PDA

View Full Version : teaching tai chi to children

Paul T England
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone teach tai chi workshops within schools.. I have been asked to do some school workshops for 10-15 year olds and wonder how people adjust the teaching to make it more interesting for younger minds.

Thanks
Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

golgo
03-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone teach tai chi workshops within schools.. I have been asked to do some school workshops for 10-15 year olds and wonder how people adjust the teaching to make it more interesting for younger minds.

Thanks
Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I asked my mom to sign me up for Karate. Not knowing the difference between martial arts, she signed me up for Tai Chi. I walked into class and to my surpise I stood in a class of people in their 30-50's. I started crying.

That being said, I stuck with it for a while and ended up enrolling in my instructor's Wu Shu class. I actually didn't like Wu Shu, because I couldn't do any of the acrobatic stuff. It was a bit too difficult for me. I think the instructor is pretty well known in terms of US Wu Shu (Christopher Pei). I think he was spearheding a movement to make Wu Shu an olympic sport at the time. He was a really nice guy and made me feel like a part of the group.

I remember liking Tai Chi, but I wanted to kick ass. Older kids may have more discipline and enjoy that type of training more. I was a little bit below your target age group though. Good luck.

Raipizo
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM
most kids want action like seen on tv or movies the slow movements of tai chi would be a bore to small children.

Xiao3 Meng4
04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
You could always introduce them to Tai Ji through push hands first... Play a simple fixed step push/pull game, gauge their strengths and weaknesses as a group, and teach to their weaknesses through the form in the last half of class.

GeneChing
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
School children embrace tai chi (http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/community-papers/4877920/School-children-embrace-tai-chi)
Last updated 09:58 13/04/2011

Wairau Valley has become the latest school in Marlborough to look east and embrace the ancient Chinese martial art of tai chi.

Presbyterian Support family worker and tai chi instructor Nancy Sherwood initiated a trial after securing financial support from KiwiSport.

She went first to Blenheim School, then Mayfield, both of which took part in a six-week course.

She has since begun three separate classes at Wairau Valley, which will complete its five-week course today.

Tai chi is a traditional martial art, but one that is practiced in slow movements and with an emphasis on mental relaxation as opposed to combat.

Principals from all three schools that took advantage of the courses said it helped children's focus, concentration and co-ordination.

Wairau Valley principal Charlotte Whitlow said it was important to try something different and the children had "really taken to it".

"It certainly calms them," she said.

"I would do it again, especially getting into winter and helping them with concentration."

The children are enjoying it too.

Brad Thomas, 9, said he most liked "doing the slow movements and stretching your muscles".

Oliver Hannat, 9, said: "You get to learn about what they did back in China. And it makes you a little bit sleepy."

Nancy said that tai chi offered a great alternative to more strenuous and excitable activities.

After starting a pilot scheme in Blenheim she wanted to look outside the town limits.

"I thought it would be nice to try it with a rural school and I've been really impressed with their focus," said Nancy.

"The inner calm and co-ordination it teaches is really good for kids and it integrates the right and left side of the brain with the body."

Both boys and girls have embraced it, she said, with some girls preferring it to more competitive exercises and boys seeing it as a foundation for karate and other martial arts.

Nancy said that children were often given energetic sports and activities to participate in but there were very few things they do that "pull them into a calm space, which is what tai chi really does."

Nancy is keen to continue the programme and will continue to seek funding.

"it makes you a little bit sleepy" lol!

YouKnowWho
04-14-2011, 01:26 PM
for 10-15 year olds ...
I won't teach Taiji to anyone who is younger than 30. To young people, they need to run, jump, flip, scream, make love, have fun, ... and don't just move like old men. When the time come, they will have the rest of their lifetime to train Taiji properly. Until then, they should do something more "exciting".

I started my Taiji training when I was 7. Taiji was boring and not fun for my young age back then. I can still remember how happy I was the 1st day that I learned "tornado kick". The feeling of jumping in the air and spining my body like a bird just made me feel young.

Violent Designs
04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
I STILL can't do Taijiquan. I'd rather spend the time hitting or kicking a bag!!! :D

discoverthefire
04-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Wow this original post was from two years ago so probably a bit late for people to be giving advice to Paul, but it is an interesting topic. I think Tai Chi can definitely be taught to kids, but not Tai Chi that looks like sleepy old men should be doing it. :D

Kids enjoy stretching movements and like someone else suggested push hands is a good option, although I wouldn't start with it since they will just end up shoving each other around. Trying to teach a form doesn't go over well in the beginning. However, showing a few movements, making them springlike, and perhaps showing their martial application will definitely get kids interested and they will have fun with it as well!

That is one of the biggest misconceptions about Tai Chi. It doesn't always have to be slow and meditative. It can be explosive and physically challenging. There are benefits to doing it both ways.

bawang
04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
fast tai chi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1h8pyH7Q3Y

taai gihk yahn
04-15-2011, 04:53 PM
fast tai chi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1h8pyH7Q3Y

it's nice to see a clip of your mom doing something from before she gained weight and shaved her beard...

Lucas
04-15-2011, 05:06 PM
"it makes you a little bit sleepy" lol!

That article actually highlights a part of what is wrong with taiji today saying it focus on mental relaxation instead of combat. That is only a personal preference. Not try at all xo they even know what taijiquan is? I think it is ok if called tai chi and not taijiquan. But still to many don't know the fist is removed and think someone is learning martial from people who don't do martial. I think even more so that kind of teaching should always be called "tai chi for health" only. Too many misconception. Tai chi or taiji or taijiquan what ever you choose to say is martial, we need to call people out and make them tell the truth. If its not martial, for real martial, that should always be an emphasized disclosure.

Not pointing at those in article because they don't claim it but toooooo many doooo

For health is just fine but we should be honest with people up front. Modern wushu is similar problem but performance instead of health .