PDA

View Full Version : what will the 2010-2020 martial arts fad be?

I Hate Ashida Kim
04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
70s was kung fu (Bruce Lee, Kung Fu the series)
80s was NINJA (tons of ninja movies, posers like Ashida Kim)
90s was the beginnings of MMA (well, late 90s) and BJJ (Gracies)
2000s was MMA (Couture, Liddell)
2010s will be??????

Xiao3 Meng4
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Space MMA.

Free fall martial arts will become the next big thing, in a sphere w/ large padded columns criss crossing it. It'll be great for viewer consumption: Hight tech pre-fight shows involving the fighters launching into space and whatnot, and during the fight, any blood shed will just float around the ring in little blobs. The moves will be crazy, the personas even crazier...

...and in the end, grappling will become the standard free fall martial art.

Unless the whole thing trends more towards space boxing with magnetic boots.

Xiao3 Meng4
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
More likely, it'll be weapons based MMA that gains ground.

lkfmdc
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
mutant shaolin ninja robots (doing jiu jitsu)

David Jamieson
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
zombie avoidance and magnetic force manipulation

taai gihk yahn
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Glorified Kickboxing

KC Elbows
04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
More likely, it'll be weapons based MMA that gains ground.

What qualifies as weapons based mma?

David Jamieson
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM

well it will be more like glorified target practice.

AdrianK
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
On a serious note, I think the MMA craze is just starting... I mean, its 2009 and we've only had what? 3 movies about MMA? We need at least four sequels to "Never Back Down" before we're done with this craze :)

Xiao3 Meng4
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM

I dunno, Dog Brothers?

GreenCloudCLF
04-29-2009, 07:50 PM
We can only hope... (http://cosmicfighting.741.com/)

KC Elbows
04-29-2009, 08:15 PM
We can only hope... (http://cosmicfighting.741.com/)

The irony is, had he known the cosmic fighting method before the aliens came, they could never have abducted him. How often our ignorance leads us to a figurative anal probing. The First Lesson of the cosmic fighting is that our ignorance can also lead us to a literal anal probing.

The Second Lesson of cosmic fighting is that there is no true pain for he with a scientifically unremarkable anus.

The Third Lesson of Cosmic Fighting is that all life is made up of remarkable arses and unremarkable arses, and they are called The Petals of The Great Brown Flower.

The aura of the cosmic fighter rises up from these principles, matched with the cosmic guidelines:

1) Cosmic fight fair
2) Wash your uniform
3) Bottled Water is $2.00
4) Cash, grass, or ass: Nobody trains for free!

Yao Sing
04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
After the UFC merges with WWE and tag team MMA becomes history promoters will scramble to find the next big thing, like group fights, weapons matches, android & cyborg battles.

Ex-Wives vs New Brides will be a big hit on the Internet Entertainment website for a brief time.

The craze on the streets (read: strip mall schools) will be the ethnic arts when everyone lays claim to some ancient African Martial Arts, old Irish Drunken Fighting, Aztec Grappling, Apache Hand Battling, Easter Island Sumo and Canadian ***** Slap.

Stem Cell research will eventually lead us to Eye-4N-Eye matches held around the world by offering replacement body parts for every fighter so matches using live weapons will be the top of the line entertainment.

Wood Dragon
04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Karate.

GreenCloudCLF
04-30-2009, 04:39 AM
After the UFC merges with WWE and tag team MMA becomes history promoters will scramble to find the next big thing, like group fights, weapons matches, android & cyborg battles.

Ex-Wives vs New Brides will be a big hit on the Internet Entertainment website for a brief time.

The craze on the streets (read: strip mall schools) will be the ethnic arts when everyone lays claim to some ancient African Martial Arts, old Irish Drunken Fighting, Aztec Grappling, Apache Hand Battling, Easter Island Sumo and Canadian ***** Slap.

Stem Cell research will eventually lead us to Eye-4N-Eye matches held around the world by offering replacement body parts for every fighter so matches using live weapons will be the top of the line entertainment.

I think we will eventually see some nice contact weapons competitions. We are probably 30 years out from that, however.

It's not a martial art but hopefully we are only a few years out from getting a real "Running Man" game.

Lokhopkuen
04-30-2009, 05:00 AM
Sexy Nude Female Cyborg Hot Oil Strap-on Lei tai Submission Cage Fighting?
**wearing fishnets and spiked heel which is technically not nude but who cares...

golden arhat
04-30-2009, 05:50 AM
i think for viewers to watch something like kendo or fencing is hard because you cant make a connection with a guy in a mask, and also the viewer wants to feel like whatever he is watching is "cool" so no styupid clear plastic face masks

also weapons matches are over very quickly so as to simulate the death of the opponent.
so i cant see weapons becoming a big thing personally unless they involve the actual maiming/death of the opponent (i.e running man)

i forsee the MMA thing growing and getting more refined with people looking to other arts to gain an advantage (different tactics etc) so maybe some headway will be made with traditionally not very effective arts as they are practised atm

i see group matches being somethign that would sell very well!
tag teams, rivalries etc

but yeah so the MMA thing grows, involves more nations etc absorbs sports like greco roman wrestling
thai boxing, professional wrestling
goes olympic
splits in two the way boxing is amateur and pro.

possibly could see new rules in MMA to make it more exciting (not that it needs to be i love it)
for instance certain fighters getting paid more to pull off high risk maneuvers
bounty's for flashy performances, some sort of fight rigging

i can see china going for the mma thing in a big way aswell, looking to show off how awesome it is, as the supposed home of martial arts.

ghostexorcist
04-30-2009, 03:54 PM
**wearing fishnets and spiked heel which is technically not nude but who cares...
With such devastating moves as the "Cunnilingus triangle" and the "scissor lock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcycn9EO_jE&feature=related)"!

Lucas
04-30-2009, 04:15 PM
multiple opponents

ghostexorcist
04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
multiple opponents
I guess it could be like the 50, 100, and 300 man kumite of Kyokushin Karate.

Xiao3 Meng4
04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
How about getting back to multi-weight class, elimination style MMA tournaments?

Or week-long round robins, with a 1 week break, then a quarter finals elimination tournament and a one month break, then semifinals, a 6 month break, and the final championship.

In space.

Lokhopkuen
04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
With such devastating moves as the "Cunnilingus triangle" and the "scissor lock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcycn9EO_jE&feature=related)"!

I thought I was twisted? You the man!!:D

Actually I am really hoping the next martial arts fad will be that people begin to use it to create fellowships and life long bonds while basking in extraordinary states of health rather than plugging their egos in to it attempting to gain undue influence over others under the threat of ultra violence or at least something close to that that makes better sense than what I just attempted to say sorta kindda.

GreenCloudCLF
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Actually I am really hoping the next martial arts fad will be that people begin to use it to create fellowships and life long bonds while basking in extraordinary states of health rather than plugging their egos in to it attempting to gain undue influence over others under the threat of ultra violence or at least something close to that that makes better sense than what I just attempted to say sorta kindda.

Does being that gay hurt??:D

Lokhopkuen
04-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Does being that gay hurt??:D

This is the part of these internet forums that brings out the other side of me:p

GreenCloudCLF
04-30-2009, 07:33 PM
This is the part of these internet forums that brings out the other side of me you little B itch:p

So, while some people talk smack and throw challenges that will never happen, you put out fuzzy feelings that you don't want to come true. OK.

Lokhopkuen
04-30-2009, 07:35 PM
So, while some people talk smack and throw challenges that will never happen, you put out fuzzy feelings that you don't want to come true. OK.

Tossing insults is a great way to make friends....

GreenCloudCLF
04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Tossing insults is a great way to make friends....

Did I need to put a smiley face on it to let you know I was kidding?

Lokhopkuen
04-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Did I need to put a smiley face on it to let you know I was kidding?

My sense of humor was awarded to my ex in our divorce proceedings:rolleyes:

IronWeasel
04-30-2009, 08:16 PM
It will be Deathmatch!

Fighters will each sign a life insurance policy naming the victor as beneficiary.

Deathmatch Viaticals!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viatical_settlement

Lama Pai Sifu
05-01-2009, 08:17 AM

Are you kidding? SNFCHOS-OLTSCF Seaon 2 is already on Blue Ray....

Where have you been, under a rock? Dude...(shakes head)

GeneChing
05-01-2009, 09:29 AM
...I'm voting for thong fu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53663) (with a side of nachos (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37625)).

But seriously, if karate succeeds with its Olympic (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39275) bid, that has some potential for sure. We're already seeing some effect of that potential now (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=929683&postcount=59) in the wushu circles.

Ultimatewingchun
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
"what will the 2010-2020 martial arts fad be?"

***MORE standup striking and kicking, less "working" the guard, more submissions that chain from "seemingly" nowhere.

Scott R. Brown
05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Full Contact Meditation!!

golden arhat
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
combaton! 12345678910

Lokhopkuen
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Are you kidding? SNFCHOS-OLTSCF Seaon 2 is already on Blue Ray....

Where have you been, under a rock? Dude...(shakes head)

I'm so outta touch bro. Hey can you rip me a copy?!?!?:D