PDA

View Full Version : Poll on using Kung Fu in a fight

wetwonder
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Many forum folks say kung fu is only for fighting. So that begs the question, how many folks out there, after studying kung fu, actually used kung fu in a fight or altercation (not counting a sporting event, tournament or sparring). My guess is that the answer will be that less than 10% have used it in a fight. Please vote.

Voting is anonymous.

Lucas
03-30-2009, 09:28 PM
i had to defend myself from an angry crack head just 5 months after i started kungfu.

i've had to defend myself more before i ever started martial arts. partially i think that is because im older, and more wise. whether thats just the age or having anything to do with martial arts i dont know.

i would say that people that actually use kungfu outside of sporting events, are either bouncing, or providing security or police work. Or getting into street fights or other criminal activity.

Although I think there are a fair amount of people who would use kungfu to defend themselvs yet on a rare and far between basis.

The right place and the right time so to speak. Most people that dont know martial arts will do the smartest thing and run if they can.

lkfmdc
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
learn this quote

Just because you are not interested in war doesn't mean that war is not interested in you

Drake
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
So far the choke slam has rendered anything I've learned unnecessary. Conflict, shove, choke slam... it's over.

bawang
03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
knee in the nuts "split the mountain save mother"
three punches "mother and son cannon"
uppercut "cannon destroy demons"
bear hug and head butt "aluhan pulls out tree"

other than that 3 time in high schol and in halifax downtown i have never fighted in 2 years and im not very good
i only learned about 10 techniques in 5 years and only used those 4

i think sanjuro said he was doorman for bar he probably fight many times using his kung fu and kyokushin

Taryn P.
03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Most people that dont know martial arts will do the smartest thing and run if they can.
-------------

Heck, people who *do* know martial arts should *still* do the smartest thing and run if they can!

bawang
03-30-2009, 10:57 PM
lol run forest run
wot happen to all the tough guy talkie talkie

Drake
03-30-2009, 11:03 PM
All depends on what you are running from. I ran once, because the guy brought in reinforcements. I'm not so smart, so a few times I had to be scraped off the floor... :D

Dale Dugas
03-31-2009, 04:29 AM
I am an ex-bouncer/doorman and had many fun filled times dealing with all manner of drunk and not drunk people who were out to cause others harm.

Great research on what does work and what can get you killed.

Fighting s u c k s but Im still here.

My qi is strong.

Standing makes it stronger.

wetwonder
03-31-2009, 04:36 AM
Looks like the vast majority of forum members get involved in fights and use kung fu. So I stand corrected.

sanjuro_ronin
03-31-2009, 06:02 AM
knee in the nuts "split the mountain save mother"
three punches "mother and son cannon"
uppercut "cannon destroy demons"
bear hug and head butt "aluhan pulls out tree"

other than that 3 time in high schol and in halifax downtown i have never fighted in 2 years and im not very good
i only learned about 10 techniques in 5 years and only used those 4

i think sanjuro said he was doorman for bar he probably fight many times using his kung fu and kyokushin

Love those names !
And yes, I have used my MA more than I care to mention actually.

sanjuro_ronin
03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Looks like the vast majority of forum members get involved in fights and use kung fu. So I stand corrected.

I think there are a few here that not only have worked the door, but some that are LEO's or things of that nature.
Of course there are also competitors too.
One thing we must understand:
While "real fighting" has its certain "necessities" for a MA, namely in learning how to deal with the unknown, the unexpected, weapons, the "drunken fighter", the group mentaility and so forth, typiclaly the guy you face in the street is not as well trained as a trained fighter you will face 1-on-1 in the ring.
I firmly believe that BOTH are need for a MA to understand what REAL fighting is all about.

RD'S Alias - 1A
03-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Well, you see, there was this one time at Band Camp... :p

David Jamieson
03-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Many forum folks say kung fu is only for fighting. So that begs the question, how many folks out there, after studying kung fu, actually used kung fu in a fight or altercation (not counting a sporting event, tournament or sparring). My guess is that the answer will be that less than 10% have used it in a fight. Please vote.

Voting is anonymous.

yes, I've actively used Chin Na I learned in Kungfu classes to restrain a person.

I've used my martial arts it to stop 2 fights as well.

I use them almost everyday to maintain my health and readiness for conflict. :)

sanjuro_ronin
03-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Well, you see, there was this one time at Band Camp... :p

Ah yes, band camp:

The music teacher and one of the players....

lkfmdc
03-31-2009, 08:34 AM
My guess is that the answer will be that less than 10% have used it in a fight. Please vote.

sure seems this poll has backfired on you :D

Lucas
03-31-2009, 08:38 AM
not to mention most of us on this forum are a bit obsessive about martial arts....:eek:

Shaolinlueb
03-31-2009, 08:56 AM
i have to say crackheads are the best to try your kung fu out on. they probably wont remember it afterwards.

Lucas
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
i have to say crackheads are the best to try your kung fu out on. they probably wont remember it afterwards.

lol, thats because they end up in jail and are like 'WTF :confused: '

wetwonder
03-31-2009, 09:17 AM
sure seems this poll has backfired on you :D

Yeah, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Taryn P.
03-31-2009, 09:24 AM
lol run forest run
wot happen to all the tough guy talkie talkie

I keep in mind that every single fight could end in getting maimed or killed. If I wind up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life, I want to know that it was because 1)the fight was unavoidable, or 2)the fight was for an important enough reason to be worth risking that outcome. Not just "Some drunk guy challenged me", or "He called me a _____". if it's not important enough to really be worth the chance of throwing away the rest of my life, I have no problem at all running away like a little bunny rabbit.

Lucas
03-31-2009, 09:55 AM
testosterone is a killer ;)

Lucas
03-31-2009, 09:59 AM
should have made it an open poll :D

Taryn P.
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
testosterone is a killer ;)

Darwinian selection, in some cases.

The bunny rabbit will live on to do what bunny rabbits do best. :D

Lucas
03-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Darwinian selection, in some cases.

The bunny rabbit will live on to do what bunny rabbits do best. :D

LOL

little bunny foo foo ;)

Shaolinlueb
03-31-2009, 11:20 AM
remember that videogame caleld NARC from the mid 80's?

you were law enforcement guys fighting drug addicts who threw needles at you.

well there is a bridge stage and you fight guys high on P.C.P. and they pick up dumpsters and throw them at you.

i think the ultimate test for kung fu master is fighting someone high on P.C.P. but that is just me :eek:

sanjuro_ronin
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
i think the ultimate test for kung fu master is fighting someone high on P.C.P. but that is just me :eek:

Don't even go there, the story I could tell you about THAT ONE !
Suffice to say that I was a happy camper that I knew how to Choke someone out !
:eek:
Short of an "oxygen choke", you can't stop those *******s on angel dust.

Lucas
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
give them a sword and it gets even more insane. oh and fill them full of cocain too.

i remember this one police story i read about where this guy that was hopped up on PCP and cocain was shot something lik e9 or 10 times as he ran down the street before he dropped. his body took time to catch up with reality that he was a dead man.