PDA

View Full Version : OT: FOX News Mocks Canadian Military

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Well then:

Fox News mocks Canadian military
Outrage after panel rips war effort
By KATHLEEN HARRIS and ALTHIA RAJ, NATIONAL BUREAU

American TV panelists mocked the Canadian military after Canadian Forces Chief of Land Staff Gen. Andrew Leslie told a Senate committee the military would need a one-year break from operations after the mission in Afghanistan winds down in 2011. (Sun Media/Dharm Makwana)

Are you offended by a show on Fox News mocking the Canadian military?

OTTAWA -- As Canadians mourn the loss of four more fallen soldiers in Afghanistan, a videotaped segment of an American TV talk show where panelists mock Canadian soldiers as slackers is making the rounds on the Internet.

The five-minute segment, which aired recently on Fox News late-night program Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld and later posted on YouTube.com, features American panelists suggesting Canadian soldiers need time off for "manicures and pedicures."

The item aired after Gen. Andrew Leslie, the Canadian Forces Chief of Land Staff, told a Senate committee the military would need a one-year break from operations after the mission in Afghanistan winds down in 2011.

"The Canadian military wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white capri pants," Gutfeld said with a sneer.

Another panelist Doug Benson said he was unaware Canadian troops were on the ground in Afghanistan.

"I didn't even know they were in the war. I thought that's where you go if you don't want to fight - you go chill in Canada," he said.

The segment has been posted online

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Now, as some of you know, I did my time, in Bosnia as a Peackeeper, some may even know HOW i did that time.
Irrelevant other than to state that I have been there and done that.
In the Stand Canadian Snipers have made a name for themselves, making even a record shot of 2,430 metres.
We have lost over 100 soldiers fighting that interesting little conflict.
Now, I may have some serious issues with the Canadiam Military COMPLEX, but NO ONE has ever had ANY issues with Canadian Soldiers.
I wonder where in Afghanistan the people on FOX news were serving?
:mad:

bawang
03-23-2009, 07:46 AM
it shouldnt be called Fox news it should be called Dog news
because whenever i see it on tv all i hear is wang wang wang, wang wang wang

Drake
03-23-2009, 07:47 AM
The Canadians support us in war. Fox needs to back the f' off.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 07:50 AM
The Canadians support us in war. Fox needs to back the f' off.

Truly, it isn't our war, we really shouldn't be there, yet, we support our southern brothers and neighbours, and this is the thanks we get?
Seriously.
Is there anyone with a brain at Fox news?

SimonM
03-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Frankly the Canadian forces is largely trained for peacekeeping operations. Despite that they have played a large role in some of the worst combat zones in Afghanistan.

Canadians have fought and died in Afghanistan.

And frankly a one year break from international operations is not just right for reasons of global peace but also right for all those soldiers who have taken time away from their families and put their lives at danger

fighting a war that is not ours!

I don't support the war in Afghanistan, we should not be there, but I do support the brave men and women of the Canadian armed forces and they have earned a year in their home country, a year with their a families, a year where they aren't being shot at, bombed by their titular allies and enemies alike.

If Fox News doesn't like that than the whole effing lot of them can enlist and go put their **** money where their mouths are.

Shaolinlueb
03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
1. fox news is a joke.

2. canada has a military?

David Jamieson
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
screw fox, it is an inflammatory group of idiots mouthing off in order to casue a stir and create an audience.

in actuality, the entire network is a tool of neo-con agenda making.

While they are entitled to their opinion, they are not entitled to my watching them.

bawang
03-23-2009, 09:07 AM
u know who else pises me off
that guy glenn beck
:mad::mad: VERY ANGRY FACE

SimonM
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
2. canada has a military?

We do. And our regular infantry routinely beats most of your elite groups at wargames when they get together.

Canada's military is not as well equipped as the American one, it is much smaller (we have 1/10th your population) and are mostly underpaid but they are very well trained.

Glen Beck should be in a mental hospital because he is insane.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
We do. And our regular infantry routinely beats most of your elite groups at wargames when they get together.

Canada's military is not as well equipped as the American one, it is much smaller (we have 1/10th your population) and are mostly underpaid but they are very well trained.

Glen Beck should be in a mental hospital because he is insane.

I've had the chance to go up against and train with some of our American friends and some of the commonwealth countries, we hold are own ;)
We are grossly underfunded and under appreciated in our own home, but highly respected where it counts, by fellow military personnel in different countries.

BoulderDawg
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
To start with you Canadians deserve what you get for getting involved in Bush's war.

Also, do you think the American military has respect for anybody else in the world? I hope the Canadians are not that stupid.

SimonM
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Again, I don't support the war in Afghanistan. However the Canadian Army has done a lot of good in a lot of places and I'm not going to attack them whole-cloth just because the Liberals and the Conservatives bowed to peer pressure and put our army somewhere it shouldn't be.

Instead I'll keep pointing out that we should not be in Afghanistan, that it is not Canada's war, that it is not something that benefits Canadians, that it is not a place where we are fulfilling our most appropriate role (as peace keepers), and that the Canadian Army would be better off going to places where peace keepers were needed or staying at home to provide disaster relief - something they are exceptionally adept at.

But I am pretty sure that the disrespect in this thread came from Fox News and not from the US armed forces.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 10:53 AM
To start with you Canadians deserve what you get for getting involved in Bush's war.

Also, do you think the American military has respect for anybody else in the world? I hope the Canadians are not that stupid.

Have you served in the Canadian or American military?

BoulderDawg
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM

I have better sense than that.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I have better sense than that.

These last few posts call that into question.

BoulderDawg
03-23-2009, 11:27 AM

One other thing: I've done some interviewing and hiring in the past. One question that I always ask is "Have you served in the military?'

If the answer is "No" or "Yes I did but I regret it" then you scored high in my book. If you answered "YES! I did all I could to kill as many ho-mo terrorists as I could" then is was "Thank you for your time. We'll be in touch!:D"

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 11:29 AM
One other thing: I've done some interviewing and hiring in the past. One question that I always ask is "Have you served in the military?'

If the answer is "No" or "Yes I did but I regret it" then you scored high in my book. If you answered "YES! I did all I could to kill as many ho-mo terrorists as I could" then is was "Thank you for your time. We'll be in touch!:D"

I think this post says enough about your personality for me to know that I don't care to discuss these things with you.
Have a nice one.

David Jamieson
03-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Afghanistan is a UN engagement. It's not Iraq. there was no unilateral declaration against Afghanistan, the NATO forces and UN sanctioned forces went in following 9/11.

Btw and fwiw, many countries lost their people in that particular attack, Canada being one of them.

With our group failure to contain the Taliban and our failure to capture bin laden, I think afghanistan should be wound down and we should start sending people back home at the earliest possible time.

Boulderdawg, you need to stick to subjects you can actually comment on. If you are willfully ignorant, it's not a good idea to go off about that. Canada does not support Bushes war and in fact we outright refused to join in the attack on Iraq. As a nation, we consider it as best questionable and at worst illegal.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Afghanistan is a UN engagement. It's not Iraq. there was no unilateral declaration against Afghanistan, the NATO forces and UN sanctioned forces went in following 9/11.

Btw and fwiw, many countries lost their people in that particular attack, Canada being one of them.

With our group failure to contain the Taliban and our failure to capture bin laden, I think afghanistan should be wound down and we should start sending people back home at the earliest possible time.

Boulderdawg, you need to stick to subjects you can actually comment on. If you are willfully ignorant, it's not a good idea to go off about that. Canada does not support Bushes war and in fact we outright refused to join in the attack on Iraq. As a nation, we consider it as best questionable and at worst illegal.

Quite correct.

SimonM
03-23-2009, 11:39 AM
David's assessment of Canadian opinion on the Iraq war is an accurate one.

With regards to Afghanistan Canadians run the gamit from those (like myself) who feel we shouldn't have gone there in the first place to those who believe we should stay as long as the americans do.

I think the majority of Canadians are likely of simmilar opinion to both David and Myself that regardless of whether or not we SHOULD have gone there (I say no, he says yes) it is now time to leave again.

And almost no educated Canadian blames the Canadian Armed Forces for Afghanistan. They did not make the decision, that one was made by our politicians. For those of us who do oppose the Canadian presence in Afghanistan it is towards the latter and not the former that our vitriol is directed.

BoulderDawg
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Doesn't matter. They weren't in Afghanistan before 9/11. Would they have been there had not Bush sent American troop to Afghanistan?

The fact that you are catching grief now from the Neos just goes to show, as Bush said, "You're either with us or against us". Because Canada refuses to fight in Iraq they are against the US no matter how many troops are in Afghanistan.

SimonM
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Or it shows that Fox News is staffed entirely by ignorant tools whose entire purpose is to appeal to the stupid and reactionary in a cash hungry grab for ratings in a competitive news market.

It is so entirely irrelevant that most of us here north of the border entirely disregard the entire network.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Or it shows that Fox News is staffed entirely by ignorant tools whose entire purpose is to appeal to the stupid and reactionary in a cash hungry grab for ratings in a competitive news market.

It is so entirely irrelevant that most of us here north of the border entirely disregard the entire network.

If this stupidity is an example of their "NEWS BROADCASTING", how can aanyone take them seriously?
One of the people on the panel didn't even know Canada was in Afghanistan !
How bad a journalist do you have to be to NOT KNOW the facts withing a story that you are commenting on ??

David Jamieson
03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Doesn't matter. They weren't in Afghanistan before 9/11. Would they have been there had not Bush sent American troop to Afghanistan?

The fact that you are catching grief now from the Neos just goes to show, as Bush said, "You're either with us or against us". Because Canada refuses to fight in Iraq they are against the US no matter how many troops are in Afghanistan.

The UN sanctioned the sending of troops to afghanistan vis a vis NATO and UN policy.

Afghanistan wasn't Bush sending troops in and everybody following, it was NATO sending in troops under UN sanctions in order to:

a) Capture Osama Bin Laden and members of al qaida

b) end the Taliban regime which was committing crimes against the afghan people

It is a totally separate issue from Iraq. You really need to educate yourself more thoroughly about this as you seem to be quoting from snippets of rhetoric you might have heard.

You are getting it all wrong and it's painful to watch. :)

spend less time getting angry with people who are calling you stupid for your remarks and spend more time learning about the subject before remarking.

opinions are fine and all, but uneducated lump statements are stupid no matter how you slice em.

SimonM
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't forget c:

To implement a stable regime willing to enter into good-faith negotiations with UNOCAL.

:p

(Ok so I'm doing a bit of sh!t disturbing but it's true that the crimes of the Taliban suddenly became an issue when the pipeline deal fell through. The Taliban had previously offered on more than one occasion to furnish OBL - who has since been lost and who is most likely either in a grave or in Pakistan today - so that is largely a non-issue.)

David Jamieson
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Don't forget c:

To implement a stable regime willing to enter into good-faith negotiations with UNOCAL.

:p

(Ok so I'm doing a bit of sh!t disturbing but it's true that the crimes of the Taliban suddenly became an issue when the pipeline deal fell through. The Taliban had previously offered on more than one occasion to furnish OBL - who has since been lost and who is most likely either in a grave or in Pakistan today - so that is largely a non-issue.)

The problems with the Taliban came to the attention of the world when they destroyed the ancient buddhas. After that, it was about the killings of afghan peoples in public venues, then the honor killings, the opium dealing and yes, the pipeline is part of it.

I ain't so naive to think that we wouldn't even be there if not for our own interests. It is convenient that the Taliban wrote the play book on how to be evil.

so, we stamp them out and get the oil. at least we pay them for it.

BoulderDawg
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
The UN sanctioned the sending of troops to afghanistan vis a vis NATO and UN policy.

Afghanistan wasn't Bush sending troops in and everybody following, it was NATO sending in troops under UN sanctions in order to:

a) Capture Osama Bin Laden and members of al qaida

b) end the Taliban regime which was committing crimes against the afghan people

So lets see if I have this right:

Canada is in Afghanistan to end the Taliban regima and capture BL?

Hmmmmm.....I know I'm stupid and all but I thought the Taliban were kicked out years ago. Also, one, maybe a little smarter than I, might think that after 6+ years if you haven't caught BL he's either dead or out of the country.

I guess I'll leave it to the brains here to explain to me why Canada is still there if those were their objectives.:D

SimonM
03-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Gas actually;

and Pakistan gets it.

But UNOCAL gets to sell the gas to Pakistan so that works out as a net gain for the USA in the region.

And to be frank nobody in government said boo about the destruction of the Buddhas other than the same bland admonishments that are so commonly used to decry what you have no intention of stopping.

SimonM
03-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I guess I'll leave it to the brains here to explain to me why Canada is still there if those were their objectives.:D

Because the conservative government that currently is elected in Canada tended to toady to Bush and although the Iraq war was too grossly unpopular to get involved in the conservatives were able to placate most Canadians with the 2011 withdrawal date based on the assertion that we WOULD be leaving if not right away.

Sort of like what Obama did over Iraq.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Because the conservative government that currently is elected in Canada tended to toady to Bush and although the Iraq war was too grossly unpopular to get involved in the conservatives were able to placate most Canadians with the 2011 withdrawal date based on the assertion that we WOULD be leaving if not right away.

Sort of like what Obama did over Iraq.

Oversimplification, but correct.

SimonM
03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm not in a mood for page-long philosophical argument today so, yes, I provided a simplistic outline of the issue.

I figured it'd be sufficient to answer Bolderdawg's question.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not in a mood for page-long philosophical argument today so, yes, I provided a simplistic outline of the issue.

I figured it'd be sufficient to answer Bolderdawg's question.

Well, aren't we being the little ***** !
LOL !

doug maverick
03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
the objective for Afghanistan was not achieved for america, mainly because bush was a horrible leader. he overextended the millitary instead of concentrating all our efforts on Afghanistan and eradicating the Taliban and al queda, and capturing bin laden. they found saddam in a ****ing whole in west bubble **** iraq and you telling me they cant find bin laden, come the **** on. my father was a marine colonel, he was at the pentagon when the plain crashed into it, even thou people say that there is a strong possibility that that didnt happen, and i wouldnt put it pass my dad to lie to me. but anyway one thing he always taught me and it has suited me is that you always kill an ant with a sledge hammer, that way you know its not coming back.and that should have been the case with al queda and the taliban, instead we are fighting a protracted war on two fronts, with no end in sight. i think obama is being a little to unrealistic about his military withdrawal. more time is needed. a powerful blow has to hit the terrorist we have to cripple them, we cant destroy them completely but we have to hit them in a way where they will be seriously hampered. freezing bank accounts aint gonna do it. these guys deal in cash/gold and diamonds. i spent a year in africa, wondering around the continent with my grand father, and what i saw is that these guys smuggle gold and diamonds at next to nothing prices(i bought a solid gold watch for 300 american and sold it back in the states for close to ten grand) and then sell them at cheaper then jewelry store value and still make a huge profit all in cash, and lets not forget herion and afghan kush. all cash; i remember the first reports of the iraq war was the large cache of cash they found millions of dollars all in cash. anyway i rambled on but this is a serious thorn in the worlds side.

Lucas
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, aren't we being the little ***** !
LOL !

best motivational poster ever.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
best motivational poster ever.

:D
Grazie !

SimonM
03-23-2009, 08:29 PM
LOL, glad I didn't click that one at work.

Sorry I had an "annoyed by the USA" day.

It happens sometimes. Fortunately somebody asked me to name some people I thought did a better job at setting up their respective countries than the USA and I was able to vent a bit with a list of names that contained only one ludicrous entry.

Find the post and see if you can figure out which one. ;)

Kansuke
03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Are you offended by a show on Fox News mocking the Canadian military?

The five-minute segment, which aired recently on Fox News late-night program Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld

You know that's a comedy show, right? Not meant, by any stretch, to be taken seriously.

David43515
03-23-2009, 10:38 PM

Andi f the answer was "Yes. It was where I learned self-discipline, goal setting, team work, and tolrance for people with diverse backgrounds and opions" what goes in your little notebook?

I`ve done alot of hiring and interviewing myself. I`ve met few kids just out of high school or just out of college for that matter who were mature enough to make many good choices about what path they wanted to take in life. In contrast, I`ve met few former soldiers who didn`t have a good head on thier shoulders.

Mr Punch
03-23-2009, 10:56 PM
You know that's a comedy show, right? Not meant, by any stretch, to be taken seriously.I thought all of Fox was... Or do you mean literally?!

Personally I think if you have the resources and the extra men to cover your military objectives wherever, allowing them to rest up for a year after being in the field of operations is the ideal, and the far more laughable option is stop-loss, ****ty treatment of veterans, poor pensions and welching on insurance and the general complete sweeping under the carpet of psychological problems and other medical issues that seems to accompany the US army every time they go out. Same as anything else: you have to look after your resources, and your army personnel are pretty vital resources.

BD, I'm no unthinking supporter of the military, but your attitude is ****. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, you're a ****. Who the **** ever gave a moron like a hiring/firing position in the first place? They should get the boot for a start. :D

Kansuke
03-23-2009, 11:26 PM
I thought all of Fox was... Or do you mean literally?!

That Red Eye show is a comedy program. It's not very funny, but very deliberately NOT meant to be taken seriously. So don't take it to heart.

yenhoi
03-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Red Eye is a funny show, its not a news show. Its on at like 12:30am.

Lots of people make fun of Canadians in America. Kinda how Europeans and Canadians make fun of Americans. Funny how that works.

:eek:

David Jamieson
03-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Red Eye is a funny show, its not a news show. Its on at like 12:30am.

Lots of people make fun of Canadians in America. Kinda how Europeans and Canadians make fun of Americans. Funny how that works.

:eek:

well ok then, i guess i'll make with the baby killer jokes and the rapist conqueror jokes then in regards to the us military. but just as a joke ok?

look, good natured ribbing is one thing, but petty shots in the dark simply aren't funny, especially not on the day when we tally our dead. That's just messed up.

Kansuke
03-24-2009, 05:30 AM
Let's try this again:

IT IS A COMEDY SHOW. IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. IT IS NOT STAFFED BY A 'PANEL' OF POLITICAL ANALYSTS, IT IS A BUNCH OF STIFFS WORKING THE OVERNIGHT SHIFT TRYING TO BE FUNNY FOR THE TINY AUDIENCE THAT MIGHT BE WATCHING. IT IS NOT MEANT TO REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE US GOVERNMENT, PEOPLE, OR THE STATION ON WHICH IT IS AIRED. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A JOKE.

Shall we review every joke someone has made on air about the US in the past decade or so? Shall we review comments made by public officials of the various countries represented here about the US over the years and decide who is going to be more sensitive? RELAX.

Maybe you need to travel and become enlightened and calm the **** down.

mawali
03-24-2009, 05:44 AM
The question of serving in the American or Canadian miltary has nothing to do with anything! One conviction's is to speak up accordidng (be heard) and serving in a military bears no relevance in being heard. Again, some military members attempt to ehgage in political matters that they should not be but the times have definately changed. Free people speak as they wish.

semper fi

David Jamieson
03-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Let's try this again:

IT IS A COMEDY SHOW. IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. IT IS NOT STAFFED BY A 'PANEL' OF POLITICAL ANALYSTS, IT IS A BUNCH OF STIFFS WORKING THE OVERNIGHT SHIFT TRYING TO BE FUNNY FOR THE TINY AUDIENCE THAT MIGHT BE WATCHING. IT IS NOT MEANT TO REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE US GOVERNMENT, PEOPLE, OR THE STATION ON WHICH IT IS AIRED. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A JOKE.

Shall we review every joke someone has made on air about the US in the past decade or so? Shall we review comments made by public officials of the various countries represented here about the US over the years and decide who is going to be more sensitive? RELAX.

Maybe you need to travel and become enlightened and calm the **** down.

yeah we get it. So anyway, these 2 usmc babykillers walk into a bar. Because what usmc isn't a drunken babykiller...anyway, one says to the bartender, "hey how about a glass of hot water" and the bartender looks at him all weird and says "what for" and he pulls out a freshly taken bandage from wounded mother and tells the bartender he wants to make some tea.

It's hilarious isn't it? don't take it seriously, it's just a fourm joke and doesn't mean anything.

I got another one about obese uneducated americans who don't know how to find their own state on a map of the world, wanna hear it?

Ok it goes like this, there were these three obese americans who couldn't count past 100 and only ate chips and were basically in the category of group 2 functional illiterates. anyway, there they were cramming chesseburgers down their throats when a skinny chick walks by. They all experience erections the size of nubs and recognize that the hot women must be canadian because there is no way that an american girl wouldn't be as big as them..

hilarious. want more? don't take them seriously, it's all just comedy gold. mind you, i don't expect everyone to like the same jokes and I'm certainly not broadcasting over the air via fcc regulated stations or anything...so take those jokes even less seriously...

SimonM
03-24-2009, 06:47 AM
well ok then, i guess i'll make with the baby killer jokes and the rapist conqueror jokes then in regards to the us military. but just as a joke ok?

look, good natured ribbing is one thing, but petty shots in the dark simply aren't funny, especially not on the day when we tally our dead. That's just messed up.

Quoted for truth.

Here's the thing: The daily show rips on Canada all the time. But they have Canadians on staff so they get it right and poke fun of cultural items that most Canadians think to be funny.

And so we don't get offended over those jokes.

But when we've just had a bunch of soldiers killed fighting in Afghanistan it is not cool to belittle our military.

I don't support the war and I think that was entirely uncalled for, comedy show or not.

dnovice
03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
What these fox news panelists said is down right disrespectful and inappropriate, especially since lives have been lost in the war. I would expect there to be some kind of apology soon...

Drake
03-24-2009, 07:15 AM
You don't joke about people dying in combat. That's not funny.

David Jamieson
03-24-2009, 09:00 AM
You don't joke about people dying in combat. That's not funny.

qft

I have nothing but respect for servicemen in any country who are tasked with defending their country and carrying out UN sanctioned military efforts. That goes for all us soldiers as well even though I 100% do not agree with the policy and actions taken on Iraq.

you would never, ever in a million years hear anything of the sort about the American military on a public or private network.

darn straight those idiots should apologize profusely and publicly.

AJM
03-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Fox news is the poo that poo scrapes off it's shoes.

Baqualin
03-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry guys....I don't like it when the media knocks our soldiers (which they do all the time) much less our Canadian brothers.....whats worse is when the people in our government knock our soldiers....this happens frequently. Then there's people like BD:o

Baqualin
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
qft

i have nothing but respect for servicemen in any country who are tasked with defending their country and carrying out un sanctioned military efforts. That goes for all us soldiers as well even though i 100% do not agree with the policy and actions taken on iraq.

You would never, ever in a million years hear anything of the sort about the american military on a public or private network.

Darn straight those idiots should apologize profusely and publicly.

hoo rah!!!!!!

SimonM
03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Most soldiers are guys doing a job.

As such they shouldn't be any more or less subject to legitimate criticism than plumbers.

However illegitimate criticism of any person is nothing but petty name-calling at best and downright slander at worst.

That being said I'd much rather the soldiers of both our respective countries hanging around the homefront being prepared for threats of both the natural and man-made varieties and prepared to protect.

I do not believe in the doctrine of preemptive action and I am cynical enough to realize that although it is not the decision of soldiers to make whether to fight or not this does not abrogate either the duty of those who make the decision to do so responsibly (in fact it makes that responsibility more vital) nor does it abrogate the duty of soldiers to comport themselves in a fitting manner.

So Abu Ghrave... yeah... got a problem with that. As I would if plumbers were torturing people. However for the majority of soldiers who are just guys doing a job and trying to get by from day to day without getting shot: they have my complete sympathy.

Baqualin
03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Most soldiers are guys doing a job.

As such they shouldn't be any more or less subject to legitimate criticism than plumbers.

However illegitimate criticism of any person is nothing but petty name-calling at best and downright slander at worst.

That being said I'd much rather the soldiers of both our respective countries hanging around the homefront being prepared for threats of both the natural and man-made varieties and prepared to protect.

I do not believe in the doctrine of preemptive action and I am cynical enough to realize that although it is not the decision of soldiers to make whether to fight or not this does not abrogate either the duty of those who make the decision to do so responsibly (in fact it makes that responsibility more vital) nor does it abrogate the duty of soldiers to comport themselves in a fitting manner.

So Abu Ghrave... yeah... got a problem with that. As I would if plumbers were torturing people. However for the majority of soldiers who are just guys doing a job and trying to get by from day to day without getting shot: they have my complete sympathy.

I do agree with you, but Abu Ghrave, Gitmo, or any other prison, jail or detention facility.....even nursing homes have abuse (same as torture) going on....it's not soldiers...it's people..... were a sick animal (we're still evolving:D).
BQ

SimonM
03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
This is true.

golden arhat
03-24-2009, 11:15 AM
i cant think of anything good to say abotu fox

they let people like bill o'reilly have a voice
and that geraldo guy, **** that guy.

however i have met quite a few canadian servicement and they were great guys who are out there fighting the same war we all are
denmark has alot of troops there too and its disgusting people act like its just america and britain fighting this war.

Baqualin
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
One thing I would like to say is Thanks!!! to all the Canadian soldiers... especially the snipes........my sons in the 82nd Airborne and they helped covered his a$$ while his unit was repairing bridges:cool:.
BQ

Kansuke
03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
i cant think of anything good to say abotu fox.

How about CNN? Can you think of anything good to say about them?

SimonM
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
They aren't as bad as Fox. That is all.

Baqualin
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Can you say anything good about any of todays media.

SimonM
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
If one cross-references BBC, CBC, Xinhua, Al Jazeera and the Daily Show they can usually come to a decent understanding of events reported by all five.

BoulderDawg
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
The truth is that shows such as O'Reilly, Hannity, Olbermann, and Maddow are not really news shows. They use the news as entertainment. The same is true for Limbaugh.

I love watching Olbermann but unlike Neos I don't consider these people important policy makers.

SimonM
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Using news as a source of entertainment is good - so long as they are not distorting stories with misinformation in the process.

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
The question of serving in the American or Canadian miltary has nothing to do with anything! One conviction's is to speak up accordidng (be heard) and serving in a military bears no relevance in being heard. Again, some military members attempt to ehgage in political matters that they should not be but the times have definately changed. Free people speak as they wish.

semper fi

It matters when a person makes a comment on HOW the military VIEW other military.

Kansuke
03-24-2009, 04:07 PM
they aren't as bad as fox. That is all.

Lol!

Drake
03-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Last I checked, Canada was our ally. Why the f%^& would we want to insult them? Well... insult them in a non-joking manner, anyway... :D