PDA

View Full Version : Black Belt Nurse vs Attacker With Knife

TaichiMantis
04-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Black belt nurse hits back at attacker (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/5518448/black-belt-nurse-hits-attacker/)

A suspected robber met his match when a nurse he tried to attack turned out to have a black belt in karate.

The man assaulted 28-year-old Beth Gascoine with a knife while trying to steal her car, according to police.

But Ms Gascoine hit back, and during the scuffle, it's thought he broke his arm. However, he managed to flee the scene.

It happened as Ms Gascoine was getting out of her car, close to a medical clinic.

She told AAP, "I noticed him, but I didn't pay any attention to him and he just walked over and said 'Give me your keys'.

And I just went 'Yeah, right', which looking back, was probably the wrong reaction and he got out the knife and came at me."

She added, "It was purely instinctive ... I blocked it with my right arm, grabbed his other arm with my left, then grabbed his right again and quite possibly broke it.

"I'm pretty sure I hurt him and he dropped straight to the ground."

It's understood Ms Gascoine was a black belt in the martial art of Zen Do Kai about 10 years ago.

She's quoted as saying, "It could have been a lot worse.. I don't feel like the victim, I'm quite happy with the way I reacted."

Police have received an image of a suspect and are urging anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 00.

Taryn P.
04-23-2009, 05:32 AM
That tale isn't going to win him much respect in the Big House!

Tensei85
04-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Its great to hear stories like that, it definitely helps with the rep of martial arts for the general public.