PDA

View Full Version : Pak Mei in london????

acerdell
04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi!!!

I want to practise Pak Mei in London. What Teacher you recomendais to my?

Wong Ying Home
04-06-2009, 03:33 AM
SiFu Dave Stevens in central London - He is excellent !

Violent Designs
04-06-2009, 05:13 AM
In line with tradition and the lethal nature of the systems techniques, Pak Mei Kung Fu has been taught and passed down unchanged for sporting activities, such as competition, free sparring and tournament fighting. However, within the system, there is plenty of traditional body conditioning exercises, set sparring, partnered application work where the student can learn to 'apply' the essence of the movements in a controlled and safe environment.

Heh, seems they don't do any sparring.

Wong Ying Home
04-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Violent Designs.

Guess you did'nt read the web site well enough, or understand it well enough.

Dave Steven does not advocate "Sports" sparring. Read through the web site and you will that clarification

Dave Steven is well respected and well known by the Chinese Kung Fu Community in London and Hong Kong.

sanjuro_ronin
04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Heh, seems they don't do any sparring.

They don't do free sparring, ie: unchoregraphed sparring.
The do set sparring.

Violent Designs
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
They don't do free sparring, ie: unchoregraphed sparring.
The do set sparring.

That is not sparring...

David Jamieson
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
That is not sparring...

Your way is one way, it is not the only way.

Violent Designs
04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah OK fine I'm not gonna open up another can of worms and argue about the same thing people argue about for the past five years on this forum again.

Just train whatever way you want . . . doesn't matter, doesn't affect me.

lkfmdc
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Your way is one way, it is not the only way.

an apple is not an orange, even if you call it one

sanjuro_ronin
04-07-2009, 06:05 AM
That is not sparring...

Traditionally there are many facets of sparring:
From the beginning ( most simple) to the end ( most adcanced):

3 step sparring
2 step sparring
1 step sparring
Semi-freestyle sparring
Free style sparring

Its a progression that, when done correctly, can build a very solid foundation for true MA skill.
When don incorrectly it can hinder a person's fighting ability.

CFT
04-07-2009, 06:26 AM
I would have thought the progression was:

1 step sparring
2 step sparring
3 step sparring
Semi-freestyle sparring
Free style sparring

Unless our definitions differ? I always thought 1-step meant one attack and defense, and so on.

sanjuro_ronin
04-07-2009, 06:55 AM
I would have thought the progression was:

1 step sparring
2 step sparring
3 step sparring
Semi-freestyle sparring
Free style sparring

Unless our definitions differ? I always thought 1-step meant one attack and defense, and so on.

The multiple step sparring tend to be more "easy" as they are done earlier to teach foot work and things of that nature, as you get better th esingle attacks bceom crucial because that is where the more "advanced" principles such as intercepting and stop-hitting and such take place.

CFT
04-07-2009, 07:06 AM
The multiple step sparring tend to be more "easy" as they are done earlier to teach foot work and things of that nature, as you get better the single attacks becomes crucial because that is where the more "advanced" principles such as intercepting and stop-hitting and such take place.Ah ... thought you might say something like that. In that case I'd agree. Thanks for the info.

sanjuro_ronin
04-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Ah ... thought you might say something like that. In that case I'd agree. Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear, I am NOT a fan of mulitpe step sparring.
It tends to advocate back peddeling and allowing the opponent more "shots on goal" than I like.
It shoudl be done to train a fighter to position himself in a way that as he counters the attack the multiple equation becomes irrelevant.

CFT
04-07-2009, 08:57 AM
As long as people realise there is a learning progression for the student. In a free spar, depending on the relative skill levels of the participants, it may not be possible to always be able to intercept, etc.

Wong Ying Home
04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Dave Stevens is excellent, you wont be disappointed at all, he can fight extremely well with his Bak Mei and is well known for being able to apply his knowledge. He is good teacher with an excellent lineage.

Go and visit him then you will know

sanjuro_ronin
04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Dave Stevens is excellent, you wont be disappointed at all, he can fight extremely well with his Bak Mei and is well known for being able to apply his knowledge. He is good teacher with an excellent lineage.

Go and visit him then you will know

Truly the best way, enough said.