PDA

View Full Version : new donnie yen flick-14 blades

doug maverick
05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
ok its now time to start a donnie yen thread cause the guy is coming out with tons of films:

-- 14 Blades --

14 Blades (Imperial Guards), directed by Daniel Lee and stars Donnie Yen and Vicki Zhao, is expected to begin production in Hengdian in a month or two.

During the Ming Dynasty, the Emperor of China possessed one weapon greater than all others, the Imperial Guards, an elite force of assassins recruited from street orphans. Trained in clandestine combat from childhood, the Imperial Guards were masters of the 14 Blades, eight being for torture, five for killing, and the last blade being reserved for suicide when a mission failed. Above the law, with a license to kill, the Imperial Guards devoted their lives and lethal prowess to the service of the Emperor alone.

When the Imperial Court is taken over by evil eunuch Jia, the best of the Imperial Guards, Green Dragon and Xuanwu, are assigned to steal a list identifying those still loyal to the Emperor. However unbeknownst to Green Dragon, the Imperial Guards have fallen under the control of Jia, and during the mission Green Dragon is betrayed by Xuanwu and barely escapes with his life. Now as the most wanted man in the land Green Dragon must seek out and rally the loyalists to rise against Jia and restore the Emperor to power. In his way are the deadliest assassins in the land, his former brethren, the Imperial Guards.

Donnie Yen will play Green Dragon, while Vicki Zhao someone the former runs into while he is on the run. Twitch

as for this one......i gotta say i like donnie in more modern action pieces, with ofcourse yip man as an exception, however if this has some really great action scenes, and not wire filled garbage this could be great. story sound generic but that could be a good thing.

jethro
05-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I hope it's good, but I don't like Daniel Lee being involved.

Tensei85
05-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Awesome! Another Donnie Yen movie I can't wait! Sounds a little similar to some flicks in the past but hey its all good...

doug maverick
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Awesome! Another Donnie Yen movie I can't wait! Sounds a little similar to some flicks in the past but hey its all good...

like i said the story is generic

GeneChing
05-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I've probably mentioned I'm a Vicky Zhao fan too. Who can resist those big watery eyes?

Production for martial arts movie '14 Blades' begins (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/429298/1/.html)
Posted: 15 May 2009 0038 hrs

SINGAPORE: Production will officially begin for '14 Blades', a Ming-era martial arts movie directed by Hong Kong filmmaker, Daniel Lee.

Starring Donnie Yen and Vicki Zhao, it will be MediaCorp Raintree Pictures' second co-production in China. Raintree is the biggest overseas investor in the period action drama said to be Asia's answer to Bourne Identity.

'14 Blades' tells the epic story of a secret agent in ancient China during the Ming dynasty.

Weaving in themes of loyalty, chivalry and brotherhood, '14 Blades' is expected to showcase a dazzling mix of martial arts and espionage set against soul-stirring and majestic scenes.

Producer Daniel Lee said: "What is important is for the movie to have a contemporary feel. It should not feel like martial arts movies produced in the 1970s. If so, it will not be watchable. It should not resemble Hu Jinquan's movies. It will be contemporary in aesthetics, martial arts, treatment of the script, and outlook towards life."

Donnie Yen said: "I was very excited when the producer told me that he will project to the audience a martial arts world that has otherwise not been seen."

"During the process of casting, all my clothes, my image were totally different from my earlier image as projected in my earlier period movies. This gives me a brand new feeling," said Vicki Zhao.

'14 Blades' will be shot in Hengdian in Ningxia province. Production will begin this Sunday and will last till mid-August.

Raintree's first production in China was Painted Skin, which was based upon Liao Zhai, an ancient supernatural Chinese classic. - CNA/vm

Shaolinlueb
05-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I've probably mentioned I'm a Vicky Zhao fan too. Who can resist those big watery eyes?

come on gene , who isnt a vicky zhao fan?

doug maverick
05-15-2009, 12:00 PM
What is important is for the movie to have a contemporary feel. It should not feel like martial arts movies produced in the 1970s. If so, it will not be watchable.

did this moron really say that??? is he trying to say the the old shaw brothers and golden harvest films are "unwatchable" is he ****ing kidding me. every film he has ever made is ****ing unwatchable. see this why hate daniel lee, cant direct his way out of a paper bag and should keep his mouth shut. even with donnie yen. this story has been done and done again and again, its nothing new and its definitley not an answer to the bourne identity.

Shaolinlueb
05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
did this moron really say that??? is he trying to say the the old shaw brothers and golden harvest films are "unwatchable" is he ****ing kidding me. every film he has ever made is ****ing unwatchable. see this why hate daniel lee, cant direct his way out of a paper bag and should keep his mouth shut. even with donnie yen. this story has been done and done again and again, its nothing new and its definitley not an answer to the bourne identity.

old shaw brother movies are awesome. well not all of them, but a good portion are.

GeneChing
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I guess even Donnie is crushing on her...

Donnie Yen Longs for Romance in New Film (http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/05/15/1261s484925.htm)
2009-05-15 16:42:29 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Xie Tingting

Donnie Yen says his new film "14 Blades" will compensate for his unrequited love for Zhao Wei in a previous film.

"Let me embrace 'love' this time," the Hong Kong action star said Thursday at a press conference in Beijing, where director Daniel Lee announced the start of filming.

In the martial-arts film, Yen plays a Ming Dynasty secret agent, who goes through adventures alongside his lover, played by mainland actress Zhao Wei.

Yen and Zhao collaborated in Gordon Chan's 2008 thriller "Painted Skin", in which Yen's character is in love with Zhao's, but the latter is married to another man.

"There were regrets last time around... Let me enjoy a good 'romance' this time," Yen joked.

"14 Blades" also features Brunei-born Chinese singer-actor Wu Chun.

The film is scheduled for release during the New Year season.

...and we all love the classic Shaw Bro flicks. But I confess, it's an acquired taste. If you're not into martial arts, it's like watching westerns and not being into gunplay.

Shaolinlueb
05-19-2009, 11:50 AM
steamy sex scene with donnie yen would be worth admission alone :eek::eek::eek:

as long as we see more b00bies then donny.

doug maverick
05-19-2009, 11:54 AM
that would be hot....donnie could go after tony luengs spot. dude has a sex scene in every film he has been in in the last 6 years or so. still cant get the image of his hairy balls out my head from lust caution.

Jimbo
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I've seen one Daniel Lee film that I know of, but if anything is unwatchable, it's his stu-pid film. I already swore never to mention the title again on this forum, only that it's Dragon Dynasty release # 19. One of the absolute worst-directed movies I've seen of any genre. I can't say this upcoming film will suk, but I probably won't find out; I felt like I got burned after buying DD19. You know, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..." etc.

Before Daniel Lee criticizes '70s classics, maybe he should really learn to direct movies himself.

doug maverick
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
my sentiments exactly.....and that film that you swore never to mention ill do it for you...it was dragon squad and it was dragon sh!t...as for as im concerned

TenTigers
05-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I much prefer the Mo Hop Peen fliks to the modern types. Heaven Sword and Dragon Blade is one of my faves. I am looking foward to seeing more recent Mo Hop Peen , and Yen might make this one come alive. Let's hope.

jethro
05-20-2009, 12:42 AM
The best Daniel Lee movie I've seen is Black Mask. Probably the only reason it has any good action is because Woo Ping and the other ADs wouldn't allow Lee to have complete control over the action. The Daniel Lee movies I've seen are A Fighter's Blues, Black Mask, Star Runner and Dragon Heater. All have bad to average action, and all are bad movies, except for Black Mask which is decent.

GeneChing
11-10-2009, 10:39 AM
A Chinese New Year release.

CNY falls on Valentine's day this year. It'll be a day to wear a lot of RED :cool:

Yen says he enjoyed exploring villain role (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gF2q5zRa_TaPNQV578gz1AQTFYTQD9BSJ3B80)
By MIN LEE (AP) – 8 hours ago

HONG KONG — Action star Donnie Yen says he signed on to play an ancient Chinese secret service agent in his new film — even though it was another kung fu epic — because he wanted to tackle the role of a villain who discovers his humanity.

Historical or martial arts blockbusters have dominated the booming mainland Chinese film market in recent years — and Yen is one of the genre's biggest stars. The mainland-born, Hong Kong and Boston-raised actor most recently starred in the hit biopic of Bruce Lee's teacher, "Ip Man." Other recent action credits include "Hero," "Seven Swords," "Flash Point," "Dragon Tiger Gate" and "An Empress and the Warriors."

Promoting his new movie "14 Blades" in Hong Kong on Tuesday, Yen told reporters while he's always looking to broaden his repertoire, he agreed to another action flick because he could explore a villain's transformation.

Hong Kong director Daniel Lee's kung fu thriller revolves around the Chinese emperor's secret service in the Ming Dynasty (1368 to 1644) — the "Jin Yi Wei" — which Yen described as orphans who were trained into ruthless killers used to pursue the emperor's personal vendettas. Yen plays Qing Long, a secret service agent who's betrayed and hunted by his colleagues. He falls in love while on the run, discovering his compassion after years of senseless killing.

"14 Blades" describes how the relationship transformed "a killing machine to a real human being," Yen said.

"This is very different from the other ancient Chinese epics I've starred in," he said.

Yen, a veteran action star who once trained with Jet Li's teacher in Beijing, joked that his co-star, newcomer Kate Tsui, was a clumsy fighter — but added that actual kung fu prowess doesn't matter as much as capturing a fighter's spirit.

"Whether you know kung fu isn't the most important thing. The most important thing is whether you can project the aura of an ancient fighter," he said.

"14 Blades" is scheduled to be released on Feb. 11.

GeneChing
01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
There's a trailer - follow the link for it.

"14 Blades" to hit big screen in Feb. (http://english.cctv.com/program/cultureexpress/20100104/101708.shtml)
2010-01-04 10:32

Kungfu film "14 Blades" will hit the big screen on February 4th. The trailer has been released, and it's nearly 4 minutes long. Let's take a look.

The Ming Dynasty action film tells the story of how a loyal bodyguard of the emperor is trapped and his escape with his sweetheart. "14 Blades" is described as the epic story of a secret agent in ancient

China. It weaves the themes of loyalty, chivalry, brotherhood and of course romance. It's expected to showcase a dazzling mix of martial art and espionage set against soul-stirring and majestic scenes.

Under the helm of director Daniel Lee, the period film is led by Kungfu star Donnie Yen and mainland A-list actress Zhao Wei. Lee has promised an action-packed 60 minutes and calls the film an updated version of the action blockbuster "Bodyguards and Assassins," which also stars Donnie Yen.

GeneChing
01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
14 BLADES 2010 NEW TRAILER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai9Ry80VYRA&feature=related)

Sammo looks good. Zhao Wei better not cry. Was that Captain Jack Sparrow? :p

GeneChing
02-03-2010, 10:51 AM
With True Legend (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52398) opening next week, the Year of the Tiger is off to a great start for martial arts films. :D

Kungfu epic '14 Blades' expected to become blockbuster hit (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1035012/1/.html)
By Channel NewsAsia's China Correspondent Glenda Chong | Posted: 03 February 2010 1601 hrs

SHANGHAI : MediaCorp Raintree Picture's latest production, kungfu flick "14 Blades", is set in the Ming Dynasty and tells the story of a secret agent in ancient China.

The title refers to the blades bodyguards used to kill their victims; eight for torturing, five for killing and the last is for suicide should they fail their mission.

The movie weaves in themes of loyalty, chivalry and brotherhood.

"14 Blades" showcases a dazzling mix of martial arts and espionage in majestic, soul-stirring scenes.

Shot in Hengdian and Ningxia Province in China, with a budget of almost US$15 million (S$2.1 million), the blockbuster movie is directed by Hong Kong director Daniel Lee and features Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen as the male lead.

"Everytime I take on a role, I like to bring something fresh and new to the audience... '14 Blades' will bring a whole set of standards to Wuxia dianyin [Wuxia films]," said Yen.

Also starring in the movie is MediaCorp's Qi Yu Wu, who had previously acted alongside Yen in the 2008 film "Painted Skin".

He even had to undergo marital arts training before filming started.

Said Qi, "Because there's a lot of action in this movie, so before the production start, I went to Hengdian to have three weeks action training and also horse riding...

"'14 Blades' was a very good experience because an actor I'm working with a lot of passionate filmmakers, directors, actors ... I feel everyone is trying their best and Donnie, Zhao Wei and Wu Chun, they're very passionate. They want to do 110 per cent to 120 per cent - so I need to push myself to be the best."

"14 Blades", Raintree's second collaboration in China, is expected to be a box office hit and rake in more than US$30 million (S$42.2 million) on the mainland.

"14 Blades" opens on Thursday in China and Singapore.

Cinematheque: Kung Fu star Donnie Yen sets out on a deadly mission in 14 Blades (http://shanghaiist.com/2010/02/03/cinematheque_20.php)

Can we ever get enough of kung fu movies? We don't think so, and are therefore thankful to the Chinese movie industry for offering us its never ending stream of beautifully set fighting epics. This time, we´ll cuddle up in the cinemas to 14 Blades,(锦衣卫) a 14th century Ming-era martial arts movie from director Daniel Lee starring Donnie Yen and Vicki Zhao.

The movie will be the first pairing of Donnie Yen with the director of Black Mask, Dragon Squad and Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon.

This martial arts epic stars certified Kung Fu badass Donnie Yen in the role of Qinglong, or Green Dragon. He is the best of the so called Jinyiwei, an imperial elite force of assassins recruited from street orphans. Jinyiwei were masters of the 14 Blades, eight being for torture, five for killing, and the last blade being reserved for suicide when a mission failed. When the emperor is kidnapped and the court taken over, Qinglong takes on the mission of restoring the emperor to power.

Apart from starring Chun Wu, "the hottest teen idol in Asia", we will also see Zhao Wei (Vicki Zhao), who must have had a quite busy year, playing the role of Mulan, starring in both The Foundation of a Republic and John Woo's Red Cliff: Part II, as well as recording 30 episodes of Chinese TV drama An Epic of a Woman (Yi ge nü ren de shi shi). In 14 Blades her role is called Qiaohua, a daughter of a safe house proprietor who "nurses the wounded Qinglong (Donnie Yen) back to health reluctantly".

Some netizens have suggested that the movie is in fact a remake of a 1984 Shaw Brothers film called Secret Service Of The Imperial Court (Gam yee wai). This due to their striking similarities:

Both are set during the late Ming Dynasty and center on an elite team of highly trained warriors loyal to the emperor. Both feature a power-hungry eunuch who has wrested control of the government from the weakened emperor and taken over the elite band of warriors for use in ridding himself of imperial loyalists. Both films have an elite team member who has remained loyal to the emperor and becomes a fugitive forced to fight his former comrades in order to protect the empire.

The film, budgeted at $20 million, is produced by Three Kingdoms producer Susanna Tsang through her Hong Kong-based Visualizer Film Prods. and mainland China's Shanghai Film Group. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tsang said, "14 Blades is really the first James Bond film from China and is based on historical fact. Audiences from China and abroad have never seen this type of Chinese movie before."

But, during the press conference, Yen showed a much humbler attitude regarding his status as China's current number one martial arts star:

I never thought I´d be called the "King of King Fu" said Yen. Every actor has their own style. Each actor who has been performing for many years makes their own contributions. It´s luck that some people like my films.

Daniel Lee has promised a full hour´s worth of fighting action while Yen promised the film has more to offer than just kung fu.

doug maverick
02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
there seems to be some jealousy going on..every interview i read from chinese filmmakers they are all commenting on avatar...

Donnie Yen 14 Blades Interview: Looking Forward to Working with Tony Jaa

What makes Green Dragon in 14 Blades different?
Donnie Yen: The character Green Dragon is something I've never tried before, for this person is neither good nor evil. I have done two similar roles before, one was Once Upon a Time in China, but it wasn't fully fleshed out. Initially, I didn't have confidence to bring out something fresh in this character, but director Daniel Lee told me to approach it from a villainous angle, then I started getting a hang of it. Personally, I'm completely different from Green Dragon, so I find this character very novel, for it's the exact opposite of my real life.

Based on what you've said, it seems that you're spending more time on acting than action?
Donnie Yen: You can say that, I'm spending more "kungfu" on this area. I'm most satisfied with Bodyguards and Assassins, its emotional scenes are more intricate than Ip Man, and has more depth. At first, I was worried that I might not be able to handle the role as a gambler well, I was pondering if I should accept the film. Actually, my first offer was the beggar, but I insisted on turning it down, or I'd be the best fighter, nothing new. Subsequently, Peter Chan thought of giving me the role of the rickshaw puller, if I did that role, it would definitely be very different from what you saw. But, eventually, Peter Chan helped me rewrote this gambler character for me. My acting will be more mature, in particular, in Ip man 2 and Legend of Chen Zhen.

You've directed a few films before, would you consider pursuing this path?
Donnie Yen: I have certainly thought of directing, but not right now, for now, I'm focusing on raising my acting skills even ****her. When I have no more drive as an actor, I'd stop acting and become a director, whether it's a film I'm in or direct, I hope to leave behind sweet memories.

Press conferences for 14 Blades and Yuen Wo Ping's True Legend are being held on the same day, the media will inevitably be comparing these two films.
Donnie Yen: I don't think 14 Blades' rival is True Legend, our opponents are all films released in the same period. Besides, 14 Blades and True Legend belong to different genre, one is wuxia, the other is kungfu, it's like comparing apples and oranges. It'd be more fitting to compare it with Ip Man 2 or Legend of Chen Zhen.

14 Blades is a film with excellent action, and its drama is pretty decent. Wuxia films have been around for decades, and have become part of many people's lives, and the audiences have certain demands. I have been filming for over 2 decades, encountering countless scenes, what I'm after nowadays is not outstanding action, for that is already a part of my film. I hope everyone would support our own Chinese films, can't let Avatar be the sole blockbuster.

Yuen Wo Ping was your mentor, what do you think of the two movies clashing in the theatres?
Donnie Yen: Without Yuen Wo Ping's induction, I wouldn't have entered the industry. It's been 27 years, when I was 19, Yuen Wo Ping brought me into this trade, but we went our own ways more than 10 years ago. I'm eternally grateful to and respectful of him. I would still support his films if there's a chance, and learn from him.

What are your plans for this year?
Donnie Yen: There are a few works in the pipeline, very tightly packed. In March, I'll be doing Guan Yun Chang, in summer, might be working with director Peter Chan again. There are many film offers towards the end of the year, but I haven't made up my mind, 7 to 8 scripts, it's impossible for me to do all of them, I'd choose 2, 3 that gives me ample room to develop.

Heard that you're collaborating with Tony Jaa and there would have a decisive showdown?
Donnie Yen: Indeed, there's such a plan, director Stanley Tong and Raymond Wong are helping me invite Tony Jaa, I hope they'll succeed, but can't divulge the details. Hunan TV

Lucas
02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Yen and Jaa.....please make that happen oh movie gods

GeneChing
02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Yen vs. Jaa would be the Godzilla vs. King Kong of kung fu cinema 2010.

Lucas
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
ya except we all know godzilla shoulda wtfpwnd kingkongs monkey ass ;)

i hated that they were the same size....ya a stupid monkey beating freaking GODZILLA back into the sea. not likely

/endrant

haha

not many people have actually seen that old flick.

Hebrew Hammer
02-03-2010, 11:29 PM
14 BLADES 2010 NEW TRAILER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai9Ry80VYRA&feature=related)

Sammo looks good. Zhao Wei better not cry. Was that Captain Jack Sparrow? :p

This movie looks no bueno...the raincoats were a nice touch.

Jimbo
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Yen vs. Jaa would be the Godzilla vs. King Kong of kung fu cinema 2010.

I've been hoping for a Yen vs. Jaa movie for years. I'm not sure how the respective egos would allow it, but it would be the number one onscreen matchup. Or, in the least, have them fight to a draw, and eventually team up at the end (so neither one has to 'lose'). Problem is, then you'd have to bring in a villain, or a group of villains, that would be worthy of facing both Jaa and Yen. Maybe Kim Won-Jin? However it happens, they need to do it, and soon, before one or both are too old. A Jackie Chan/Jet Li showdown would have been so much better back in the '80s/early '90s than it was in Forbidden Kingdom.

Lucas:

I saw King Kong vs. Godzilla back in the early '70s. Even then, I thought the gorilla suit was probably the worst monster suit of all time. And they had to make King Kong bigger than the original; otherwise, Godzilla could've squashed him like a bug. :)

GeneChing
02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
in Asia.

Kung fu tussle (http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=43425)
14 Blades offers romance, plenty of hunks and beauties plus heart-stopping action to draw in the crowd
by Sharon Wong

COMEDIES are the usual cinematic fare for Chinese New Year but if you are game for something different this year, check out 14 Blades.

It offers a touch of romance, and plenty of hunks and beauties in the form of kungfu master Donnie Yen, singer-turned-actor Wu Chun (of the Taiwanese group Fahrenheit), Vickie Zhao and Kate Tsui. There is also heart-stopping action to boot.

Director Daniel Lee is confident these will draw in the crowd to his movie about the Jinyiwei, an elite group of secret service men in the Ming Dynasty who answer only to the Emperor.

A betrayal causes the head of the Jinyiwei to go on the run, pursued by deadly enemies. Along the way, he finds love, and discovers his duty and above all, himself.

Lee, who was in town recently with Wu Chun to promote the movie, admitted that Donnie Yen was his choice to play the lead character of Qing Long right from the beginning.

"Everybody knows he’s one of the top martial arts actors around. But he also has that aura that can lean towards either good or evil.

"As a villain, he instils fear in anybody who looks upon him but when he changes to good, he is also believable. That initial villain image is important for the movie and Donnie is perfect in that."

As for Wu, who plays the leader of a band of desert thieves, Lee said he wanted to bring out another side of the young singer to the audience.

"Wu already has a certain image as a singer. In this movie, there will be more to him than what people normally see. Wu is able to give that extra as a desert thief in search of something more, to the audience."

Wu felt that this movie is an important milestone for him. He sees it as a stepping stone to show off his other capabilities. "I’ve seen and learned a lot in this movie. "It’s an invaluable experience for me and it will help me prepare for future roles."

In preparation to execute the martial moves required of him in the movie, where he fights not only with Yen but also Kate Tsui, Wu not only took up martial arts training that focused on swordplay but also watched the others in action.

"The director was very clear on what he wanted and I tried to capture the feel of the character by observing and learning from others," he said. "I also loved the martial arts training. I had studied boxing as well as some martial arts before so it was not much of a problem."

However, Wu admitted that the idea of fighting with Yen put him under some pressure. "It was all real fighting," he revealed, "requiring speed and strength. Afterwards, I was blue and black all over. We didn’t want to use stand-ins and although the risk of getting hurt was there, it was fortunate we weren’t hurt.

"However, I was not so much afraid of getting hurt but of not putting in enough effort and not being good enough."

The fighting scenes between him and Tsui were a little different, with more wires and beautiful poses and moves. With a dance base behind both of them, they were a delight to watch.

Tsui’s character Tuo Tuo uses a thin long sword that is wrapped around her when not in use. She also wears a seven-layered veil-like slough, which she sheds as a weapon during battle. when she does that, she causes her enemy to hallucinate and ‘see’ several images of Tuo Tuo.

Tsui is the epitome of grace as she goes through her moves and Lee could not be more pleased with his choice of her as Tuo Tuo.

"Kate is really good in dance although she’s not so adept at martial arts. Her moves are sexy and beautiful and with her slanted eyes and make-up, she is the image of the devil woman," Lee said.

Tsui was initially apprehensive about taking up the role and had said it gave her a certain amount of pressure, especially since this was her first time in an action movie.

In addition to the excellent action scenes, the audience is in for another visual treat as they get to see the three actors in certain stages of undress.

But Lee was quick to point out that for Yen and Tsui, the scenes were absolutely necessary as they went with the flow of the movie.

"The characters they play are born to serve in every way and they belong only to their masters and are tattooed accordingly. We wanted to show that off.

"As for Wu Chun, well, I couldn’t very well let him off the hook!"

Wu had no qualms showing off his abs as he has been working out regularly since the age of 16 (he is, after all, the owner of a gym back home in Brunei).

But Wu is still envious of Yen’s physique as well as his devotion to maintaining it. "Most of us are tired at the end of filming but Yen will take the time to work out."

As for the movie’s theme being a little out of the usual Chinese New Year genre, Lee said that there is a message in the movie and he wants to get that across to the public.

"Although it starts out being a little dark, the message is that if there is hope, there is happiness."

And who would deny an abundance of happiness in the coming Year of the Tiger, or anytime of the year either.
Tuo Tuo sounds kind of interesting - sort of medusa-like. I'm not familiar wit Kate Tsui - a beauty queen & TVB star...
http://www.sun2surf.com/images/sun2surf/articles/43425/18a2kate%20tsui.jpeg.jpg

GeneChing
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
No mention of U.S. :(

Easternlight cuts deals on 14 Blades (http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/berlin/european-film-market/easternlight-cuts-deals-on-14-blades/5010811.article)
14 February, 2010 | By Jeremy Kay

Easternlight Films has closed key territories on the Chinese revenge tale 14 Blades, which has raced to more than $8.7m in its first four days at the Chinese box office.

Easternlight managing director Ying Ye has closed deals with Icon in the UK and Australia, Sony in Japan, Koch Media in Germany, Metropolitan in France, Aqua Pinema in Turkey and Ballistic Films in the Middle East.

Elsewhere, rights have gone to Noori Pictures (South Korea), Golden Harvest (Hong Kong), Long Shong (Taiwan), Media Films (Thailand), Soundspace (India, the Philippines), and PT Amero (Indonesia).

Daniel Lee directed and Visualizer’s Susanna Tsang produced the tale of a trained killer who must battle his own sect to restore the rightful emperor to his throne

ghostexorcist
02-24-2010, 08:14 PM
New Donny Yen flick called 14 Blades. Yen plays an officer in the Ming Emperor's secret police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai9Ry80VYRA

SPJ
02-25-2010, 08:23 AM
yes. I bought the dvd in early feb.

he played jin yi wei or royal secret agent for the emperor in ming dynasty.

hong jin bao played the brother of the emperor that wanted to seize the power.

all the big things happened at the border town guarding the entry to china from the western desert countries of xi yu.

--

he is the best of the best or like one man army.

his weapon is a box of blades--

Zhao Wei is always my favorite. in the end, she is dreaming of him coming back with the bells ringing on her wrist--

---

oops. spoiler alert--

--

:D

ghostexorcist
02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
yes. I bought the dvd in early feb.

he played jin yi wei or royal secret agent for the emperor in ming dynasty.

hong jin bao played the brother of the emperor that wanted to seize the power.

all the big things happened at the border town guarding the entry to china from the western desert countries of xi yu.

--

he is the best of the best or like one man army.

his weapon is a box of blades--

Zhao Wei is always my favorite. in the end, she is dreaming of him coming back with the bells ringing on her wrist--

---

oops. spoiler alert--

--

:D
He seems like her bulked up for this movie. He is a muscular guy, but he looks bigger than usual.

Can you send me a link to where I can get it? That is if you didn't buy it on the usual places like Ebay or Yesasia.

GeneChing
02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
It's Donnie Yen vs. Jackie Chan (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52569) vs. Yuan Woo Ping (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52398) for 2010 in Asia.

ENTERTAINMENT: Striking a balance (http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/20100222222426/Article)
2010/02/22

WENDY WONG
It may be a martial arts movie but 14 Blades also focuses on other factors, especially human ones, writes WENDY WONG.
FILMED at the Hengdian World Film Studio and in the NingXia desert in China, the Chinese martial arts film 14 Blades (now playing in cinemas nationwide) took 2½ months to film. Director Daniel Lee said the biggest challenge in making the movie was finding a suitable location. “Not many locations in China still have the ancient city look,” he said during an interview in Kuala Lumpur recently, where he was joined by his main star Wu Chun (a member of Taiwanese pop group Fahrenheit) to promote the movie.

The movie was released by RAM Entertainment and PMP Entertainment in conjunction with Chinese New Year and is available in Mandarin and Cantonese.

“A big part of the budget went to re-creating the locations,” Lee said, adding that he heard of the story when he was young and did a lot of research into it.

To Lee, the film is a “world movie” because the characters travel from one place to another, starting from Peking. To stay true to the story, he cast different nationalities as extras. “This is a movie, not a documentary. I want to bring the essence of other issues especially human factors into the story. I believe I have managed to strike a balance here. If you dwell too much into the facts and history, it will become more like a documentary,” said Lee.

When asked about the rationale of promoting this movie as a Chinese New Year movie despite its blood and gore elements, Lee said: “In this movie, Donnie Yen is a bad guy who turns good. Sure, we show a lot of blood but it is a story about hope. We must accept that there is still justice in the world and the action sequence is just a small element in bringing out the essence of human factor.” What's next for him? Lee said he wanted to do another action film. “The market is not that bad, so I would love to do another movie like this one, something entertaining that also allows me to share my point of view on the beauty of humanity.” Meanwhile, 14 Blades is likely to be released in Korea and Japan with subsequent distributing deals being negotiated to have it released in Germany, England, France, Australia “and hopefully America”.

“I play a character known as the Judge (Pan Guan). As a child, he watched his parents being killed by the ‘Jinyiwei’ (Brocade-Clad Guard). These guards can kill innocent people on instruction and the only rule they follow is from the Emperor. So to look for a better world, he ended up helping Donnie Yen (Qing Long) fight for righteousness, said Wu Chun.

When asked if he did the stunts himself, Wu Chun said: “Almost 100 per cent — I was injured many times!” One action sequence almost left Chun with a serious injury. “I was so close to being hurt. I was supposed to shoot an arrow laden with explosives but it exploded before the scheduled seven seconds, right before my eyes!" He said the most difficult part of the movie was the fight scenes in the desert. “It was very hot and windy and when the wind blew, the sand got into my eyes and mouth." However, on the whole, Chun was thankful for the experience. “It was a very good stepping stone and valuable experience for me. I would love to act in similar movies in future because it allows me to portray a different side of my real self.” How did he prepare for the role? “Lee and I went through the script many times so that we could study the character. I also had to undergo two months of martial arts training.” When asked about the fight scenes with Donnie Yen, Chun said: “I felt pressured and excited at the same time. We rehearsed many times before the actual shooting.” Some critics draw comparison of his character to that of Johnny Depp’s Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean.

“I have not seen that movie. I think it was not Lee’s intention to copy the character,” he said, adding that he enjoys acting in martial arts movies and romantic dramas.

Qi feels the passion in 14 Blades (http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100204-0000103/Qi-feels-the-passion-in-14-Blades)
Updated 10:52 AM Feb 04, 2010
SINGAPORE - Loyalty, chivalry and brotherhood are the themes found in the blockbuster movie 14 Blades, which opens today in Singapore and China.

The movie is MediaCorp's Raintree Pictures second co-production in China after last year's Painted Skin. It features Hong Kong actor Donnie Yen in the lead, as well as MediaCorp artiste Qi Yu Wu.

To prepare for his role, Mr Qi went to Hengdian in China for three weeks before production started.

There he did "action training" as well as horse-riding.

Mr Qi said the movie was a very good experience because he was working with a lot of passionate people.

"I feel everyone is trying their best and (co stars) Donnie, Zhao Wei and Wu Chun ... are very passionate. They want to do 110 per cent to 120 per cent, so I needed to push myself to be the best."

Mr Qi also acted alongside Yen in Painted Skin.

A movie showcasing martial arts, 14 Blades is set in the Ming Dynasty and tells the story of a secret agent in ancient China. It was shot in Hengdian in Zhejiang province as well as in Ningxia province.

The title refers to the blades bodyguards used to kill their victims - eight for torturing, five for killing and the last for suicide should their mission fail.

It had a budget of almost US$15 million ($21 million) and was helmed by Hong Kong director Daniel Lee.

The hope is that 14 Blades will be able to reap in more than US$30 million in takings in China. Glenda Chong

SPJ
02-26-2010, 03:26 PM
bought the DVD.

do not like yen's tattoo

but like the rest.

especially the gadgets box of blades and somthing to pull himself up to the roof--

a loner and zhao wei warmed him up.---

:cool:

GeneChing
03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Donnie, Donnie, Donnie....:rolleyes:

Sat, Feb 13, 2010
The Daily Chilli
Donnie Yen: I'm good in bedroom kungfu (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20100213-198471.html)
By Noorsila Abd Majid

You heard it from the horse's mouth. Hunkalicious Hong Kong kungfu star, Donnie Yen told top Taiwanese TV host, Matilda Tao -- in a tongue-in-cheek interview -- that he's better in bed than in kungfu.

Oh yes, his missus couldn't agree more.

"I dare not call myself the king of kungfu," Donnie said humbly about his mastery kungfu skills. "But I am the king of bedroom kungfu."

The 47-year-old wu shu and tai chi exponent, who trained under Jet Li's kungfu master, Wu Bin, is currently riding high on his latest martial arts flick, 14 Blades. (The period drama also stars Vicky Zhao Wei and Wu Chun)

Well, Donnie's wife, Cissy Wang, who was with him during the interview attested to his statement. "No complaints," the model gave her personal assurance.

It turns out that Donnie prefers to rest on his wife whenever he sustains any injury on his film set. How romantic.

"My wife is the best pillow for me," the cheeky actor/martial arts choreographer revealed. "I tend to hurt myself a lot as a martial arts artiste. But all my pain is gone when I'm with her."

doug maverick
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
idk....donnie tends to exagerate just like he said that garbage excuse for a park kour running scene in B&A was better then the scene in casino royal. so to donnie i say:rolleyes:

GeneChing
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
SPJ - did you watch that DVD? How was it? No spoilers now... ;)

14 Blades -- Film Review (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/14-blades-film-review-1004077439.story)
By Maggie Lee, March 22, 2010 03:42 ET
"14 Blades"
Bottom Line: A traditional martial arts thriller beefed up by gimmicky weaponry.
HONG KONG -- After playing fast and loose with literature and history in "Three Kingdoms -- Resurrection of the Dragon," Daniel Lee's "14 Blades" is more grounded in the traditions of Hong Kong swordplay films. The subject is familiar to fans of this genre -- the mysterious Ming Dynasty secret service and one renegade member's fate. Its stylishly retro touch and flashy sets and stunts makes a nice package for Asian release and action-specialist DVD labels.

The prologue gives chilling explanation of Jingyiwei, or Brocade Guards, formed in the Ming Dynasty as the Emperor's personal henchmen. Its chief, Qinglong (Donnie Yen), is framed by Head Eunuch Jia in a conspiracy to steal the Imperial Seal and usurp the throne. Hounded by his brethren, led by ruthless junior Xuan Wu (Qi Yu Wu), Qinglong goes on the run and hires civilian guards to escort him to the border. On the way, he gets intimate with Qiao Hua (Vicky Zhao), a guard whom he takes hostage, and bonds with Judge (Chun Wu) and his bandit gang. For honor's sake, he faces down Tuo Tuo (Kate Tsui), the exotic striptease assassin.

Drawing on the prowess of Donnie Yen, the first 35 minutes of gimmick-free martial arts revives the sinewy action aesthetics of '70s Shaw Brothers classics. The swarthy, under-lit interiors, ornate but black or navy costumes and grainy, yellowish image texture evoke a secretive, ominous atmosphere that channels the political intrigue in King Hu's works. Supporting roles by '80s action heavyweights Sammo Hung, Wu Ma and Chu Tiet Wo enhance the nostalgic flavor.

The cat-and-mouse chase begins to lose its grip as the conspiracy gets too convoluted and gratuitous attempts to supplement direct combat with technical gimmicks like explosions and Western firearms. The switch to a desert location and the appearance of boy band idol Wu's cartoon-like Judge, in costumes copied from "Pirates of the Caribbean," threatens to dispel the menacing air and degenerate into a silly chow-mien Western.

It would have ended a mediocre film if not for the inventively designed and utilized weaponry (especially the titular 14 blades with different functions) -- a cool homage to action master Chang Cheh's Freundian, fetishistic use of weapons.

More Filmart coverage
A duel between Xuan Wu and two bare-chested Jinyiwei who brandish giant, rectangular blades while being chained to posts, is shot with stark, savage manliness. Conversely, the mirage effect of Tuo Tuo's undressing her seven-layered robe and swinging her snake-like whip evokes risque femininity.

The backbone of the story is Qinglong's tragedy of growing up with no individual identity except as a body weapon, exacerbated by his sense of betrayal by the organization that paradoxically endowed him with a sense of honor. This is handled convincingly both by Lee's consistent characterization, and Yen's solemn performance. Seldom expressive in his acting, Yen's stiff and steely demeanor actually works to his role's favor. The love interest with Qiaohua is lame, especially with Zhao sleepwalking through another typecast role as playful, tomboyish heroine.

Opened: Hong Kong, Feb. 11
Production: Visualizer Film Prods., Shanghai Film Group Corporation, Desen International Media Co Ltd.
Cast: Donnie Yen, Vicky Zhao, Kate Tsui, Chun Woo, Qi Yu Wu
Director-screenwriter-production designer: Daniel Lee
Screenwriter: Abe Kwong
Producer: Susanna Tsang
Director of photography: Tong Cheung Tung Leung
Music: Henry Lai
Sales: Panasia Films Limited (Hong Kong distribution)
No rating, 113 minutes

ghostexorcist
05-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I just recently bought it on DVD via Ebay. I would have gotten it sooner, but I totally forgot about the movie until last week.

Overall, it was an ok movie. It went really fast in the beginning and was a tad bit hard to follow. Then it went really slow from the middle till the end. It got really cheesy with the introduction of the Heavenly Eagle bandits. They reminded me of something that would appear in manga with their stand out look and weapons from the rest of everybody else. For instance, the leader--the "Judge of the desert"--was a girlish-looking fellow with a half buttoned shirt (at the top), dreadlocks, and twin scimitars that he could join together to make a sort of Krull-like boomerang. There was even the typical big character forever resting a large saber on his shoulder.

Tou Tou, the adopted daughter of the Imperial Uncle was by far the most annoying character. She was able to defeat even the greatest fighters by shedding off layers of her clothing that magically danced in the air as she ran around the room whipping them with a snake-like whip that could turn rigid into a spear. I will admit, though, she was a delicious little thing.

Vicki Zhao, as always, looked cute as a button. It's been a while since I've seen her in anything. I noticed that she had her teeth done. They are very straight and blazing white.

Donnie Yen was his usual badass self. I loved the parts where he would fight the newer Jinyiwei military police recruits and then snicker when they attacked him with the very same formations that he had created as the former captain and trainer of their organization. I definitely liked the idea of the the box full of 14 blades. All Donnie had to do was slap it and a blade would pop out for him to literally twirl around like a lawn mower blade (and that is exactly what he did, mow people down). It even had wires that shot out, which allowed him to scale cities walls in a second.

Now that I think about it, the sword in the box thing reminds me of the "Golden Snake Man" character from the Sword Stained with Royal Blood movie with Yuen Biao. I'm pretty sure that was an adaption of one of Jin Yong's novels.

SPJ
05-31-2010, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ts3tHR5TMM&feature=related

some of characters are cheezy.

the theme song is not my liking either.

I am in good terms with several chinese bookstores locally.

they usually give me a ring whenever a new CMA movie arrives from Taiwan or China.

I have tons of CMA movies vcd/DVD in my garage.

:)

SPJ
05-31-2010, 08:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyP4hVK1W4&feature=related

house of flying daggers

there is much better music.

the costumes are more accurate to the time

sui tang dynasties that is.

si mian mai fu is a classic in so many ways.

SPJ
05-31-2010, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hLQ3tP4_A8&feature=related

opera grade.

GeneChing
08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I still haven't seen this film. I saw a few scenes at Legends of Kung Fu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56851) from a DVD vendor who was showing clips and it looked interesting.

Teng's 'OMG culprit' is kung-fu movie character (http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/politics/pakatan-rakyat/9136-omg-culprit-is-movie-character)
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:51
By Teoh El Sen

PETALING JAYA: Who is the man in the "OMG! Real culprit freed" tweet? Selangor state legislative assembly speaker Teng Chang Khim revealed that it was a character in a "kung fu" movie.

Teng told this to the DAP disciplinary committee hearing.

After the 45-minutes hearing, Teng told reporters that the committee had accepted his explanation.

"It was a coincidence; unfortunately it fit well with the situation at the time," he said at the DAP headquarters here today.

Explaining, Teng said he told the committee that the "culprit" in his tweet was a villain in the Chinese movie "14 blades".

The villain, a guard played by Qi Yuwu, had apparently betrayed the main character, a chief imperial "jin yi wei" guard, played by Donnie Yen.

Teng said on the night of July 31, he had watched parts of the movie in his car during a long journey travelling between two events.

He posted the tweet about his disappointment that the "bad guy" got away after watching the movie half-way.

"Anti-climatic, right? Don't hold me responsible on what the media has written. It's not my fault that you have speculated so much. It's your fault," Teng said.

'We are comrades'

To confirm his story, Teng brought written testimonials from four witnesses, including his driver and the people who saw him at the two PKR and DAP functions in Batu Pahat and Yong Peng respectively.

Asked if he knew about the Tee Boon Hock verdict when he tweeted, he said he knew but added that he could not expect to know that people would misinterpret his tweet.

(Tee, Selangor DAP secretary, was sacked for allegedly issuing several letters of support using Ronnie Liu's letterhead.)

Asked why he took so long to reveal the truth, Teng said he had no choice as the disciplinary committee had called him.

On his subsequent tweet hinting the end of his political career, Teng said he was referring to the "letter of support" episode and not his tweet, which was a "small matter".

Asked of his relationship with Tan Kok Wai (the disciplinary committee chairman), Teng said he had arguments with Tan but on issues.

On allegations of his rocky relationship with Liu, Teng said:"I think that's common knowledge. To say our relationship is very good, I'd be lying. But for leaders to not see eye to eye because of our different styles is normal. If I agree with everyone, I am not fit to be a leader. But we are comrades and we work together."

At Press time, the DAP disciplinary committee had not heard from Liu.

jethro
08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I was disappointed with this. It starts off ultra dark and I was really into it, but after about 10 minutes it starts to let down. The fight with Chen Kuan tai was pretty cool. Actually that whole scene was nice, but not really any other stand out scenes for me. I didn't like the main female villain. She's super hot, but I hate the way her fight scenes look. The final fight was a major letdown. I was glad when it was over.

Not a terrible movie, but I give it a 6/10 rating at best.

GeneChing
10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
An opulent wuxia, great sets, great costumes, great real and CGI landscapes. Cameos from Sammo Hung and Chan Koon Tai. Donnie is a cold-blooded assassin, trained from birth, who carries around a box like Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu. This box is a mechanized box o' blades: swords, daggers, darts with lines, spring-loaded quarrels. Zhao Wei looks like an anime heroine with those huge eyes - and there are plenty of scenes where she demonstrates her uncanny ability to tear up those peepers with complete control of her ducts to deliver maximum impact. What can I say? I've been crushing on Zhao Wei since she was the goalie in Shaolin Soccer (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46486). There's another actor who I have to look up that wields double scimitars that attached together at the pommels for an S-shaped boomerang. He rocks a Capt. Jack Sparrow bandana with cornrows and dreadlocks. And there's a great villainess, who I also must look up, who has metal coiled into her braids like medusa and wields this weird bladed chain whip weapon. She does this weird hypno-trick when she fights where she slips out of her clothes, leaving her opponents to stab empty floating robes - it's a nice CGI effect, although not titillating in the way one might anticipate. There are plenty other colorful swordsmen too, plenty more to get minced up by Donnie and his box of blades. Which brings me to the main point here. Sword fights, sword fights, sword fights. Lots of 'em. This film serves them up hot and keeps them coming. Fun ones too, with lots of flying about, crazy cuts, and chopping through thick wood support columns. Very satisfying in the sword fight dept.

doug maverick
11-20-2011, 05:03 PM
finally finished watching it, i gotta say i liked it...i mean in a way it was typical fanfare wuxia. but what made me really like it was the box with swords, very desperado. i remember when i was in film school i did a short film about a hit man who had a coffin filled with assorted weapons...i still have the footage in my freezer actually, so there was some nostalgia!! i had a donnie yen marathon i watched this, wuxia and lost bladesmen...wuxia was on another level...lost bladesmen im having a hard time getting through.