PDA

View Full Version : Cynthia Rothrock kung fu form at the shaolin buy your belt temple

ktkungfu
03-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Cynthia Rothrock kung fu form at the shaolin buy your belt temple.
What kung fu style is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_fUALRgXRc

mawali
03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I learnt a similar form and it looks like a nanquan basic form.
My version was played slower and with more purposeful breathing, similat to sanchin.

GeneChing
03-18-2009, 05:28 PM
...done on meth. ;)

For Cynthia at Shaolin, check out our 1996 February/March cover (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=54).

It's true, you can buy a belt (http://www.martialartsmart.net/Ranking_Belts.html) at Shaolin, but it doesn't mean anything. Shaolin doesn't use a belt ranking system.

Blacktiger
03-18-2009, 10:56 PM
oh my - she needs a valium :confused:

Lokhopkuen
03-19-2009, 03:35 AM
She's cool! Kicked me off of the hood of a car in a movie once. Nice lady:D

David Jamieson
03-19-2009, 04:55 AM
apparently she's doing that set with a few busted ribs.

in which case, it's ok! lol :)

GeneChing
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
If I had to demonstrate with busted ribs, I'd blast through the form as fast as possible to get off the freaking stage as fast as possible.

xcakid
03-19-2009, 07:58 PM
My Sigung explain the difference of of a fast form and doing your forms fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUrK85S2eY4

Wood Dragon
05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Show the 'Rock some respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wfFlQPGgkQ

Could Royce do that? I think not.

OCCOBRA
05-12-2009, 03:52 AM
Looks like WuShu lots of show no go...How many times do you need to repeat the same technique. Boring form.

David Jamieson
05-12-2009, 05:14 AM

uh...most of that ain't her unfortunately. :)

curenado
12-15-2010, 07:38 PM
It did seem to me that there were a lot of purposeless moves. I saw a "Karate vs Kung Fu" viddy on youtube and the kung fu guy was ok, but he did a lot of "hands waving in air" technique. When you saw the closeup, it did not look like the hands would have had any purpose if applied - just moving around fast.
I can see imitating close up moves of course, but it should be a actual move and not just generating wind unless that is your weapon.
But I don't know this girl and I understand some people like her.

TenTigers
12-16-2010, 09:02 AM
OMG! It's FHSYK!!!! :eek:
That's hysterical!
(I think I just puked a bit in my mouth...)

curenado
12-16-2010, 09:05 AM
What is FHSYK? (Sorry, new to the board and such...)

MasterKiller
12-16-2010, 09:09 AM
WTF is up with the dudes standing in the salute pose?

TenTigers
12-16-2010, 09:19 AM
What is FHSYK? (Sorry, new to the board and such...)
Fu Hok Seurng Ying Kuen-the Tiger and Crane form of Hung-Ga.

curenado
12-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you.

I could not recognize enough consistencies of style and I actually thought this may be some type of "tae bo" or "bounce dancing" thing.

I did see definite identifiable moves, but the way in which this lady constructed her performance and the majority of her moves made "putting a finger on it" difficult for me.

crashhelmet
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM
apparently she's doing that set with a few busted ribs.

in which case, it's ok! lol :)

That is true. If I remember right, she got into a car accident a few days before we left for China, which would've been about a week before this demo was shot. You can see the pain in her movements.

taai gihk yahn
12-16-2010, 03:44 PM

she is a classic example of someone who was not really all that great, but being pretty much the only person around at the time doing CMA (I believe she used to do a wushu Long Fist routine), there was really no one to compare her to, so she became, by default, the standard bearer at the time; seeing her do the Fu Hok, it's glaringly obvious how she has really no concept of root, power generation, full-body unity of movement, or clue about the "essence" of Hung fist; I mean, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't particularly impressive given her background;

it's a little odd though that someone who has had a reasonably successful MA and film career has, for whatever reason, chosen to hitch her wagon to the USSD star...

Almost A Ghost
12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
it's a little odd though that someone who has had a reasonably successful MA and film career has, for whatever reason, chosen to hitch her wagon to the USSD star...

Her studio is with ZUSDS now... LOL

Shaolin
12-16-2010, 04:47 PM
WTF is up with the dudes standing in the salute pose?

Those are the hard core (brain washed) warriors of U.S.S.D. Betta recognize yo!

Shaolin
12-16-2010, 04:51 PM

Could Rothrock fight 4 NHB fights in one night? I think not. Show respect.

taai gihk yahn
12-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Those are the hard core (brain washed) warriors of U.S.S.D. Betta recognize yo!

it's a bit creepy, quite frankly (I bet that the "monks" were like, "WTF is up wid whitey, yo?")

also, I didn't realize she was dancing w fx'd ribs - TBH, she doesn't LOOK like she is moving w any rib pain, although that could explain the lack of trunk rotation; at the same time, if you had a rib fx a week prior and were taped appropriately, you shud b able to move fairly wel w/out acute pain; but I'll grudgingly give her the benefit of the doubt...

crashhelmet
12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
it's a bit creepy, quite frankly (I bet that the "monks" were like, "WTF is up wid whitey, yo?")

also, I didn't realize she was dancing w fx'd ribs - TBH, she doesn't LOOK like she is moving w any rib pain, although that could explain the lack of trunk rotation; at the same time, if you had a rib fx a week prior and were taped appropriately, you shud b able to move fairly wel w/out acute pain; but I'll grudgingly give her the benefit of the doubt...

*cough*opioids*cough*

goju
12-22-2010, 08:20 AM
lookks likeshe has good form to me:D
http://www.scifi-universe.com/upload/personnalites/cynthia_rothrock_01.jpg

taai gihk yahn
12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
*cough*opioids*cough*

sorry, couldn't hear ya over the noise of the morphine drip...

lkfmdc
12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Cynthia is now associated with USSD? Wow, weird

Most people who did TCMA in NYC in the 80's knew her a bit, I also did some wushu and so I know her a little bit. She's friendly AND ambitious but she was never the martial artist her image would lead you to believe.

That was a terrible version of Fu Hok, hideous

David Jamieson
12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
B movie actress.

All the kungfu kids like her though. :)

crashhelmet
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Cynthia is now associated with USSD? Wow, weird

Most people who did TCMA in NYC in the 80's knew her a bit, I also did some wushu and so I know her a little bit. She's friendly AND ambitious but she was never the martial artist her image would lead you to believe.

That was a terrible version of Fu Hok, hideous

She WAS associated with USSD. Ran the school in Brentwood, I believe but could be wrong. From what I hear, she's part of the group that split off to form Z.

Almost A Ghost
12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
She WAS associated with USSD. Ran the school in Brentwood, I believe but could be wrong. From what I hear, she's part of the group that split off to form Z.

Her studio is in Studio City.

crashhelmet
12-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Her studio is in Studio City.

I stand corrected.

Shaolin Rasta
12-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Wow, Cynthia Rothrock has really gone downhill! If that was supposed to be some sort of nanquan, where are the stances? I don't want to sound too critical, but, c'mon. Ah, well.

TenTigers
12-26-2010, 10:39 AM
worse than "some sort of nan chuan," it was a horribly ba$tardized version of Hung-Ga's Tiger Crane form.
What really gets my goat is when they take a form, have no clue whatsoever as to the application of the moves, or how to do them properly, and replace them with horrendously disturbing interpetations-which have no application, but to them, somehow, they look like Kung-Fu. It WAS Kung-Fu before! What makes you think you are fixing it?
I just don't get the thinking...mind boggling.

TenTigers
12-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I would be interested in who taught her that form.

taai gihk yahn
12-28-2010, 05:06 AM
I would be interested in who taught her that form.

well, she was probably at a lot of the same tournaments that you were at over the years, and you did say that USSD is known for videoing other people's stuff, and seeing as you ARE an 11th Dan Great-Grand-Master of the Ten Tiger's System....

TenTigers
12-28-2010, 10:23 AM
well, she was probably at a lot of the same tournaments that you were at over the years, and you did say that USSD is known for videoing other people's stuff, and seeing as you ARE an 11th Dan Great-Grand-Master of the Ten Tiger's System....
That is certainly NOT our Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen.
Not even if you filmed it from a circus mirror....
I am sure she is doing it just as she was taught, but it was obviously by someone who had no experience in TCMA.
Looking at the "interpetation" of the Tiger section, it is plain to see that they had no idea of the moves, let alone understanding of martial application in any art. Even if a reasonably knowledgable Karate-ka were to see the original movements, he would be able to see the application. This just shows a complete lack of understanding of technique.

chusauli
12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
That's the Rothrock Fu Hoc set...with pieces of stuff she learned here and there. Its just entertainment.

mickey
12-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Greetings,

I had the opportunity to see Cynthia Rothrock compete in the early 80's. She performed Eagle Claw forms. My impression was that she was just a "forms competitor". I never got the impression she went past the superficial. The question is whether she ever pursued it in that way (as a traditionalist). I do not think so and it shows.

mickey

Eric Hunstad
12-28-2010, 02:21 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen it (I never learned it) but I think it is "Outer Tiger" from Pai Lum.

I met her once and she was a genuinely nice person and absolutely beautiful.

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Eric Hunstad
12-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Cynthia did study Pai Lum and depending on one's perspective, Pai Lum "was influenced by", "borrowed from" or "blatently stole" info from many other styles. This one looks like Outer Tiger, which was obviously based on Fu Hok.

I met her in 1998 I think.

Eric Hunstad
12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Actually, it apparently was 1997. The question is "Can Royce rock the cowboy boots"?

lkfmdc
12-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I know subtle never gets understood on the internet, but go back and re=read what I wrote, see if you get it

shaolin_allan
12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
that video hurt my brain

ShaolinDan
12-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I know subtle never gets understood on the internet, but go back and re=read what I wrote, see if you get it

Wow...LMFAO. I'm pretty sure she learned (at least some) of her eagle claw from my Sigong's lineage. :rolleyes:

mickey
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Greetings,

I didn't read what lkfmdc put up. He got it right.

mickey

PalmStriker
12-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Actually, it apparently was 1997. The question is "Can Royce rock the cowboy boots"?

Definitely looks like she works out! :D The boots can stay!

Buddha_Fist
01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
I second that the boots can stay... She's hot!

Songshan
01-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Actually the only "buy your belt" schools I seen were here mainly in the states. They have "Karate" sign up but are teaching everything but karate....oh and the kung fu ones were probably worse.