for you in the long run.

It doesn't take much to use basic kung fu in a fight. You can apply the most basic techniques in the forms in a fight. You'd have to take out each technique individually and drill them. Just make sure it's practicial. Keep your elbows in.