PDA

View Full Version : kung fu , credentials and culture in american society

word
06-09-2001, 08:11 PM
word , watch this, credentials dont mean crap, you know why americans care about credentials ? it's becuase of their worldview and how american works, people see progress and view people VERTICALLY not horizontally, vertical progress is what's on paper, trophys, good grades, how much money you make and all that crap in life, but horizontal progress is not the material things, it's more of the personal things, such as growing as a person, leadership etc.... things you cant see

so in america where we go to school for an "X" amount of years to get a degree, get awards, i pay 10 bucks for something then i getsomething in return, but you know what, this totally doesnt go with chinese gung fu because, just look at the saying' courching tiger, hidden dragon....... do you gusy know what that means? it's a popular saying in kung fu that when you learn kung fu you should have no ego and just be humble to get better and to learn more, even if you are good there is still soemone better because the #1 guy still has yet to come out, like a crouching tiger , hidden dragon, i can get credentials easlily, join 8 step's sifu program, pay all my fees, take as many pictures as I can, email mantis sifus around the country , talk about crap like how i wanna help improve the art and talk aobut history and a few sets, and then go to tournaments and shake hands with these sifus, take pictures, win a few trophys cause tournament kung fu people out there suck and put all that crap in some brag binder, this is all credentials here, WOW, more of an american thing dont you see foo?

and like for me to say i'm meeting sifus and taking pictures, the typical american can easily buy into it, typical american like who? YOU!!! you freaks see like 1000 views when someone posts some crap on " CHI" but you see like 20 views on something like the " DAN TIEN" which is where the freakin chi is stored in the first place, good one guys, and also , it's pointless to argue about kung fu if person A is good and person B is a typical american cause person B has NO CLUE TO WHAT person A is talkin about, person A can talk about theoryt, application, sensnitivity, moving chi along the meridians etc, ther's no way to explain that to typcial foos likle you guys

look at jon funk, has all hte credentails, is this kun fu good? no, he cna't fight ,......imagine you are walking up and down the street around the block and see this old man in the garage pracrticing, and you learn from him for 20 years, do you have crednetials no!! it dont matter in the chiense culture for crednetials about kung fu....thats' more of an american thing, so you foos gotta realize here's a culture conflict, and i understand whY YOU GUY See things the way you do, but it's wrong budddyy. and you know what you foos think also, key words for marketing to americans is
-shaolin
-deadly style
-combine styles
-dim mak
-CHI
-grandmaster
-shaoln temple
............. you guys love to look at certificates from the shaolin temple dont you? wow, i can guy buy some too, anyone can, learn from a real MONK!! WHICH STYLE IS MOST EFFECTIVE? WHY DOES WING CHUN HAVE NO POWER COMPARED TO CHOW LAY FUT?

you know i was watching a tournametn and the commmentator said " look at her, she's doign the double striaght sword, it takes a lot of coordination and flexbility to do doule weapons" FREAKS! like it doenst take coorditiona to do single weapons or hand forms,

Laughing Buddha
06-09-2001, 11:13 PM
word wrote:
-> You know i was watching a tournametn and the
-> commmentator said " look at her, she's doign
-> the double striaght sword, it takes a lot of
-> coordination and flexbility to do doule
-> weapons" FREAKS! like it doenst take
-> coorditiona to do single weapons or hand forms,

Jeez. Yes, it takes coordination to do single weapons or hand forms, too, but it takes MORE coordination to do double weapons. Don't be so touchy about what a commentator says: they could be time constrained or be saying things off the cuff in a short amount of time available to them. I've done single and double weapons so I have some inkling of what I'm talking about. And I've been a commentator too--what you intended to say sometimes doesn't quite come out as you'd hoped, especially if you're speaking extemporaneously.

-------------------------------------
</P>
A "Laughing Buddha" or "Dai Tao Fut" is usually found cavorting in front of and leading the lion(s) in a Southern Lion Dance troupe.</P>

I speak for myself and not for my Si Fu nor kwoon, so any errors I make are mine alone.
***</P>>

south_wind
06-10-2001, 06:24 AM
"He who knows others is wise, he who knows himself is enlightened." -Tao Te Ching
This is all I have to say to you for now. :)

word
07-10-2001, 10:58 PM
as

EARTH DRAGON
07-11-2001, 08:53 PM
where did all that hostility come from? who is he mad at? I suggest you blow of steam to who ever it is that made you mad! and if it is the people on this board then you have serious problems! yell at your monitor? please get out of the house a little more.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Fu-Pow
07-11-2001, 09:15 PM
Interesting post, I'm posting it in the main forum. Could lead to some good discussion. I'd ask your permission, but since this isn't copyrighted stuff...I don't have to...sorry!!!

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

BeiTangLang
07-12-2001, 07:18 PM
What a subject for you to bring up. Disclose your identity or go away. *insert theme from jeapardy*

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."

dedboy
07-12-2001, 08:16 PM
I don't even know why I bother to check this forum anymore; all I ever see is this 'Word'-person (which I guess translates as "Troll") constantly bashing the skills of people he couldn't have ever met. (That is, unless he's got more frequent flyer miles than god.)

Nevertheless, if 'Word' wants to talk about credentials, here's proof that he has none: no one who'd ever actually met (let alone touched hands) with Jon Funk would claim that he has no skill. He isn't "stiff", as you keep saying; quite the contrary, he is constantly admonishing his students (and in my case, his students' students) not to be hard or rigid in their technique.

Maybe someday we can all meet up the Tiger Balm Int.s, and this schmuck can try strutting his stuff in front of Sigong. It'd certainly be worth the airfare from Philly.

EARTH DRAGON
07-12-2001, 09:47 PM
hey dedboy if you want to check a board that has geniune martial artists asking and talking good mantis kung fu type talk then i welcome you to our forum at www.kungfuusa.net (http://www.kungfuusa.net) word you are not welcome your posts will be deleted imediatly other true martial artists are welcome also.. PS no bashing, negitivity or harsh words will be tolerated! thank you

http://www.kungfuUSA.net