PDA

View Full Version : Speed Drills?

Drake
05-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Anybody know of any good speed drills for CLF? If anything maybe even identify a segment of a form that would be good. Right now I mess around with a biu jong from a retreating stance, swing around to a din ji ma and a gwa choi -> kup choi and then step off into a biu jong from the say ping ma (from the second half of GM DFWs version of Ng Lun Chui). However, this man needs some variety.

Not everything is meant to be fast and I'm looking for the stuff that is. :D

Eddie
05-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Three words, ji ben gong (基本 功 – Gei boon gung)

Lately, I’ve been watching allot how these Wushu taolu guys practice. Guess there is no substitute for repetition.

I know so many of you will now come up to make some wise comment about the difference between Taolu and fighting drills etc, but basics can refer to anything. Boxers get faster by doing basic punches every day. Runners get faster by doing the same thing.

Plain and simple really.

Violent Designs
05-03-2009, 01:47 AM
hav eyou trieded the speed babg?

goju
05-10-2009, 09:41 AM
im not a choy lay fut guy but i have somethings that can help
the best excerices me do in goju ryu for speed
is to hold a dumbell or a stone padlock or kettle bell etc etc in your hands and pratice your punches while holding them
make sure with your strikes dont fully extend you strike while holding a weight or youll damage your elbow as well
also you can do a reflex drill we have in goju rytu wher your partner trys to touch you quicklya lightly on the head and body and you try to block it this builds good speed as well

good luck

Lee Chiang Po
05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I am not familiar with your form of gung fu, but speed training is pretty much a necessity with any form I would imagine. To gain arm speed I once used a stap with lead shot sewed in it to wrap around my wrists and just above my elbow. This was cumbersome and took some getting used to, but it also increased my arm strength and speed. I did the same with kicks. Weight around the ankles, but not above the knee. While wearing these things I would do repetiteous moves. Mostly I would do hand striking techniques one behind another. This not only developed my accuracy, but as the weights came off my arms were very fast in striking. My legs gained much strength and speed as well.
Sometimes however, speed is not so greatly important as fluid motion. If you can move from one technique to the next with balance and focus with no jerking motions, you are moving like water and will be difficult to stop. When learning a form, one should take that form and break it up into tiny segments, then take each tiny segment and do it over and over and over until he can do it flawlessly. Then he can move to the next tiny segment. Over and over until each segment is learned and performed flawlessly. Linking them together as they are perfected until the entire form is flawless. Without effort you will move like water in the performance of said form and this will equate to speed.

David Jamieson
05-11-2009, 05:45 AM
I am not familiar with your form of gung fu, but speed training is pretty much a necessity with any form I would imagine. To gain arm speed I once used a stap with lead shot sewed in it to wrap around my wrists and just above my elbow. This was cumbersome and took some getting used to, but it also increased my arm strength and speed. I did the same with kicks. Weight around the ankles, but not above the knee. While wearing these things I would do repetiteous moves. Mostly I would do hand striking techniques one behind another. This not only developed my accuracy, but as the weights came off my arms were very fast in striking. My legs gained much strength and speed as well.
Sometimes however, speed is not so greatly important as fluid motion. If you can move from one technique to the next with balance and focus with no jerking motions, you are moving like water and will be difficult to stop. When learning a form, one should take that form and break it up into tiny segments, then take each tiny segment and do it over and over and over until he can do it flawlessly. Then he can move to the next tiny segment. Over and over until each segment is learned and performed flawlessly. Linking them together as they are perfected until the entire form is flawless. Without effort you will move like water in the performance of said form and this will equate to speed.

You sir, win the banana. :)