PDA

View Full Version : seven star mantis sparring sessions in manhattan

magnatron
03-03-2001, 02:07 AM
this goes out to all who would like to learn how to apply your systems against other styles of martial arts. if you are interested let me know we are not trying to prove who is better but rather trying to learn from each other in the spirit of unity and friendship.what we do is get together and sparr and see how our systems cope with each others styles in a friendly way. all are welcome grapplers thais karate boxers gung fu whatever. if you are in the new york city area and would like to check it out then let me know my email is barneygoogles@webtv.net :)

I AM THE SEEKER OF LOST SOULS

JJMantis
03-03-2001, 08:12 PM
Not a bad idea, or a new one. I hope it works out for you. Just realize that when you mix martial arts in copetition, the rules usually end up favoring someone. For example, I grappled against a wrestler to learn from him. Sure, he shot for my leg and took me down fast. But he was in my guard and I was in control until he submit. When I suggested we train again, he complained that he didn't want to go to submission, only a pin. Anyway, like I said, I hope you can learn something. There was a web site I went to one time where people posted ads nationwide for sparring partners. I'll look for it again.

magnatron
03-05-2001, 04:14 AM
the rules are if your a wrestler then wrestle if your a thai boxer then do your thing gung fu man then do your thing also whatever it is that you do . the only thing is that we are not doing it in order to hurt someone but just to learn from each other that way we all better our selfs.heck after the practice sessions dinners on us.and by the way for all you that are thinking no way man ! i dont want to get my face all bashed in,do not worry it is light contact like i said its just so that we can see our respective differences and learn to cope with them thus making each ones respective system better. not to mention the person within.

Paul Skrypichayko
03-05-2001, 08:05 AM
Excellent thing you guys have got going. If I was in NYC I'd give it a try. Maybe I'll try and do the same thing with some of the local martial artists in my city. Thanks

JJMantis
03-05-2001, 03:56 PM
Here is the site I mentioned. Looks like it needs updating, though:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3029/boxing.html

Vertiggo
03-06-2001, 08:37 AM
Hey Barney G,

What's the verdict? We exchanged emails a while ago...I used to train with Raymond Nelson, along with Jerry (or did he spell it Gerry???) and another friend nicknamed Chukie (do you remember him?).

Anyways, this seems like a cool idea. In fact, I met with Gerry and Chukie a couple of weeks ago and we were laughing about old times visiting & challenging (friendly sparring) other schools. Where is this place held at? I'm pretty sure Chukie would be interested in checking it out as he returned from Thailand having trained for the past several years in Muay Thai. As for Gerry, he's a successful entrepreneur these days and his focus in on making $$$, but I'll talk to him about it just the same.

magnatron
03-07-2001, 06:26 PM
the sparring sessions are with ray and i know chukie and gerry from way back so email me so that i can give you further details

Vertiggo
03-08-2001, 02:12 PM
Just heard from Chuckie. The message is thus -

"Tell Raymond that 'Iron Legs' & 'Steel Mantis' are coming and...

we're bringing our school banner."