taichi108
02-03-2001, 04:44 AM
TEXAS SEVEN STAR WILL BE PRESENT.

cha kuen
02-03-2001, 12:03 PM
Hi are you Sifu Cottrell's student?

woliveri
02-03-2001, 06:29 PM
I'll definitely be there this year. Missed it last year. Can you tell me how the room is setup? That is, are there spectator stands, is this in a gymnasium, what events are scheduled, will there be a Masters exhibition?

thanks

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
By Baird T. Spalding

cha kuen
02-03-2001, 10:06 PM
Sorry, I don't know how the room is setup. I have never attended the tournament myself. I post it so that others would know about it too.

Locking Mantis
02-04-2001, 11:22 AM
The 5th Annual Jade Mountain Championship will be held in the Santa Anita YMCA gymnasium, Monrovia CA., 9AM - 5PM. There are spectator stands and there will be a masters demonstration (performing Hung Gar, Northern Shaolin, Monkey, Northern Eagle Claw an d Praying Mantis - per flyer copy).

Divisions (per flyer copy):
Traditional Northern and Southern
Contemporary Wu Shu
International Styles
Weapons
Two-Men Fighting Sets
Continuous Sparring

Last year, we had the honor of Sifu Steve Cottrell and his students attending the 4th Jade Mountain Tournament (welcome back, "taichi108 "!)

Official announcement of the tournament and applications will be mailed out to all schools shortly.

Please feel free to e-mail us your inquiries regarding the tournament at: jademantis@kungfuusa.com

You can also visit our new website: www.kungfuusa.com (http://www.kungfuusa.com) (please bear with us, we're still working out the bugs! :)

cha kuen
02-05-2001, 10:08 AM
Locking Mantis,

I'm thinking of fighting in this one. Are there throws allowed in the sparring matches??

Sorry I was going to email but I'm downloading MP3's off of Napster and I was too lazy to go to my email account to send you an email.

BeiTangLang
02-05-2001, 05:50 PM
This is a fun tournament. It is a shame that we had the time constraints that we did. Sifu Edwards & his group are great people, great students, great hosts.
Wish I could attend again,...time & money is all I need :)
Best wishes to you all,....
R Baker
--
(Big guy,...long hair,...LOL!)

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."

Locking Mantis
02-06-2001, 11:00 AM
Cha Kuen,

Throws? Do you mean takedowns? No, full takedowns are not permitted due to the fact sparring is conducted on a hard gymnasium floor; however; certain takedowns are permitted: for example, front leg sweeps, conducted in a controlled manner, a re permitted. Controlled takedowns are also permitted: the individual conducting the takedown will have to control his/her throw - meaning not SLAM the opponent onto the wooden floor! The technique has to be demonstrated in a clean and smooth manner, di splaying to the judges (and to the opponent), "Ha! Got you with a clean sweep - and I didn't slam you because I have control and we are not fighting in deathmatch 2000!" After all, this is a kung fu tournament - we are here to share and praprogate our k nowledge of the Chinese martial arts to each other - not say whose style is better than who's. As for the sweeps, I believe it is permitted only in the advanced divisions - I'll have to check on that.

BeiTangLang,

Sorry to hear that you can't make it t his year... hope to see you next year. (Sifu Cattrell is attending this year for the masters demo, right?) :) If he is, COOL! We look forward to him and the other masters who will be performing in this year's masters demo!

Good luck to all!

HKMantis
02-06-2001, 06:24 PM
Greetings Locking Mantis,

I am Steve D. (the shorter of the big guys that visited with Sifu Cottrell) I had so much fun last year that I’m coming back for more. Sifu Edwards and his students are great folks, I recomend this tournament to anyone looking to have a good time. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone and getting in some sticking hands with as many of you as possible. It goes without saying, that a trip to see ya’ll wouldn’t be complete until we made it to Roscoe’s.(hint, hint) As I understand it Sifu Cottrell is participating in the masters demo. Do you happen to know who else will be there? Oh by the way I like the new look of your web site.

Once again, I can hardly wait to workout with you guys.

Steve D.

P.S. Cha Kuen,
Tai Chi 108 is a student of Sifu Cottrell’s he hasn’t been able to answer you because of his work and school load. He has however, asked who you train with?

beiquan
02-07-2001, 02:20 AM
i competed in sparring last year in intermediate division and was not allowed to sweep(even front leg) or do takedowns, although i did see a lot of that happening in the advanced division.

cha kuen
02-07-2001, 07:25 AM
I am training with sifu Tony Puyot right now. Before Puyot, I trained with sifu Paul Eng for a couple years. I'll probably go to the tournament. I hope to see you all there!

Locking Mantis
02-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Beiquan,

You are right, sweeps are only allowed in the advanced divisions. Here are the rules regarding sparring as expressed in the "Rules and Regulations" sheet which accompanies the registration form:

SPARRING COMPETITION:

Mandatory Sparring Equipm ent:
a) Head Gear
b) Gloves (foam type) or 10oz. boxing gloves (min. 14oz for heavy weights)
c) Foot Gear (foam type)
d) Shin Guards
e) Groin Cup
f) Mouth Guard
g) Chest Protector (optional)

Duration:
a) Begginers & Intermediate - 1 min 15 sec (one roun d)
b) Advanced - 2 minutes (one round)

Legal Contact Target Areas:
a) Front of body (below neck and above waist)

For Advanced ADULT DIVISIONS ONLY:
b) Sweeps for the front leg only
c) LIGHT CONTACT to head (NO FACE) will be allowed.

Legal Mon-Contact Ta rget Areas:
a) Entire head and face (for beginners and intermediate)
b) Face (for advanced)

Illegal Techniques:
a) Knee Strikes
b) Leg kicks
c) Floor/Ground fight
d) Joint Locking/Breaking
e) Head Butts
f) Open hand to face contact
g) Finger strikes
h) E lbow Strikes
i) Groin kicks
j) Take down or throwing

1st Contact = Warning
2nd Contact = Disqualification
Excessive or Deliberate Fouls = Disqualification

Sparring matches are NOT full contact matches.

Matches will NOT break for scoring, only break aft er the following:
a) Warning call by referee
b) Legal effective sweeping technique
c) Discretion of referee
d) Illegal strike or technique

Winning a match:
Points will not be given out during the match. Judges will score on score sheets and vote fo r the winner at the end of the match. Competitor with the majority of judges votes wins.

Weight Divisions:

Women - Light 125 lbs. & under
Women - Middle 126 - 139 lbs.
Women - Heavy 140 lbs. & above
Men - Light 144 lbs. & under
Men - Middle 145 lb s. - 169 lbs.
Men - Heavy 170 lbs. & above

I hope this clears up some of the inquires regarding sparring in the tournament. If there are any further inquires, please don't hesitate to e-mail us at: jademantis@kungfuusa.com

HK Mantis (Steve D.),

I am glad you, your classmates and Sifu Cottrell can make it this year. I can hear the chants from my school now, "Roscoes! Roscoes! Roscoes!" :D We can't wait until you guys get here to catch up on good times! Perhaps oneday we'll pay you guys a vi sit in your neck of the woods for some good ol' Texas BBQ! :)

As for who's performing in the masters demo, I believe a student of Paulie Zink will be performing Monkey style. Pat Dibuttista, Northern Eagle Claw. Of course, your sifr, Steve Cottrell. An individual performing southern mantis - yes, southern mantis! This will be interesting because I know most of us here at the school have not seen southern mantis. I believe Sifu Kisu (Northern Shaolin, Harmonious Fist) and his school will attend, th ough I have not confirmed with my sifu yet if he is going to perform in the masters demo. Sifu Tony Puyot of Seven Star Praying Mantis performed last year, though I haven't heard anything about whether he will be performing this year either. That is all I know for now...

Good luck to all!›

HKMantis
02-08-2001, 06:11 PM
Locking Mantis(Will),

We of course will be there for the food and as always, any chance of hanging out with you guys is time well spent. The invitation still stands that any time that you guys want to come out, your more than welcome. I know our Wing Chun brethren would love to touch hands with ya'll. We'll definitely get you hooked up on the BBQ.

The masters demo sounds great, I can't wait to see them perform. Southern Mantis is amazing to see performed. I know some of the practitioners around here and they are devastating, nice guys but just devastating.

Take care,

Steve D.

Locking Mantis
02-09-2001, 12:08 AM
HK Mantis,

Yikes! I made a mistake - I meant to say Southern Eagle Claw, not Southern Mantis! Sorry about that! It was late last night and I kept typing and typing and typing... ZZZZZ S

[This message was edited by Locking Mantis on 02-09-01 at 02:14 PM.]

HKMantis
02-11-2001, 04:20 PM
Locking Mantis,

OK, I know nothing of Southern Eagle Claw. This sounds really interesting. Just so I know what to look for, what are the differences between Northern and Southern Eagle Claw? Will there be any students there to talk to and do a comparision of technique with, or that might want to do some sticking hands?

I look forward hearing your answers,

Steve D.

Locking Mantis
02-13-2001, 11:17 AM
HK Mantis,

Sorry for the late reply. I just started a new job which does not afford me the opportunity to get on the net. P :( They're watching me like a hawk!

Anyway, regarding Southern Eagle Claw and Southern Praying Mantis, I will clarify. South ern Eagle Claw will NOT be performing in this year's master's demo (I made a boo - boo). Southern Praying Mantis will be one of the styles demonstrated at the master's demo. I remember reading somewhere about the origins of Southern Praying Mantis. Su p posedly, long ago, a shoalin monk witnessed a fight between a mantis and a bird? If I'm wrong guys, please enlighten me with the real story. Any Southern Praying Mantis guys out there?

Southern Eagle Claw does exist. Years ago, my sifu met up with a SEC sifu during a tournament. Recently, this same guy, sent a tape of himself demonstrating SEC techniques from Hawaii (I believe his school is located there). It was interesting, yet a little boring in my opinion. I didn't get to see enough of the de mo type to distinguish the differences of SEC and NEC. I guess the existence of SEC is not too f ar fetched. Ngok Fei, the founder of Eagle Claw, trained his army with eagle claw techniques, so I could assume some of his soldiers branched off and create d their own lineage... just like today's many different variations of the style of Praying Mantis. –ˇ

beiquan
02-14-2001, 12:27 AM
i am guessing the person demonstrating southern praying mantis will be Sifu Manuel Rodriguez, who also demonstrated at last year's tournament. according to what he told me, southern mantis (chu gar) was originally the family style of the Ming imperial court. when the Qing overthrew the Ming, the Ming courtiers moved to southern china, and they changed the name of the style in order to hide its origin and prevent themselves from being recognized for who they were.

the harmonious fist school will be in attendance, and i believe my sifu will be demonstrating...we're all looking forward to this event!

Locking Mantis
02-14-2001, 08:38 AM
Your explanation of the origin of Southern Praying Mantis is right. I just remembered reading about that too.

I just confirmed with my sifu - Sifu Manuel Rodriguez will be performing in this year's master's demo, performing SPM.

HKMantis
02-14-2001, 04:21 PM
Locking Mantis,

I appreciate all your work in finding out who is going to be there. I do remember SPM being performed at the masters demo, now that you mentioned his name. He's very powerful and great to watch. We all enjoyed his performance very much. I need to make arrangements for the group so I have another question. Which hotel will everyone be staying at? You know us, we want to be where the action is. LOL!!

Steve