PDA

View Full Version : Beating up the good ol' heavy bag

Reverend Tap
03-18-2009, 07:39 PM
So I've heard conflicting ideas on this.

I'm going to start putting in more regular long-session heavy bag time, and I'm wondering what people recommend in terms of what to have on the hands for it. I've been fine barehanded so far, but a few people have told me not to get into regular, long bag sessions without hand wraps or bag gloves. And, as always, what some folks present as indisputable truth, others brush off as absurd, so I've had people telling me I can just jow up and go to town as long as I want.

Ben Gash
03-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I always try to make sure my wrists are supported before doing bagwork these days. I've learned from experience that with the bag moving you will misstime a hook at some point and sprain your wrist.

bawang
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
hey man as long as you put on medicine you will be fine i been doing bare hands for some months now
my advice is stop before your skin starts cracking after that u prolly get injured, one time i got bruised so bad i couldnt punch for 2 weeks
main problem isnt bruises, its more cuts from sewing lines on the bag

also if its a public bag always wash it
i always wash bag at gym before i punch because i see some people kicking it with their stinky feet

David Jamieson
03-19-2009, 04:50 AM
standard wraps and bag gloves are recommended.

Oso
03-19-2009, 05:01 AM
yea, got to do something...they make all of the newer hand wrap things that are like fingerless gloves so you don't have to spend the extra time wrapping

sanjuro_ronin
03-19-2009, 05:31 AM
So I've heard conflicting ideas on this.

I'm going to start putting in more regular long-session heavy bag time, and I'm wondering what people recommend in terms of what to have on the hands for it. I've been fine barehanded so far, but a few people have told me not to get into regular, long bag sessions without hand wraps or bag gloves. And, as always, what some folks present as indisputable truth, others brush off as absurd, so I've had people telling me I can just jow up and go to town as long as I want.

What kind of bag do you have?

GreenCloudCLF
03-19-2009, 06:04 AM
I use MMA-Stlye gloves. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good

Reverend Tap
03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
What kind of bag do you have?

The kwoon has several different ones (I don't have one of my own, nowhere to put one). At least one canvas one, a few vinyl (or something like it) ones, and at least one that's some kind of faux-leather material. Varying weights between them all.

sanjuro_ronin
03-19-2009, 11:44 AM
The kwoon has several different ones (I don't have one of my own, nowhere to put one). At least one canvas one, a few vinyl (or something like it) ones, and at least one that's some kind of faux-leather material. Varying weights between them all.

Gloves on the canvas one, for sure.

AdrianK
03-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd say its just good practice to put on wraps to give your wrist and hand a little bit of protection.

I mean honestly, it can't hurt, right?

Especially if your hands are sensitive. When I was doing iron palm training when I was younger, I started hitting the heavybag barehanded... not a good idea and my hands got torn up..

So I did what any teenager would do... I kept doing iron palm with open wounds and kept soaking my hands in the jow (owww...)...

I still have scars on my hands from that :)

Egg fu young
03-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Hand wraps and good gloves. Very important. Worth the time and investment.

Lucas
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
i have a vinyl one at home. personally it depends.

when im on my bag im not always using wraps or gloves. depends on how long im going to be on it for one thing. it also depends on if the entire time im on it ill only be working on punches. i never wrap my feet ;)

i do own wraps and some bag gloves, and often will wear the gloves.

i used to wear wraps every time i would work my bag but have kind of stopped.

i use these (http://buyfitnessonline.com/osc/images/EVERLAST_Everhide_Bag_Gloves_EL4310.jpg)

David Jamieson
03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I'd say its just good practice to put on wraps to give your wrist and hand a little bit of protection.

I mean honestly, it can't hurt, right?

Especially if your hands are sensitive. When I was doing iron palm training when I was younger, I started hitting the heavybag barehanded... not a good idea and my hands got torn up..

So I did what any teenager would do... I kept doing iron palm with open wounds and kept soaking my hands in the jow (owww...)...

I still have scars on my hands from that :)

No one really taught you the iron palm did they....

bawang
03-19-2009, 06:51 PM
i dont really think heavy bag is good for conditioning the hands
i only punch it to get the feeling of punching something heavy and pretend its real peoples

Dim Wit Mak
03-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I love my heavy bag. I use MMA gloves, and take out all my frustrations on it with a vengeance.

I use it to practice many scenarios that I have envisioned in self defense situations, and mix up my techniques.

Boxing and Five Animal Kung Fu, with an emphasis on Tiger and Leopard, were my first loves, so I favor those techniques, but work hard not to neglect the other material in my arsenal.

SIFU RON
03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I began with an old canvas bag filled with river sand, along with Dit Da Jow, and barrells filled sand,beans, and pebbles. This is what my Sifu used and taught us to use.I have always used them. I go to an army surplus store, pick up some old canvus and have it cut ,stiched, and fill it with river sand, 80 pounds, it doesn't look fancy, but it will develope your fist beyond your wildest dream.

You won't hurt your fist, hand, or fingers, or ruin them if you train properly, finger tips, palms, back fist, the whole sha-bang.

when till they feel the pain from a block from a student trained on the " old Bag" or get hit by one of em that works the on" old bag" , they change.

sanjuro_ronin
03-20-2009, 05:32 AM
The typical HB are not for hand conditoning/forging, they are too soft.
They are used for anerobic conditining and developing that sense of hitting something that moves.
If you wanna forge those fists and hands, and are not into Iron Hand training, what you want is a bag like Sifu Ron mentioned, nice and compact, hard with minimal give, but you don't want to hit it like you would hit a typical HB, you wanna hit it like you would a "makiwara" or a wall bag.
You can get a steel shot hanging bag, but that is more in the lines of IP training and is done at the more advanced levels of IP.
Old time boxers use to use heavy sand bags that were dense like concrete !
They would wrap their hands only and focus on tight, short, penetrative strikes, singles and series of singles rather than combos.

bawang
03-20-2009, 06:44 AM
the everlast bags have soft fabric inside them not sand

David Jamieson
03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
sand is not actually a good medium for striking.
It compacts and puts all the force back into you.

So, I wouldn't recommend it as a heavy bag filler.

Yes, rags and cloths are usually what is used inside of a heavy bag.

But whatever floats someones boat I guess. ???

Any medium you strike in a training apparatus has to absorb forces. Sand doesn't do this.

If you want to strike hard surfaces, then tapping exercises are recomended as opposed to blasting away at a hard surface which will invariably damage you before you get any benefit out of it.

But again, whatever floats your boat. I personally do not equate personal injury with progress of development.

that which does not kill you can sometimes leave you crippled for life. If crippled for life is stronger to you, then again I would say, whatever floats your boat.

(otherwise, ur doing it wrong. ) :)

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 06:15 AM

Any medium you strike in a training apparatus has to absorb forces. Sand doesn't do this.

If you want to strike hard surfaces, then tapping exercises are recomended as opposed to blasting away at a hard surface which will invariably damage you before you get any benefit out of it.

But again, whatever floats your boat. I personally do not equate personal injury with progress of development.

that which does not kill you can sometimes leave you crippled for life. If crippled for life is stronger to you, then again I would say, whatever floats your boat.

(otherwise, ur doing it wrong. ) :)

Correct, that is why for CERTAIN things, sand is ideal.

bawang
03-23-2009, 06:55 AM

i was saying heavy bags are soft and not for conditioing, howevers i find it very good for pratce footwork and punch power, and body movement.

alsos ,i dont know why u say crippled from sand bag, i punch sand bag for 2 years, 4 month ago i start heavy bag i find heavy bag can actually more dangerous.
sandbag is very safe because you punch one or three at a time, you know after 100 200 punches you get injure. heavy bag very heavy, and at first 20 min non stop it doesnt hurt you so you dont know when you will get injure. i think combination of different bag is best

for conditioing bags you do very controlled. sanjuro, conditon bags make you have hard hand, but u need to practice sending that hand, rite

SIFU RON
03-24-2009, 02:35 AM
PROPER TRAINING IS THE KEY ---

when using a canvas bag filed with 80 pounds of sand, One starts softly, with the proper distance, working all the parts of the hands including fingers, knife hand, back knuckle, palms, etc. As time goes on the bag is worked harder, the give ( what little their is needed) is the bag it'self. I have been using this method 50 years, No one has been injured." If this isn't your bag" , use a different type, most all of my students prefer it especially after they experience the results of being blocked or having to block a "sand-bag fist"

This is simply an old method and I hope it doesn't die out. ;)

golden arhat
03-24-2009, 03:02 AM
mma gloves probably the best tho they can cut you after a while too

do a little bare hand then switch to gloves cos its hard to keep practise up when it hurts to punch due to cut knuckles

Lucas
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
PROPER TRAINING IS THE KEY ---

when using a canvas bag filed with 80 pounds of sand, One starts softly, with the proper distance, working all the parts of the hands including fingers, knife hand, back knuckle, palms, etc. As time goes on the bag is worked harder, the give ( what little their is needed) is the bag it'self. I have been using this method 50 years, No one has been injured." If this isn't your bag" , use a different type, most all of my students prefer it especially after they experience the results of being blocked or having to block a "sand-bag fist"

This is simply an old method and I hope it doesn't die out. ;)

I do this same thing, except I dont have the sand bag. For the hand conditioning I have been using a tree, always the same tree. Its my friend and I've prepared it. Its a cedar, the outer later of bark has been removed, leaving the inner layer which is roughly a centemeter of semi soft material. I also work my 4 elbows on this tree, as well as several kicks. I dont know if anyone else does this, though Im sure some do. I treat my hands before and after I practice this.

I started this on dense sand bags when they were available to me. Ive been doing this 2 years and havnt had any problems as of yet. I plan to keep using my tree for this. I do own a heavy bag that I have at home where I am able to go with much more force.

The tree has no real give other than the thin layer of soft inner bark. Works for me though.

Lucas
03-26-2009, 03:05 PM
i think combination of different bag is best

i agree. and its more fun too

David Jamieson
03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
long heavy bag for kicks, middle size or regular bag for punches, round bag and pads for uppercuts... and so on.

yeah, you don't want to work on the same thing all the time. you'll get stuck in a rut.