PDA

View Full Version : Finished first form.

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Learned the final moves of first form last night. It was joyous. We went to the diner to celebrate.

Shaolinlueb
03-26-2009, 08:58 AM
um, congratulations?

Lucas
03-26-2009, 09:02 AM
its always nice to be able to celebrate an accomplishment.

will you be focusing on breaking that form apart and drilling each section and technique at this point, or is that something that started as you began learning the material?

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Now as I start doing the entire form a few hundred more times, focus goes to the two-person form.

Lucas
03-26-2009, 01:07 PM
does your first two person set work the principles and techniques directly from your first solo set? or is it a seperate two person set all together?

in other words is the two man set a focus point for the first solo set.

have you begun sparring yet?

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I've been there for 4 months now and have never seen any sparring.

The two-person forms uses strikes, blocks and stances in a similar manner as the first form. I don't really know beyond that. Our place is very quiet. Sifu doesn't speak much at all, except to show something new or correct something. I kind of put trust in him, and just focus on what he has me doing at the time being. So far, I've been pretty good at not looking beyond that. The quiet manner at our place seems to be different than others I've learned about.

Lucas
03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Good deal. Every school has a different focus and atmosphere. The most important thing is that the environment is healthy and you are enjoying what you are doing. Stick with it !

GreenCloudCLF
03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I enjoyed this thread at the beginning. I thought Lucas was using the Socratic method to set up a spectacular set of "why forms suck" posts. But then he goes and says
Good deal. Every school has a different focus and atmosphere. The most important thing is that the environment is healthy and you are enjoying what you are doing. Stick with it !
:mad:

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
...... smile

Lucas
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I enjoyed this thread at the beginning. I thought Lucas was using the Socratic method to set up a spectacular set of "why forms suck" posts. But then he goes and says
:mad:

lol. hey im just trying to be supportive of his choice. ;)

he's put his trust in his teacher, and I dont want to try to harm that.

the school hes joined seems to be similar to an athletic association with the lion dances, weapons, forms, etc.

May i ask, what are your goals in martial arts wetwonder?

edit: you seem pretty active by viewing your interests on your user page, is this an avenue for you to persue a continuing healthy life style?

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 04:45 PM
When I was a kid my bedtime was 9pm. The TV series Kung Fu would start at 9pm. My Dad let me watch it a few times, but for the most part sent me to bed. I was terribly bullied as a kid. Never told my parents about it. I asked but they wouldn't let me learn martial arts. So I had this romantic image in my mind of knowing Kung Fu and thwarting my terrorizers. I've grown since and don't have that problem anymore. But the desire always remained in my mind. So I recently decided to act on the desire. There you go.

Lucas
03-26-2009, 04:56 PM
good deal. :)

everyone has their own goals and situations.

is sparring something you are interested in doing?

AdrianK
03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
So I recently decided to act on the desire. There you go.

You started thwarting terrorists? :p

Hardwork108
03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Learned the final moves of first form last night. It was joyous. We went to the diner to celebrate.

Good on you. Kung fu training is about steps and you are right to celebrate every successful step. Continue...

Good luck.:)

Hardwork108
03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
When I was a kid my bedtime was 9pm. The TV series Kung Fu would start at 9pm. My Dad let me watch it a few times, but for the most part sent me to bed. I was terribly bullied as a kid. Never told my parents about it. I asked but they wouldn't let me learn martial arts. So I had this romantic image in my mind of knowing Kung Fu and thwarting my terrorizers. I've grown since and don't have that problem anymore. But the desire always remained in my mind. So I recently decided to act on the desire. There you go.

Train diligently and patiently, then you will fulfill your "desire".:)

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
You started thwarting terrorists? :p

Kind of . . . yes, if I am recalling correctly, that is what happened.

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 07:43 PM
is sparring something you are interested in doing?

I would if it helped towards learning. I don't know much about sparring, other than what I see on TV and movies. My daughter does it in Kenpo, and points are awarded at contact of the body or leg or top of head, and usually is just nothing more than a touch.

Hardwork108
03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I would if it helped towards learning. I don't know much about sparring, other than what I see on TV and movies. My daughter does it in Kenpo, and points are awarded at contact of the body or leg or top of head, and usually is just nothing more than a touch.

Many traditional kung fu schools will "take their time" in teaching you sparring as they first want to make sure that you have proper roots;understanding of principles;understanding of techniques/applications and etc. The idea is to teach you to fight using kung fu rather than just hop around like a kickboxer.

That may be the reason why your school has not required you to spar so far.:)

TenTigers
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I believe Jerry Battle is (Dai?) Si-Hing in this school. Perhaps you should take it up with him. He is very knowledgable in Hung-Ga, and a powerful fighter. He might take you under his wing, as Si-Hing does with Si-Dai.

wetwonder
03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm aware of him by name but we've never met. I hope we do soon.

Lucas
03-30-2009, 04:53 PM
well, I ask because he has been there for 4 months and has not seen any sparring.

to note here is not that HE hasnt done any, but that he hasnt SEEN any. Perhaps you overlooked this information he gave us. To me that means that his teachers primary goal is not to develop fighters, but to develop kungfu artists. Likely leaving the fight oriented students to seek this from him further with questioning, or to seek this outlet from another source.

A lot of times a teacher will have a school and not strictly be trying to develop fighters, as the majority of people who go looking for kungfu arent always wanting to fight. however these same people are often more than happy to oblige someone who is on a fighters path. Just have to ask them.

its hard to say without knowing the teacher.

Although, historically speaking, you dont learn forms for ever then get to spar. Historically speaking, you dont learn a bunch of forms first anyway. You could teach someone to 'fight using their kungfu' without ever teaching them one form.

Its all about goals. Teachers that are strictly developing fighters, WILL have you spar early on. It has nothing to do with looking like a 'kick boxer' no one even knew what a kick boxer was in ancient china.

The sparring you described that your daughter does is point sparring. This is a tournament style type of training. In many tournaments they do this type of sparring. If you plan on having students compete under these rule sets its good to train them under these rule sets. Best competative results.

Not seeing or doing sparring isnt something to be concerned with UNLESS this aspect is at odds with your personal goals. If you want to fight, you have to find a place to do that. If you really want to spar, I would ask your teacher what his views and plans are for this. because in a 4 month time frame, not seeing any sparring at all, leads me to think he may not spar in his school. Sometimes this has to do with the fact that there is not a demand to supply. You need people who want to spar to have people to spar with.

wetwonder
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Nope, no sparring. Not seen any yet. Most of the focus during my start was on the holiday stuff. We must have done 3 dozen lion dance and kung fu demonstrations over the past 3 months. Maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know. I'll ask one of the brothers about sparring.

I do often see students doing two-man forms at lightning speeds - like what you'd see in the movies. And also strike/kick and block drills at full speed without pads. A lot of bruises follow the "crack" sound of the strikes. I haven't been told to participate in that stuff yet.

Lucas
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Nope, no sparring. Not seen any yet. Most of the focus during my start was on the holiday stuff. We must have done 3 dozen lion dance and kung fu demonstrations over the past 3 months. Maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know. I'll ask one of the brothers about sparring.

I do often see students doing two-man forms at lightning speeds - like what you'd see in the movies. And also strike/kick and block drills at full speed without pads. A lot of bruises follow the "crack" sound of the strikes. I haven't been told to participate in that stuff yet.

I could see lion dances getting in the way of regular sparring. Also you guys may just spar at more irregular intervals. It may also take place at a different time in the weekly schedule than when you train there. Lots of factors.

The two man drills are good.

Yao Sing
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I guess I missed it but where do ou train and who is your teacher?

Just curious.

banditshaw
03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
I guess I missed it but where do ou train and who is your teacher?

Just curious.

Yo, peep his sig.;)