PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lees Vision

AdrianK
04-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Was it 20/20, or what? :D

Ahh, but seriously though. How important is it for a martial artist to have 20/20 vision, anyone? What would happen if you don't, and you get your glasses/contacts knocked out in a fight?

Obviously better vision is better in general, but does it pose any significant disadvantages, for those of you who need glasses or contacts?

Hardwork108
04-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Was it 20/20, or what? :D

Ahh, but seriously though. How important is it for a martial artist to have 20/20 vision, anyone? What would happen if you don't, and you get your glasses/contacts knocked out in a fight?

Obviously better vision is better in general, but does it pose any significant disadvantages, for those of you who need glasses or contacts?

Actually I seem to remember reading about Bruce Lee being shortsighted. He seemed to have overcome that and any other physical shortcomings he might have had by just training intelligently and fanatically.

anerlich
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I can't remember how many ring fights I've seen which have been stopped because someone lost a contact lens.

I tried sparring with goggles for a while when I was job hunting and didn't want to go to interviews with black eyes. The goggles were pretty scratched and vision was pretty poor. I didn't feel that significantly affected my performance - you need to be able to see farily large movement cues, not how long his fingernails are.

I've always had good vision though - someone with major vision impairment could probably answer better.