PDA

View Full Version : Books on meditation?

Jeff Liboiron
10-27-2001, 09:44 PM
Does anybody know some good books on meditation? thanks :)

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Kung Lek
10-28-2001, 02:06 AM
The posture of meditation by Will johnson is a good one, my sifu gave me a copy of it sometime ago and I have found it to be quite good.

There are many others that are much more long winded, this one is succinct and concise and helps with any type of meditation of any tradition.

Less than 10$ usd at amazon.com

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Jeff Liboiron
10-28-2001, 02:55 AM
Thnanks a bunch Kung Lek :)

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Watchman
10-28-2001, 04:01 AM
The Tao of Meditation, by Jou Tsung Hua.

Cheng Hsin: The Principles of Effortless Power, by Peter Ralston.

Nexus
10-28-2001, 08:47 AM
Watchman gave likely the best recommendation I could think of!

- Nexus

Repulsive Monkey
10-28-2001, 11:38 AM
Jou Tsung hwa's book is a good one. If you want to penetrate deeper and more specifically to Buddhist (Tibetan) meditation, then I believe you can ( and i know I have quoted this book a few times i the past)get no better than "Illuminous Mind" by the Very Venerable Late Kalu Rinpoche.

Terry Oi Punk
10-28-2001, 04:26 PM
Hi! to all,

I've been to different kind of meditations as such as Brahmin, Khrishna, and now into Tibetan Buddhism (actually, still in process) I was just curious if it's alright to practice meditation as taught or suggested in books? is it easier than going to some sort of Temple or similar place offering such?

Thanks! Hope to hear from you... :)

Ciao,
Terry pUnK

shaolinboxer
10-28-2001, 05:26 PM
I recommend Three Pillars of Zen. It is very comprehansive and discusses meathods, history, and personal accounts of experiences with meditation and zen.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

fa_jing
10-28-2001, 08:54 PM
I had a lot of fun (and learned alot) reading Dr. Yang Jwing Ming's series on Chi Kung. Check out
www.ymaa.com (http://www.ymaa.com)

-FJ

CD Lee
10-28-2001, 09:06 PM
I have heard this is a great book, although I have not read it.

Taijimantis
10-28-2001, 10:32 PM
Such as Buddhism, Taoism, etc. but wish to find a way to start better understanding meditation and yourself I suggest "Learn to Meditate" by David Fontana, PhD.

There is a "workbook" of sorts too, and when I relocate it to remember the name, author and publisher I will post again. This gives specific exercises and ideas in how to improve your stillness and sets reachable goals until the practitoner can readily act on their own.

Taomonkey
10-28-2001, 10:50 PM
DO NOT LEARN MEDIATATION FROM A BOOK!!!!!

There are several excellent resourses out there, but I highly caution you from doing any of the excercises in the books without the direct supervision of a qualified teacher!!! And any book worth its salt will tell you that right upfront.
FYI.
First you must learn silence.
Then learn concentration.
Then learn contemplation.
Then meditation.
(100 hours of concentration = 1 minute of contemplation, and 100 hours of contemplation = 1 minute of meditation.)

Hope you find a good teacher. If not stick to the silence and concentration, and then add a little prayer if you like.

Eight Diagram Boxer
10-28-2001, 11:51 PM
It's by Charles Luk (I think thats his name). It's excellent, and to some degree I agree that it's not a good idea to learn from a book. I think ou can start out with the help of a book though without doing any harm. Just "sit and forget".

wufupaul
10-29-2001, 07:21 PM
My favorite meditation book is definitely The Way of Energy, by Lam Kam Chuen. It's mostly posting exercises, but it's very well written and explains everything in great detail.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about
life. IT GOES ON.