PDA

View Full Version : The New Mike Tyson Documentary

dnovice
04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
The new mike tyson Documentary is just plain great. It's an unedited view into the champs life from nothing to glory to now. Its straight forward. I think you guys will like it. Check it out!

Raipizo
04-11-2009, 05:50 PM
i really dont like boxing or mike tyson.

dnovice
04-12-2009, 05:06 AM

lol. yeah. well, that could be an issue then.:eek:

AdrianK
04-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Thats okay, its only because you're ignorant of fighting, martial arts, mike tyson, or even basic etiquette (otherwise you wouldn't have posted your utterly worthless response in the first place) :D

AdrianK
04-12-2009, 03:53 PM
The new mike tyson Documentary is just plain great. It's an unedited view into the champs life from nothing to glory to now. Its straight forward. I think you guys will like it. Check it out!

I saw something about it, I'm definitely going to check it out. Mike Tyson, for all that people say about him, is actually still a pretty smart guy when it comes to fighting... he's just not smart in a lot of ways that matter :(

Raipizo
04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Ignorant because he bites ears off? And there is no real survival factor in boxing your in a ring there are rules where as the street anything could happen what i was saying is i like arts that are prepared for the rough rules of the streets and the streets have no rules lol.

JPinAZ
04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Actually, Mike was fighting in the street in his early teens before he ever stepped into the ring.. I'm sure he'd still do well in the streets even now. Or, I might just be ignorant.. :rolleyes:

Faruq
04-14-2009, 12:22 PM
A trivial side note on the ear-eating incident. Evander Holyfield did a one hour trilogy promo special in which he detailed how much Rid**** Bowe had elbowed, shouldered, shoved, and butted him throughout his fights with Rid**** (more than the legal blows according to Evander) before their last fight; and then he went and did that exact same thing to Mike in their fight. Mike complained repeatedly to Mills Lane, and when Mills did nothing to stop it, Mike took things into his own hands (or mouth as the case may be). If you review the fight, it's all there.

Now does that make what Mike did right or even a stable person? Of course not. Just interesting trivia.

Raipizo
04-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Agreed i wouldn't of bitten someones dang ear off lol maybe bashed him around a little more than needed that's all lol

AdrianK
04-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Ignorant because he bites ears off?

It's not like Tyson is a serial ear biter that goes around biting everyones ears for no reason. There was psychological factors that are actually really interesting, behind that. Tyson has a lot of problems(all of us do), and those problems just manifested themselves in a fight where he felt like that was the only thing he could do to relieve his frustration.

And there is no real survival factor in boxing your in a ring there are rules where as the street anything could happen

This has become a ridiculous cliche. There is no survival factor in boxing??? Plenty of people have died in the ring, or had to go to the hospital immediately after a fight. But besides that, even with the rules of boxing, it still covers a broad range of fighting ability. If you understood boxing, you'd understand how much depth there is to that. It's not a street fight, but it sure as hell ain't far removed from it. It simply lacks the legwork and grappling - Two major things, but the handwork, footwork and body movement are huge parts of fighting too.

what i was saying is i like arts that are prepared for the rough rules of the streets and the streets have no rules lol.

Thats great, but the fact of the matter is, there are specialties that help you on the "rough streets", and to be honest, unless you're smaller and weaker than the average person, you're probably going to have a tougher time in the ring then you ever will on the street. From personal experience, the people I've fought on the street are ****. It was actually a rude awakening the first time I competed, because I had such success in street fights I thought I was unbeatable. :rolleyes:

But the bottom line is, boxing is a specialty, just like BJJ is a specialty, and they both help out specific aspects of fighting. Theres no one system that covers it all, and to be honest the best systems I've found are the ones that focus on specific aspects instead of trying to be the be-all system. Boxing can teach you a lot about striking, footwork, and body movement. BJJ can teach you a lot about what to do on the ground. Rules or not, there are literally thousands of important lessons you can learn from watching, training, and competing in these systems.

But thats besides the point. The original point was, it was pretty dumb of you to respond to a thread you don't care about, by saying you don't care about it. Nobody cares about your opinion if you don't have anything to say except that you don't care :) Because to be honest, when it comes to boxing and mike tyson, millions of people do.

Anyways, I saw the documentary. I thought it was alright from a technical standpoint. Tyson is an incredibly interesting person, if only for the fact that this is undoubtedly one of the best fighters of a generation, a self-made millionaire, and in a lot of ways even at his age he seems extremely young and immature.

I had a couple problems with the way the documentary was handled, some of the times when they spliced three or four talking portions of tyson together, it was kind've hard to hear what he was saying. But all of the parts when he was speaking, and the old videos of Cus, Tyson's training and his fights, were great.

All in all it was a good documentary.

Lucas
04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
from a spectators advantage, Tyson has always been a treat to watch fight. Hes explosive, exciting, and puts on a good fight. Hes definately one of the more colorful characters to ever grace the sport fighting arena.

ill be on the look out for this documentary, thanks for the heads up.

as far as boxing vs the street. meh, who cares, we all know how that goes. we also know in the street mike tyson would rip apart most people. hes fast, strong, and knows how to fight.

ps

whats the name of the documentary? or got a link?

AdrianK
04-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Its just called "Tyson".

Lucas
04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
sweet deal. thanks.

Knifefighter
04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
And there is no real survival factor in boxing your in a ring there are rules where as the street anything could happen what i was saying is i like arts that are prepared for the rough rules of the streets and the streets have no rules lol.

And what arts would those be?

mickey
04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Greetings,

With regard to the ear biting, Holyfield earned it. He did not fight a clean fight with Tyson. Then again, Tyson was not a very clean fighter either in his career. In his fight with Larry Holmes, he wickedly rapped Holmes behind his neck with his forearm in the process of "knocking him out."

mickey

banditshaw
05-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Saw this today and thought it was really good. I liked the splice thing... thought it was well directed and enjoyed the aspect of only him(Tyson) talking.
Seemed very personal.
I recommend it.

GeneChing
05-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Right when Iron Mike is trying to promote his new doc.

Tyson family asks for privacy after girl's death (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/05/26/sports/s034457D17.DTL)
By JONATHAN J. COOPER, Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
(05-27) 14:02 PDT PHOENIX (AP) --

The death of Mike Tyson's 4-year-old daughter in a terrible accident while playing at her home adds an awful chapter to the boxer's troubled life.

Exodus Tyson died at a hospital Tuesday after being on life support since she was injured Monday at her Phoenix home, police said. She either slipped or put her head in the loop of a cord hanging under a treadmill's console and was suffocated.

"There are no words to describe the tragic loss of our beloved Exodus," the family said in a statement. "We ask you now to please respect our need at this very difficult time for privacy to grieve and try to help each other heal."

Tyson, who has been living in Las Vegas, flew to Phoenix after his daughter was hurt and was seen entering the hospital.

The modest house where his daughter lived contrasts starkly with the lavish lifestyle Tyson had through his tumultuous years of boxing, when he spent tens of millions of dollars and says he had millions more stolen from him by unscrupulous associates.

During just two years at the height of his career, he earned $140 million — but he filed for Chapter 11 protection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in 2003.

He has been promoting a new documentary about his life and told The New York Times earlier this month he had been sober for 15 months after years of drug and alcohol abuse.

"I don't know who I am," he told the newspaper. "That might sound stupid. I really have no idea. All my life I've been drinking and drugging and partying, and all of a sudden this comes to a stop."

Tyson began boxing in a facility for juvenile delinquents in upstate New York at the age of 12. Eight years later, he became the youngest heavyweight champion ever when he knocked out Trevor Berbick in 1986. But in 1990, he was defeated by James "Buster" Douglas in one of the biggest upsets in boxing history, and soon after was convicted of raping a beauty pageant contestant in Indianapolis.

Tyson, who still denies he raped the woman, served three years in prison.

A few years later, he served three months in jail for beating up two men after a minor car crash in suburban Washington.

As his career continued, so did his bizarre behavior. He bit off a piece of Evander Holyfield's ear during a boxing match and once threatened to eat the children of heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.

Although Tyson's children had lived in their unassuming neighborhood for several years, he purchased a separate home in the tony Phoenix suburb of Paradise Valley in 2005 for $2.1 million, selling it two years later for $2.3 million.

In November 2007, Tyson spent 24 hours in Maricopa County's "Tent City" jail after pleading guilty to one count of cocaine possession and one misdemeanor count of driving under the influence. Police found the drug when they pulled over Tyson's car after he left a Scottsdale night club.

According to police, Tyson said after his arrest that he bought cocaine "whenever I can get my hands on it."

At Tyson's sentencing hearing, nearly a year after the arrest, his attorney David Chesnoff said his client had taken 29 drug tests without a relapse and was attending Alcoholic Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings.

Tyson had become an example of how a person overcomes problems with drugs, a violent past and poor upbringing, Chesnoff said.

"He's tried his hardest," his attorney said, "despite coming from almost impossible beginnings."

X_plosion
05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
It's just so sad to hear about his daughter's death. May she rest in peace.

dnovice
06-01-2009, 05:56 PM
It's just so sad to hear about his daughter's death. May she rest in peace.

Yes. may she rest in peace.