PDA

View Full Version : Is The Choy Lay Fut in Leo Fongs Choy Lay Fut Book From Lau Bun ?

Firehawk4
04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Is The Choy Lay Fut in Leo Fong s Choy Lay Fut book from the Lau Bun Lineage ? And is whats in his book mutilated ?

hskwarrior
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, and YES

Firehawk4
04-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks Leo Fong s Choy Lay Fut in His book looks different than what i seen in the yutube clips that you have shown . I think i might throw all my Leo Fong books in the trash .

TenTigers
04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
I have seen Leo Fong's sets performed by people from Ark Wong's school. I wouldn't throw them out, as they are collector's items. Then again, I don't throw anything out. I'm probably going to be one of those people you read about who have piles and piles of stuff in their homes when they die.

bakxierboxer
04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I have seen Leo Fong's sets performed by people from Ark Wong's school. I wouldn't throw them out, as they are collector's items. Then again, I don't throw anything out. I'm probably going to be one of those people you read about who have piles and piles of stuff in their homes when they die.

As a student of Wong Ark Yuey, I remember no connection between them, let alone believing that Fong's material was taught in SiFu's school.

If any of SiFu's students have Fong's material, they got it from "somewhere else".

Nothing against Fong himself, but IIRC, he was somewhat closely allied with Ron Marchini in and around the Stockton, Ca. area. They had occasional contact/cooperation with Dan Inosanto and Tony Tulleners.

As for "old material", I still remember some of the "sets"/katas from Kajukenbo and the first of those "came in handy" (10 years ago?) when I stopped in on Rick Kinji when he was still in Inglewood.... I was able to "step in" to help show application while he was teaching the class.
He seemed more than a little bit surprised.....

hskwarrior
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
this is the form from the book....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADzoVKF180

TenTigers
04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
definately can see the resemblance. The form in his other book was demonstrated by someone on youtube-can't find it. But, I believe, and Baxie-I could definately be mistaken, that the person said he was from Ark Wong's line.
It was an old tape, the person was not Sifu Wong, or SeMing Wong, but a student.

Firehawk4
04-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Now im confused Leo in his book uses this Eaglebeak block , Haymaker Punch , Elbow blocks , split block and others . Are these used in your Choy Lay Fut ? Maybe i cant see the difference between Leo s Choy Lay Fut and yours But yours seems different than Leo s , For some reason when i see Leo his looks like Karate or atleast his Sil Lum Fut Gar style in all his books . Anyways yours is better . I reread the article last year on Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut By your Sifu Dino Good Article .

hskwarrior
04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
let me explain........

It's been heard before...i know.....sorry :( .......

um, before Professor Lau Bun arrived in America, there was no gung fu being taught. And, those who did learn gung fu prior to coming to america, were keeping it to themselves. Now, for the newer american born chinese, they had no idea what gung fu looked like. Prof. Lau was the first teacher. So, what i've noticed is that each and every individual does or was taught the Yuen Hai-Lau Bun lineage differently. There was NOTHING around to compare to. And, no one knew CLF existed outside of america.

who knows, maybe Leo Fong did that to ear mark his form so if anyone took it, he'd know where they got it from. in reality, ALL CLF is interchangeable, and whether he did a crane beak block, snake hand block, tiger claw blocks, or closed fisted blocks, the moves are there and with the moves directly following the former ones, we'd know if its cheung kuen or not.

oh, and thanks for the kind words firehawk.

Firehawk4
04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Ok i understand .

TenTigers
04-10-2009, 01:58 PM
actually, he does the eagle beak block and split block at 027 and 030, and the move is repeated. The eagle beak block is performed more of a poon kiu. Not sure what Frank calls the split block. But if you really watch, you can see that it is the same set. The difference is that Frank is a seasoned CLF guy and Leo Fong probably only had a few years under his belt at the time.

bakxierboxer
04-11-2009, 12:41 PM
definately can see the resemblance. The form in his other book was demonstrated by someone on youtube-can't find it. But, I believe, and Baxie-I could definately be mistaken, that the person said he was from Ark Wong's line.
It was an old tape, the person was not Sifu Wong, or SeMing Wong, but a student.

I don't know this for a fact, but I seem to remember that Leo Fong was a bit more closely allied with T.Y.Wong.....
It's not something I've given much thought, let alone obsessed about for all these years.... "out of sight" bit.

Oh, and although there are some "similarities", Wong Ark Yuey did not claim to teach CLF, the "3-Family Style", of any description, since he rather consistently called his style Ng Gar Kin, or "5-Family Fist".

TenTigers
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Leo Fong wrote two books, one on CLF and the other entitled,"Sil Lum Kung-Fu."
In the CLF book, he demonstrates Cheung Kune-the Long Range Fist, but in Sil Lum, he demonstrates, Lien Wan Kune-The Continuous and Returning Fist. This is the set I am referring to. I am wondering if Fong trained in more than one system, and did Ark Wong teach a form called Lien Wan Kuen?

bakxierboxer
04-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Leo Fong wrote two books, one on CLF and the other entitled,"Sil Lum Kung-Fu."
In the CLF book, he demonstrates Cheung Kune-the Long Range Fist, but in Sil Lum, he demonstrates, Lien Wan Kune-The Continuous and Returning Fist. This is the set I am referring to. I am wondering if Fong trained in more than one system, and did Ark Wong teach a form called Lien Wan Kuen?

I believe that Lin Wan Kuen is from T.Y.Wong's Shaolin.

TenTigers
04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
yes! TY WONG -Firehawk-if you go to kinmon.org, you will see the first hand set-which I believe is lien wan kuen.

HSCLFCPA
04-12-2009, 12:57 AM
According Leo Fong's website (go to his biography and then go to his martial arts biography), he trained under Lau Bun for 5 years.

I have his book (published in 1976) and the CLF is from Lau Bun's Hung Sing CLF. There are some insignificant differences between the book and what I see in today's Hung Sing CLF. Those differences might be from which period in Lau Bun's life someone might have been taught by Lau Bun or which one of Lau Bun's direct student taught the CLF or which generation down from Lau Bun the CLF was learned. When I see performances by various Hung Sing schools, I see minor differences in the CLF.