04-11-2009, 12:09 PM
full trailer is up it looks good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2L8Mgxd5Q

Zenshiite
04-11-2009, 12:18 PM
The looks pretty darned awesome.

doug maverick
04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
its the magic formula of corey yuen + asian women= greatness. the guy cant lose when you put a hot asian girl in his hands. other wise, ehhh he is not so effective at least not in the pass ten years or so.

RonH
04-11-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm not completely sold on it. The most glaring thing is the crouching tiger feel of some of the movie's style. Plus, all those characters that are one note don't click with me. 'I live for only one purpose'. Boring. It didn't work with Underworld for me either or Blade. It might be better if the whole movie is watched.

RAYNYSC
04-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Looks Good....

mickey
04-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Greetings,

I stand by what I wrote before. It looks lame.

mickey

Jimbo
04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, it doesn't look at all like the anime, but it looks like it'll be good to me. So long as they don't over-do the Crouching Tiger/Hero stuff. But involving vampires, of course it's going to have a higher fantasy aspect. Either way, I'm going to watch it when it comes out.

Shaolinlueb
04-13-2009, 10:28 AM
school girls with swords fighting vampires. sold me on it.

although bikiniwearing sword fighting models killing zombies seemed good chanbara beauty was awful :(

Lucas
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM
cant see the trailer at work.

is this a live action version of the anime that came out about 10 years ago or so?

That anime is really good. short but beautiful. one of my fav.

i hope they dont lose the seriousness that the main character posesses, she didnt mess around.

Lucas
04-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, it doesn't look at all like the anime, but it looks like it'll be good to me. So long as they don't over-do the Crouching Tiger/Hero stuff. But involving vampires, of course it's going to have a higher fantasy aspect. Either way, I'm going to watch it when it comes out.

ah, guess i should have read the posts closer.

sounds like its just using the name and has vampires and all other similarties end there.

<sad face>

I was hoping for a bloody, serious, kick ass, monster slaying movie.

Jimbo
04-13-2009, 02:38 PM
About all that looks the same is that the girl (if I remember right, she was also part vampire in the anime?? It's been a long time) wears a Japanese schoolgirl uniform and uses a sword. In the trailers she's shown doing MA kicks that I don't remember in the anime, and looks like she's drinking a cup or bottle of blood (I had to view it at work on a computer, too). Also, I remember the anime taking place in the 1960s during the Vietnam war period. Hard to tell from the trailer when this takes place, but it sure looks like modern or future times.

However, as Doug said, if Corey Yuen is directing and it stars a young Asian woman/women, it should be good, even if not fully true to the original anime. The only film of his that featured female stars that IMO sucked was D.O.A., and that was an American film. Corey Yuen works extra hard on Asian action flicks starring female leads.

Another thing I didn't remember seeing in the trailer was the shapeshifting, winged vampire monster from the anime. It shows a woman (vampire?) in long white robes similar to the Chinese ghost story type of movies.

Shaolinlueb
04-14-2009, 09:32 AM
the main character is a korean woman not japanese. and then i found out it was the chick in my sassy girl <3:cool:

Lucas
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
in the anime she is the last remaining original vampire. shes called in by a gov. wing to deal with an issue of halfbreed mutant vampires. the only thing that penetrates their skin is well crafted japanese steel :D

im not expecting it to be the same as the anime.

except the name.

Zenshiite
04-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, I haven't seen the TV series based on the original OVA... but it could be there are more similarities there.

I found the manga online. There's two different series. The first is the story in 1966, the second is a generation later with cellphones and all the happy stuff we loved in 2001 when the series came out. Which I think is what the TV series I metioned is based on.

So, it could be that the movie takes more from that.

Lucas
04-14-2009, 11:57 AM
ya i never watched the tv show either. the anime is one of my favs in my collection though.

i just wish when they take things like that and make tv shows, other movies, etc. if they change it to where its not the same, they should change the name too. instead of just trying to bank on the name.

like the 'ninja scroll' sequel.

Zenshiite
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, looking at the manga... Saya's not human, so she hasn't aged at all from 66 to 2001, and there's a picture of her from 1892 in the second manga.

I think a movie is usually going to be an adaptation anyways. Which I can understand certain changes. Like this whole thing with the Avatar the last airbender movie... I could've understood some changes to it, but to change the whole cultural dynamic and the ethnicity of the majority of the characters just ****es me off. It's one thing to leave some things out, tweak others, for the sake of time constraints and the difference between animation and live action.. it's another to sort of just tweak the whole mythos and world itself.

doug maverick
04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
**** avatar has really ****ed you off.lol, it ****ed me off at first too, but after being on the set and hearing good things from friends, im on a wait and see thing now.

Zenshiite
04-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd like it to turn out good, but yeah... it ****ed me off. Seems like a great chance to give Asians and Asian-Americans a huge place in American cinema wasted. I mean, M. Night was all "this can be the next Star Wars." I say no, not unless he's talking about it being a pale imitation of the original and riding on the coat tails of it's name, kind of like the inferior prequel trilogy did to the original Star Wars trilogy.

And I'm a super huge Star Wars addict.

doug maverick
04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
yeah....star wars???i think he is exaggerating. never was a fan of the original or the prequals except for revenge of the sith.