PDA

View Full Version : plum flower poles

NorthernMantis
02-24-2001, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure if the plum flower poles are a part of southern styles or not but we have that type of training in wah lum.I was wondering if any other practitioner here has the plum flower poles in their curriculum to help increase baclance and awareness?It's supposed to be for advanced kung fu practitioners but I wanted to see if anyone here has trained that way or has it in their systems.

"Always be ready"

woliveri
02-25-2001, 12:07 AM
I have a question about plum flower poles and Wah Lum. Is there any specific training techniques or forms taught with plum flower pole training?

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
By Baird T. Spalding

NorthernMantis
02-25-2001, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure but I have seen Sifu George Kee on the plum flower poles with an army sword or a kwan do.Either one of the two,I don't remember well.I could ask my Sifu.I'll get back with you later.

"Always be ready"

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-25-2001, 11:26 PM
I've never seen a specific form or set of moves on the poles but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I believe one or more of the older (way back) students may have learned some. I helped Master Chan lay out the new poles on the other side of the Temple and he definately had a pattern in mind. I also put some short ones in my back yard for balance and stepping training.

If he passes any of that info on to anyone I'm hoping I'm included. I've spent quite a bit of time on the old poles (see profile) and I've only worked out a simple workout on the new ones. At least he's given me some minimum requirements I need to meet before he shows me so I'm still hoping. I actually like it up there although I get some strange look occassionally. I believe they all think I'm nuts.

NorthernMantis
02-25-2001, 11:45 PM
Hua Lin-

Long time since we last talked.How's things in orlando?

"Always be ready"

woliveri
02-27-2001, 03:32 AM
Hey, Hua Lin, nice stance on the poles. Yeah, I used to spend a lot of time up there as well when I was there but It looks like the quantity of poles has changed since I was there. It used to be, starting closest to goldenrod, smallest or shortest to tallest as you got closer to the fence (by the school). At the tallest were really thin (4 by 4s) poles that were quite high (8 ft?). We used to go up there and do Bai Fut Sow. Also, practiced golden chicken on the shorter poles. It definatly works on your mind as your getting to the higher poles and makes you think. Though I've seen Master Chan on the poles in magazines and in the Double Broadsword book, I've never seen a form or anyone taught a pole form.

There is no spoon.

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-28-2001, 11:54 PM
woliveri,

Those poles are still there but VERY shaky. We put a roof over the other side (left side facing Temple) and put new poles in front of the concrete area. The new ones are old telephone poles. Much wider. I liked the old ones more but I wouldn't try going up there now.

NorthernMantis,

How's Miami? We sold our resort in South Beach so I don't get down there much anymore. Anyone there going to China this year?

NorthernMantis
03-01-2001, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure if anyone's going there yet.Things are great but that sun get's to you when you train.

We have a lion dance show this coming saturday and sunday in miami though.It's going to be a blast.Well for me anyway. :D

It's hard to get to miami since I live in ft. lauderdale but I go whenever I can.

"Always be ready"

danny from miami
03-01-2001, 01:03 AM
i wanna go on the china trip but i have no cash

Sow Choy
03-06-2001, 05:56 PM
Just wanted to say hello to my Wah Lum Kung Fu brothers and sisters from Lee Koon Hung Choy Lay Fut in Ft Lauderdale.

If any of you are in the area, please stop by. we have an excellent Chinese restaurant in our plaza, they serve Dim Sum.

Peace

NorthernMantis
03-06-2001, 06:13 PM
Sow Choy-

I have a friend that lives near your area maybe we could pass by in the weekend.Actually we already did to check out that chinese store next door that has all those kung fu movies.Talk to you later.Á

"Always be ready"

Sow Choy
03-06-2001, 10:26 PM
Hey Northernmantis,

Yeah come by, we will be here Saturday from 9:30 til about 1:30.

We will be doing some training for the tournament in St Pete on March 17th.

I hope to see some Wah Lummers out there. Maybe we can all go out and party!

Peace

NorthernMantis
03-07-2001, 12:49 AM
Sorry but we have class this saturday.Maybe next saturday or some time in between we can pass by.Well have to go.

Peace

"Always be ready"