PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS TAI CHI MANTIS LKE

FIRE HAWK
02-16-2001, 06:07 PM
Hi what is Tai Chi Mantis like what kind of forms is there any books on the style that i can buy.

mantis108
02-16-2001, 10:28 PM
Here's an article which I wrote. I used the Manderine Pinyin instead of Cantonese.

Dynamics of Taiji Praying Mantis
By Robert HUI
October 10, 2000

As a style that is evolved from the north, Taiji Praying Mantis (Mantis for short) has all the characteristics of northern styles. It is not only an agile long-range style, but also one that is comfortable with close-range combat. It is imperative to remember that Mantis is primarily a striking art with a highly developed progressive indirect attack approach. In hand strikes, power is generated from the balls of the feet, through the lower limbs to the spine, and deliver through the upper limbs. Most hand strikes in this style has “crack of the whip” type of power not unlike those found in Taijiquan. Kicks are delivered low to medium height as part of the offence or defense rather than an independent act in order not to scarify balance and mobility. They are often blended with footwork as an obstructive or destructive measure to deny the enemy of an operational base of support. Takedowns, which require extensive knowledge of balance and leverage, are usually the third act of combat. They are executed with decisive actions that are designed to maim and inflict damage. Acupoints and leverage are utilized to maximize the effects of joint manipulations and other grappling moves. Although the elements mentioned are quit powerful individually, combining them as Sau Fa (combinations) in different sequences really made them most formidable. Just as every problem has a solution, it is also true that every combination can either be neutralized or even capitalized by a counter. The Sau Fa platform in Mantis is as significant as Chi Sau (sticky hand) in Wing Chun. However, the main objective in Mantis Sau Fa is to train the free flow of combat elements. “Combinations are pronged to be countered, only combinations with tremendous velocity can not be countered,” is a significant Mantis adage. Mantis recognizes that attribute development (qualities) such as speed is paramount to the appreciation of its highly refined techniques; therefore, conditioning is of utmost importance, and is always at the core of very practice session. Taiji systems’ training methodologies help the practitioners to acquire the type of power that is both elastic and sensitive. The harmonious balance of lightening power and fluid grace is the reason for Taiji Praying Mantis to be recognized as both a hard and soft style.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

FIRE HAWK
02-17-2001, 02:12 AM
Great article Mantis108 i will have to find some books on TAI CHI PRAYING MANTIS.

mantis108
02-21-2001, 04:06 AM
You are welcome Fire Hawk. Glad you like the article. Do check it out. :)

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa