PDA

View Full Version : So I decided to "Abandon" Kung-Fu

GreenCloudCLF
04-23-2009, 04:29 PM
After many excuses about why I couldn't get to my usual school to train I decided to take up BJJ. I was tired of driving 25 minutes each way to a 60 minute class. That extra drive time could be spent with my family. As a result I have put on a little weight (and by a little I mean 20 lbs...but I could probably stand to drop 30...). So I walked into a local BJJ school and paid.

I have been to 2 classes so far, and enjoy the work-out immensely. I will be easing into a comfortable twice a week schedule, which wil hopefully get me back into running and weights again.

I had nothing better to do, so i figured I would let you all know.

Oso
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
traiter....

GreenCloudCLF
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
traiter....

That's the problem with you Kung Fu guys. You can't spell.

Oso
04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
that's correct spelling...

...south of the mason dixon that is...

;) :D :p

was kidding anyways, have fun.

Laukarbo
04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
That's the problem with you Kung Fu guys.

:rolleyes:

Taryn P.
04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Good luck, keep us posted on how it's going.

I just started BJJ a month ago. I'm still pretty lost, but enjoying it so far. It is a very different type of workout. I didn't quit Kung Fu, though. I want both!

Oso
04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
"There is no down"

Violent Designs
04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah BJJ is awesome I just started a while back.

taai gihk yahn
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
After many excuses about why I couldn't get to my usual school to train I decided to take up BJJ. I was tired of driving 25 minutes each way to a 60 minute class. That extra drive time could be spent with my family. As a result I have put on a little weight (and by a little I mean 20 lbs...but I could probably stand to drop 30...). So I walked into a local BJJ school and paid.

I have been to 2 classes so far, and enjoy the work-out immensely. I will be easing into a comfortable twice a week schedule, which wil hopefully get me back into running and weights again.

I had nothing better to do, so i figured I would let you all know.

which school did you join?

Lucas
04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
have you completely given up training your technique?

like you dont work the bag anymore or anything?

you only grapple now?

GreenCloudCLF
04-28-2009, 06:19 PM
which school did you join?

I'm at Matt Serra's Huntington location. It's where Ivan trains so I have to keep it in the family, ya know.

have you completely given up training your technique?

like you dont work the bag anymore or anything?

you only grapple now?

Truth be told, I havent' put in solid Kung Fu training in several months. However, I have just rehung my heavy bag in the backyard and will begin work technque again this week.

Just got back from class 3 (crazy mother-in-law delayed that by 4 days) and it was a great session. We worked from the half guard. Its a great self esteem boost when you tap someone out!

GreenCloudCLF
04-28-2009, 06:20 PM
:rolleyes:

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tags on my post. My heart will always be with Kung Fu. My money is with BJJ.

taai gihk yahn
04-29-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm at Matt Serra's Huntington location.
nice place; 2 minutes away from where I work, actually (have you been into that bagel store yet? I think it's run by fa lun gong cult members...)

It's where Ivan trains so I have to keep it in the family, ya know.
I thought he went to the East Meadow one

Tensei85
04-29-2009, 03:48 AM
Good luck with training and all the best!
Actually i did the exact opposite, i went to BJJ classes for 5 years then ended up going back to Gong Fu. I guess once your indoctrinated then its all over.

Oso
04-29-2009, 04:56 AM
i'm trying to wrap my head around the bagel shop in ny run by fa lun gong ...

David Jamieson
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM

whatever you do, don't say they taste funny or they will stage acts whereby they depict you torturing bagel makers.

Then they'll all stand outside your house silently in zhang zhuan posture.

Bottom line? Buy your bagels at a place that has the last name ending in stein, berg, man, etc. :D

taai gihk yahn
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM

whatever you do, don't say they taste funny or they will stage acts whereby they depict you torturing bagel makers.

Then they'll all stand outside your house silently in zhang zhuan posture.

Bottom line? Buy your bagels at a place that has the last name ending in stein, berg, man, etc. :D

LOL - it was actually pretty funny the way that I think I figured it out: I stopped in there once when I started working in the area, and got kinda the heebies from the folks working there, but the walnut raisin cream cheese was good, so what the hey; anyway, I don't go back for a few months, and when I do, there's a poster in the window advertising this MA tournament in NY that was basically a cover for FLG (there was a thread on here, about it back last fall); so I ask the guy about it, and who put it up, and he's like, "oh, I don't know anything about it, I don't know who put it up there"; so I said, "well, I heard that it's being run by FLG", and he looks at me a bit funny, a little taken aback, and is like, "I don't know" w/this sort of nervous laugh...

not proof positive, but it seemed mighty queer to me, Mr. Frodo...

GreenCloudCLF
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
nice place; 2 minutes away from where I work, actually (have you been into that bagel store yet? I think it's run by fa lun gong cult members...)

I thought he went to the East Meadow one

I used to live on the street behind Jericho. My backyard fence had the Sitar restaurants parking lot on the other side. I walked up to the bagel store once. The bagels sucked and the people behind the counter were very creepy.

He went to the East Meadow one first, then moved over to the Huntington one. I don't know where he trains now because I haven't spoken to him in 2 months.

Where in Huntington do you work?

taai gihk yahn
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I used to live on the street behind Jericho. My backyard fence had the Sitar restaurants parking lot on the other side.
to Sitar closed - looked like it might be a neat place to eat

I walked up to the bagel store once. The bagels sucked and the people behind the counter were very creepy.
see? it's not just me then - the pimply skinny guy is especially freakers...

Where in Huntington do you work?
this year I am at Washington Elementary School and Huntington HS, but I also work at Walt Whitman ES on Woodbury Rd. which is much closer; next year I'll be exclusively at Walt and Village ES (on Convent off Jackson);

GreenCloudCLF
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
to Sitar closed - looked like it might be a neat place to eat

I always wanted to go there, but could never talk my wife into it. At night they were always packed, I have no idea why they closed.

see? it's not just me then - the pimply skinny guy is especially freakers...

He wasn't that bad, but the old little lady was hitting on me as I bought the bagels. Which tasted like they were cooked without salt and backed 3 days previous.

this year I am at Washington Elementary School and Huntington HS, but I also work at Walt Whitman ES on Woodbury Rd. which is much closer; next year I'll be exclusively at Walt and Village ES (on Convent off Jackson);
[/QUOTE]Where is Washington Elementary?

taai gihk yahn
05-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Where is Washington Elementary?
it's off about 1/4 mi. west of Park Ave just south of Pulaski on Whitson