PDA

View Full Version : How Bruce Lee Changed the World

GeneChing
05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Coming to the History Channel on May 17th. I've seen a screener and it's very good.

HOW BRUCE LEE CHANGED THE WORLD (http://www.pitchengine.com/history/how-bruce-lee-changed-the-world/10753/)
It’s been more than thirty-five years since the death of the man collectively hailed as the king of martial arts movies. A man who single handedly changed the stereotype of Asian characters in film, and who died before seeing the impact he created...

05.06.2009 – Bruce Lee is universally recognized for prying open the doors of ancient Chinese martial arts to the mass market— defining a moment in an era when “everybody was kung fu fighting.” The history of Lee’s life, and death at the age of only 32, is shrouded in mystery, but his influence on popular culture continues to be felt today. HISTORY™ presents a special two-hour exploration of the Bruce Lee phenomenon. HOW BRUCE LEE CHANGED THE WORLD premieres Sunday, May 17 at 8pm ET on HISTORY™.

HOW BRUCE LEE CHANGED THE WORLD takes a detailed and unique look into Lee’s legacy— revealing the story of his rise from the backstreets of Hong Kong, while documenting Lee’s qualities, both physical and philosophical, that drove him to international stardom. More than just a biography, this special pieces together rare family archival footage owned by the Bruce Lee Foundation, together with in-depth interviews with individuals who have cited inspiration from Lee.

Bruce Lee is known as one of the greatest martial artists of all time. His commitment to a principled approach of training, and an unparalleled skill and proficiency in all martial arts disciplines, resulted in the creation of one of the greatest physiques in modern history.
He was able to perform superhuman physical feats that have yet to be equaled, such as a two fingered push-up and a lethal blow called the one-inch punch, and was the first person to use kung fu skills on screen without the aid of special effects.

Since his death, Lee has been recognized as a visionary who changed not just action movies and martial arts, but an icon that created this very simple image that is endlessly reproducible to this day. From his role as Kato on television’s “Green Hornet” to his groundbreaking debut film “Enter the Dragon,” Lee blew up the stereotype of how Asian characters would be portrayed on screen forever. With no one able to fill the void after his death, a rash of Bruce Lee look-alikes and copycat films emerged inspiring a whole new film genre.

A cinematic journey, this special takes the viewer across the US, Asia and Europe exploring Lee’s influence on popular culture worldwide— even joining Shannon Lee on a trip back to her father’s roots in Hong Kong; nearly fifty years after Lee arrived to make his first kung fu film. HOW BRUCE LEE CHANGED THE WORLD also features in-depth interviews with actor Jackie Chan, comedian Eddie Griffin, rappers LL Cool J and RZA, Marvel Comics' Stan Lee, and renowned film directors John Woo and Brett Ratner among others. Lee’s friend and business partner famed Hong Kong film producer, Raymond Chow gives a rare interview.

HOW BRUCE LEE CHANGED THE WORLD is co-produced for HISTORY by Waddell Media and LeeWay Productions. Dirk Hoogstra and Paul Cabana are executive producers for HISTORY. Executive producer for Waddell Media is Jon-Barrie Waddell. Shannon Lee is executive producer for LeeWay.

More to come on this next week. ;)

Lucas
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
how will people with out that tv channel see this? will it be on the internet or anything?

Jimbo
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
This sounds good, I'll have to see it.

Although I know there are others who could/can do the 1-inch punch and one-handed 2-finger push-ups.

GeneChing
05-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Shannon Lee on HOW BRUCE LEE CHANGED THE WORLD (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=821) - my interview with Bruce Lee's daughter, Shannon Lee.

Jimbo
05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Great interview with Shannon, Gene.

I watched How Bruce Lee Changed the World, and liked it a lot. It gave a fairly well-rounded approach, and in a way that hasn't really been done before. One of the most interesting parts for me was when Shannon went to Bruce's ancestral hometown in China. I got the impression (don't know if it's accurate) that there's a bit of a BL craze in China, amazing since he died 36 years ago. And Shannon seems like such a positive force.

Before I watched it, I was wondering why guys like L.L. Cool J. would be included in the interviews. But I started to think that, although everyone's familiar with the BL yells, nunchaku, etc., someone like L.L. Cool J. would offer a perspective of him to a generation that may not really be familiar with BL's real influence. About ten years ago, it was noted that a lot of young people in the U.S. did not even know who Muhammad Ali was, even though only 20 years previous he was one of, of not the, most recognized men in the world.

I liked how his influence was shown in areas outside of martial arts, by his philosophical approach, such as music (hip-hop and classical), dance, athletics, etc. That, IMO, is true JKD, even more than just practicing the same moves that BL practiced or performed at a certain point in his lifetime.

GeneChing
05-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Bruce just went Blu-Ray

Bruce Lee hits Blu-ray Disc (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/world/news/e3i4e9a6c684b313de0137388557bb9f5dc)
Chan, Li classics also set for June release
By Karen Chu

May 15, 2009, 12:25 PM ET
HONG KONG -- Four Bruce Lee titles will be released on high-definition Blu-ray Disc for the first time through a deal between Star and Kam & Ronson Enterprise that Star announced Friday.

Star subsidiary Fortune Star has licensed the four Bruce Lee titles: “The Big Boss”; “The Way of the Dragon”; “Enter the Dragon”; and “Fist of Fury," to Hong Kong-based distributor Kam & Ronson in Hong Kong and Macau from its Fortune Star Chinese film and television library, which includes classics from Golden Harvest, Golden Princess and D&B. The Blu-ray discs will also be available in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand through undisclosed distributors.

The Blu-ray Disc deal will also include Jackie Chan’s “Police Story” parts one through three, and Tsui Hark’s Jet Li starrer “Once Upon a Time in China” parts one through three. The titles are all slated for June release.

Lucas
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
ya gene, that was a great interview.

the point about how people seem to lose sight of the man bruce lee is huge.

for big and small, those turning him into a super man, as well as those who take away from what he did and was doing.

not many people make as large of a positive impact on the world that bruce lee did.

its just not done that often.

i think that in itself is such a note worthy accomplishment for one person to achieve.

GeneChing
05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
There more follow up on LeeWay.

Daughter honors her father (http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2009-05-10-59074.113116_Daughter_honors_her_father.html)
By Melody Hanatani
May 11, 2009

DOWNTOWN — Her name is Shannon Lee but many might know her as Bruce Lee's daughter.

And she doesn't really mind that facet of her identity one bit.

Yet Lee, 40, is making her own claim to fame in the entertainment industry, founding a new production company — Leeway Media — in July 2008 and celebrating its first major project in the United States, a documentary about her legendary father, titled, "How Bruce Lee Changed the World."

"It's not your straight bio," Lee said from her Santa Monica office on Monday. "It's really about what areas Bruce Lee has influenced in terms of our culture today.

"It looks at martial arts, action, filmmaking, fitness and body building."

The film, which will premiere on the History Channel on May 17, was produced by Waddell Media and Leeway Media, which was founded to create content meant to promote both Bruce and his son, Brandon Lee, who died in an accidental shooting on the set of "The Crow" in 1993.

She vividly remembers the day when her mother called in the middle of the night telling her that Brandon Lee had been involved in an accident. The two departed for North Carolina, meeting up in Dallas.

As they traveled throughout the day, the family learned that the actor's condition was worse than originally believed.

By the time the plane touched down in North Carolina, Brandon Lee had died.

Lee said she is starting to work on projects to educate the public about her brother.

The reach that their father had is evident in the Downtown Santa Monica office of Bruce Lee Enterprises, which manages the trademarked brand name of the late actor. Along the walls are old movie posters. Magnets with Lee's famously concentrated stare are scattered on the mini fridge. On the wall of one office are Andy Warhol-esque pictures of Lee, while the common area is occupied by a large cutout of Lee performing a side kick. Posted on the fridge along with the magnets are four block letters spelling out Wren, the name of Shannon's 6-year-old daughter.

"I thought it would be great for people to know how my father had influenced so many different things," Shannon Lee said. "So many know him as an action film star. They don't know how he had to break down barriers of race and tradition to do what he did in such a short time."

Lee and his late son also had a profound impact on Shannon, who has acted, sang and is now getting into the behind-the-scenes portion of the entertainment industry.

"I look at all the messages in my father's philosophies that have help ground me and guide me," she said. "I look at my brother's life and how he was so passionate about acting."

Included in her resume is a singing career. A graduate of Tulane University where she received a degree in vocal performance and music, Lee has performed concerts in Hong Kong, sang on a variety of films and even once landed a demo deal with a subsidiary of Island Records.

For the past few years, Lee's professional focus has been geared toward several projects, including the production company, the licensing of the Bruce Lee name, and the Bruce Lee Foundation which she cofounded in 2002 with her mother, Linda Lee Cadwell. The nonprofit organization is dedicated to perpetuating the Lee legacy in an educational way, holding seminars on martial arts and offering scholarships. The eventual goal of the foundation is to build a museum.

In her regular life, she's Shannon Lee, but when it comes to events and going out in public, she understands that she is the famous martial artist's daughter.

"I think that there was more of a difficulty in terms of feeling like there was some expectation of me from certain people and in certain areas of life," she said. "I try to really hold all of that in a very separate place for myself."

Lee is also working on other projects related to her father, including preparing for the official upcoming launch of BruceLee.com in June and the annual convention hosted by the Bruce Lee Foundation, which is scheduled for November in the Sheraton Universal Hotel.

A number of pieces have come out about Bruce Lee since his death, some good, some sensationalistic, looking to "stir the pot," Lee said.

She remembers the media coverage shortly after her father's last film, "Enter the Dragon," was released, her mother endlessly spending time writing rebuttals to articles in newspapers and magazines about Lee.

"I found she was spending her whole life doing that and not anything else and it was just sucking the energy out of her," Lee said. "The best way for me to combat anything like that is to do my thing and to do what I do and put out the products that I put out."

GeneChing
05-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Discussing the Divine Comedy with Dante (http://cliptank.com/PeopleofInfluencePainting.htm)
Painting by Dai Dudu, Li Tiezi, and Zhang An, 2006, oil on canvas - Image mapping with titles and wikipedia links.
Bruce is in the center, right where he belongs. :cool:

GeneChing
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
So much in the wake of the 36th anniversary of the Dragon's passing. There was the museum announcement (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42950&page=2) and the film announcement (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42430), now this.

From Shannon's 1st blog entry

Day One! (http://brucelee.com/blog/)

Hey, Everyone! Welcome to BRUCELEE.COM!! This is so exciting and a LONG time coming. We have been scrambling like mad to get this site done and launched so excuse any bugs you come across. Also, you should know that this is just phase one of the site. We are just getting started! Sorry it has taken so long to get this to become a reality but it started way back a few years ago with a cyber squatter who had registered the domain and was using it for his own profitability. He didn’t put up a fan site or anything. Anyway, it took us a while to get back from him but we finally did! Then our company went through a few changes and, to make a long story short, we now have the site up! While I’m here, let me thank those who worked their asses off to make this a reality…

Chris Husband* - he was the guiding force behind getting this done. Thank you!

Jeff, Mike, Kai, Maria, and all the crew at Visionaire - you guys rock.

Kris Storti, Alex Stephens, TJ Peters, Sydnie Wilson (*the fearless Bruce Lee Enterprises team) - thank you for your hard work!

So, my blog…..what’s it about? I guess that remains to be seen. I will check in and write about what happens in the world of Bruce Lee and keep you all informed. Forgive me if I get off on any tangents. I can be a little stream of consciousness sometimes, but oh well, it’s a blog. Watcha gonna do? All I can say for today is thank god we got this sucker up! We are a small band of merry makers who love Bruce Lee and who work hard to get it done.

By the way, we have no idea how much activity this site is going to get upon launch so I’m going to apologize right now if we encounter any problems. Let us know what you think about it and what you’d like to see. Let us know if we forgot anything basic or if there are any problems you see. We want your feedback!!

Enjoy BRUCELEE.COM!

I hope you dig it.

Shannon

GeneChing
08-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm curious if there are any extras on the DVD.

Monday, Aug. 24, 2009
DVDs to be released Tuesday (http://www.macon.com/248/story/820115.html)
By JIM CARNES - McClatchy Newspapers

Here's a topic you may not have given a lot of thought to: How Bruce Lee changed the world. A martial-arts actor who made only four films (and only one of them in Hollywood) - how much impact could he have had?

A DVD being released Tuesday may just enlighten you.

The History Channel biography goes a long way toward revealing the real man behind those furious fists and feet. Lee was born in San Francisco and lived only to the age of 32 - his mysterious death, some say, was the result of a curse. He died three weeks before the release of his only U.S. film, "Enter the Dragon."

Though his film output was slim, he made a huge impact on our culture, popularizing Chinese martial arts and influencing such actors and filmmakers as Jackie Chan, John Woo, Chuck Norris and Quentin Tarantino. Rare home movies and seldom-seen interviews from some of those he influenced create a fascinating intimate portrait of the man. "How Bruce Lee Changed the World" has a list price of $19.95 and is not rated.

MightyB
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I clicked the media section and it opens with this video of the famous BL interview with this kick'n bass groove... I'm telling ya', part of his endearment is that he was the quintessential seventies man. I'm basically tuned out for the day and walking with that "scooby doo" strut for the rest of the day just because I was exposed to a mere 30 seconds of Bruce-ilosophy. Sweet... :cool:

yutyeesam
09-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Great interview with Shannon, Gene.

I watched How Bruce Lee Changed the World, and liked it a lot. It gave a fairly well-rounded approach, and in a way that hasn't really been done before. One of the most interesting parts for me was when Shannon went to Bruce's ancestral hometown in China. I got the impression (don't know if it's accurate) that there's a bit of a BL craze in China, amazing since he died 36 years ago. And Shannon seems like such a positive force.

Before I watched it, I was wondering why guys like L.L. Cool J. would be included in the interviews. But I started to think that, although everyone's familiar with the BL yells, nunchaku, etc., someone like L.L. Cool J. would offer a perspective of him to a generation that may not really be familiar with BL's real influence. About ten years ago, it was noted that a lot of young people in the U.S. did not even know who Muhammad Ali was, even though only 20 years previous he was one of, of not the, most recognized men in the world.

I liked how his influence was shown in areas outside of martial arts, by his philosophical approach, such as music (hip-hop and classical), dance, athletics, etc. That, IMO, is true JKD, even more than just practicing the same moves that BL practiced or performed at a certain point in his lifetime.

I really like your perspective on it, as I saw it the same way. I know from a technical standpoint, you can debate this and that as to the merits of what he was practicing, doing, filming, teaching, etc. But his impact is undeniable, and 35 years after his death, he is still very relevant.

The crazy thing is that the younger generation is more familiar with Brandon Lee, as his film The Crow has impacted the goth/emo community like wildfire. Apparently, his tombstone has longer lines than Bruce's!!!

GeneChing
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Too Hot
Previous 10 of 32 Next
Sexiest Men of the '50s, '60s, '70s

Bruce Lee (http://www.life.com/image/3206730/in-gallery/35762)
"He is the patron saint of the cult of the body: the almost mystical belief that we have the power to overcome adversity if only we submit to the right combinations of exercise, diet, meditation and weight training; that by force of will, we can sculpt ourselves into demigods." —from the "TIME 100" list of icons from the past century
I didn't go through the list, but I'm guessing he's the only Asian?

kfson
12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
More than anything(one) else, this man changed the thoughts of the general public in the U.S. about kung fu, buddhism, and Daoism:

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1166720/article_images/cainel.jpg

Before this TV show, kung fu was either Hippy dung or a communist invasion from Peking.

mawali
12-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Let me admit it! I admired Bruce Lee because he brought about a realistic view about Asians aliong with a hands on approach to what we know today as kungfu.

No qi BS, no waving hands and making people fall down or nothing like that.

sanjuro_ronin
12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Let me admit it! I admired Bruce Lee because he brought about a realistic view about Asians aliong with a hands on approach to what we know today as kungfu.

That's cause he didn't have the real kung fu (TM.)

goju
12-21-2009, 03:21 PM
More than anything(one) else, this man changed the thoughts of the general public in the U.S. about kung fu, buddhism, and Daoism:

Before this TV show, kung fu was either Hippy dung or a communist invasion from Peking.

lol really? i always though that show was awful:D including the martial art scenes

kfson
12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
lol really? i always though that show was awful:D including the martial art scenes

You are correct. But, it changed a nation's perception.

Fa Xing
12-21-2009, 03:34 PM

While I agree to an extent; David Carradine would not have even had that role if it weren't for Sijo Bruce Lee.

Lucas
12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
honestly i never saw even one episode of that show and i have a way better grasp of what kungfu is or isnt than your standard non practitioner. but ill still give you the ups on how much he impacted the face of kungfu in america. ALTHOUGH to be honest, it caters to the LARPERS more so than the realistic martial artists.

self education > tv

Skip J.
12-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Actually, that was me back then.... I had an interest in Asia and its many peoples; but did not know any and there were very few Asians in movies or tv.

My "conversion" of the heart was sitting in a movie watching my favorite actor Steve McQueen in the "Sand Pebbles". The ****ed thing broke my heart, and still does 50 years later. Bruce Lee and DC were about the only game in town after that. In the '80's, I bought a used copy of the "Sand Pebbles" and read the book. Oh my.... a very detailed account of troubled times in China and how Westerners were perceived by the "boxer's"..... Very ironic to wind up here I must say...

kfson
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
honestly i never saw even one episode of that show and i have a way better grasp of what kungfu is or isnt than your standard non practitioner. but ill still give you the ups on how much he impacted the face of kungfu in america. ALTHOUGH to be honest, it caters to the LARPERS more so than the realistic martial artists.

self education > tv

Agreed. But, before The Kung Fu series, the only mass respected oriental martial art was Hai, Karate. There was an explosion of interest in the Chinese martial arts, Buddhism, and Taoism, and Bruce Lee during and after the airing. It was a big time of change and we are much better off for the Kung Fu TV series even if and because it was directed to the non martial arts practitioners. Mothers and fathers that grew up in the McCarthy era saw the light and allowed the youngsters to practice real Kung Fu even if it came from a Commy nation. Really, and that's the way it is, good night Huntley, good night Brinkley.

Lucas
12-21-2009, 09:37 PM
i agree completely. a positive reinforcement, if somewhat fanciful, is far better than ignorance.

GeneChing
06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Bruce Lee was an alien.

UFO Spotted in Bruce Lee Doc? (Video) (http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981424012)
June 22, 2012 08:35 PM EDT

A video on YouTube claims to have discovered a UFO flying over Hong Kong harbor during a brief segment in the History Channel documentary, How Bruce Lee Changed The World.

In the segment, replayed several times and slowed to half speed, an unidentified flying object zig zags past the camera in the stock aerial footage of the Hong Kong harbor opera house, shot by a passing helicopter.

As the object flies erratically through the air, it seems to trail some exhaust. It's definitely not a bird, but it's not easy to make out exactly what it could be.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oIU08lGj368/T-UEb0KhF8I/AAAAAAAACZk/wimPDU9_mm8/s1600/bruce+lee+ufo.jpg

Adding the words Bruce Lee to any headline is bound to get some attention, but there seems to be something mysterious about the alleged UFO in the scene.

An enlargement of the object reveals it doesn't look like any known aircraft. It has no wings, no lights no rotors or engines.

So, what is it?

Here's the video:
UFO in Bruce Lee Documentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnNvzWOpayE)