PDA

View Full Version : what's your age and experience ?

SIFU RON
05-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I often wonder how old some of U Guys and Gals are, especially the " Old Posters" around this Forum and how much M/A experience you have. Trolls expose themselves for what they are, besides ;) you guys " Blast Em " right off.

I'm 71 and a few years back I didn't know much about computers, I like em, I enjoy this fourm, it's in reality , a fun place.

Tensei85
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
This isnt online dating is it? j/k

I'm 24 and 16 years experience: trained in quite a few different M/A's
Wing Chun, Tong Long, Bagua, Taiji, Bak Mei, Bei/Nan Shaolin, Tong Bei, Chang Quan, TKD, BJJ, judo, Aikido, Karate (Shotokan), Arnis, some Muay Thai.

And enjoy almost everything.

GreenCloudCLF
05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
This took me back to the old school IRC chat pick-ups...A/S/L?

I feel creepy all over again.

Age is just a number, as is number of years training. I enjoy all aspects of fighting. The one I dislike the most is grappling, which is why I signed up for BJJ recently.

xcakid
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
OK I'll play. Since I've posted this a year ago when I joined on the forum.

I will be 41 in Aug.

Started martial arts at 12 going on 13.

1yr or so of Sil Lum....did not like it much back then.
Move on to study Ralph Castro Shaolin Kempo for 4yrs. I also studied Arnis with my uncle and a friend of his in the same time frame.
Went in the military and all I could find was Tae Kwon Do so I studied that the entire 4yrs I was serving active duty. Attained a 1st Degree Black.
Got out of the military and found another Shoalin Kempo School (Fred Villari) Took that for another 6yrs. In that time frame I also went back to taking Arnis. The Villari school I was at was taken over by United Studios (a McDojo) I stayed until I got my 2nd Degree and could not take it anymore so I left.
I then started taking Ying Jow Pai under Sifu Pat DiBatista (GM Leung Shum lineage). I was there for a little over 2yrs until I changed jobs and work took over my free time.
Took a long hiatus from martial arts until about 2.5yrs ago when I came back. I am now taking Northern Long Fist. At my age I am re-thinking my love for hard contact sparring though. Going to transition to being a forms dancer and taiji enthusiast. :D Can't seem to recover as fast when I have injuries.

There's my martial arts career in a nutshell.

Oh let me add, that the more I learn, the more I see how much I suck.

WinterPalm
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm 26.

Been training for just over 9 years.
-3 Months CLF/Savate
-2 Months Boxing
-1 Year Tai Chi (2-3 hours every single day)
-5 Months Wushu
-4 Months Wing Chun/Xing Yi
-6 Years Black Tiger
-8 Months Judo
-1 Year BJJ
-3 Years strong focus on San Shou/San Da

And a smattering of seminars and training with different wrestlers and Thai boxers.
A smidgen of Praying Mantis

Obviously there is some overlap with much of that stuff and I would say that I got the most out of Tai Chi, Black Tiger, San Shou, and BJJ. Those have really helped me develop but it was the Tai Chi that gave me the base of understanding movement that has played the biggest factor in my ongoing enjoyment of the martial arts.

BJJ 0-2
Judo 1-2 (Silver Medal)
San Shou 5-1 (1) (International Silver and Gold)

golden arhat
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
i'm 18 and been doing various different MA for abotu 12 years now

golden arhat
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
how many years trained doesnt really equate years "involved!" with the MA

David Jamieson
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm 45 and have been involved with one ma or another for 30+ years now.

I like to think of myself as refreshingly immature for the most part.
:p

WinterPalm
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah, I like long walks on the beach and taking in some classical music after a long day of volunteer work down at the local shooting gallery.

Lucas
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
29years old. started to seriously persue martial arts just over 9 years ago. I dabbled before that but was never dedicated.

doug maverick
05-07-2009, 01:22 PM
i'm 25 and have been training for 20 years;

aikido(from my mother for one year)

shotokan,

tak kwon do;

lung ying kuen

hung ga;

bak siu lum

bagua zhang

xing yi chuan.

David Jamieson
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM
oops, I didn't realize this was a J-Date post.

I can't really put up a profile or John Edwards' ex-girlfriend will get upset seeing as she is the babymomma. Never mind the problems my wife would have with it.

MightyB
05-07-2009, 01:36 PM
34 1/2

Praying Mantis since 1992 under Sifu Henry Chung
USJF Judo since 2005, Konan Association, Tsutomoru Judo Club

Water Dragon
05-07-2009, 03:08 PM
OK, I'll list mine.

Trained in Tai Chi from 1995-2003. Trained under Charles Pearce for my first three years at IU, then worked under Shawn Parkes til '03. Got a chance to do a lot of work with William C.C. Chen, Dr. Tao Ping-Siang, and Nathan Menaged.

Trained from 1999-2005 under Joe Judt (Hi Joe!) He taught me mostly Shuai Chiao, along with a smattering of stuff from Kun Tao, Southern Mantis, and Hsing Yi. Did most of my work under his senior student, Myoung-Jae Im, but got to work with the man directly a lot more toward the end.

Trained from 2002-2005 with Miguel Torres (current WEC world featherweight champ) learning mostly BJJ, Muay Thai and Boxing. I also did BJJ under Dino Costeas for about 9 months back in '99.

I've been doing Judo since 2004 under Rene Zeelenberg in San Antonio and currently hold the rank of San Kyu (3rd brown).

All in all, I've been pretty d@mn lucky in that I've always been able to find quality training under world class teachers. I've been really priveleged in that.

-edit-

Oh yeah, I'm 35

TenTigers
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM
going on 52.
Been studying since I was 15 yrs old.
Northern Shaolin
Ji Do Kwan TKD and Hapkido
Bak Mei P'ai
Wing Chun
Hakko-Ryu Jiu-Jutsu
Tang Soo Do(Moo Duk Kwan)
Kempo (Tracy's and Villari's)
Kyokushin(Seido)
Choy Li fut
Hung-Ga (Lam Sai-Wing, Tang Fong, and Village style)
Southern Mantis(KwangSai Jook Lum Ji Nam Tong Long P'ai-Lum Wing-Fei lineage)
Yang Style Tai-Chi
Chiang Jung Chiao Pa Kua
Sayoc Kali
Pekita Tirsia
Bujinkan Ninpo Taijutsu
Mohnguo Seut-Gohk(Mongolian Shuai-Jiao)

it may seem like alot, but some, like Pa Kua was only a smattering, others I trained on alternate days-i.e. Mon,Wed, Thurs, Tang Soo Do, Fri and Sun-Wing Chun, Saturdays-Kempo,
Now I train my Hung-Ga and SPM, and SJ on alternate days, but every day I practice forms, lien gung, drills,etc.

gwa sow
05-07-2009, 05:54 PM
30 yrs old
choy lay fut 10 yrs

Laukarbo
05-07-2009, 06:51 PM
39 soon...

-started judo with 6
-karate with 10
-southern chinese mix of kung with 14
this kung fu club was part of a big sport association
so if you were a member of this association u could join any of
sports offred..so I also trained with the boxers
-with 19 had my first hung gar teacher Li Wai Siong
-With 31 started learning from Mark Houghton up until now,also hung kuen
-since 2008 also learning from Ng Bing Kuen his Iron wire
-taking further training under Lam Sik Chiu sifu, hes my sigungs kung fu brother...

also since 2007 Ng jou kuen and chinese wrestling under Sifu Henry Lo..

thats it:D

SPJ
05-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I am 48 this year.

Practicing some northern styles since 1970s.

:)

SIFU RON
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
I stared at 17 ( Jiu Jitsu 1955) K/F 1958 and never looked back.

Thanks everyone, it's nice to be among you folks, my very best to all of you.

Ron Shewmaker

banditshaw
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
35 Years Young.
My Grandfather taught me some very rudimentary Boxing hands when I was very young and and joined a Judo club for a short while around 7 years old.

Started TKD at age 12 for 6 months

Did a form of Northern Wu Shu (old style)? with a Chinese instructor for 6 months at age 13.

Started Hung Gar Kuen/Tiger and Crane+CLF under Master Buck Sam Kong in 1996.... stopped training due to work related injury and other factors in 99.... resumed with my Sifu(BSK) in 2005 and have been training and trying to improve since then.

SIFU RON
05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
GM Buck Sam Kong, I met him on 10/14/2006 at the Martail Arts History Museum when he was induced into the Hall of Fame, saw him their another time also, a great Sifu and an excellent person. His colleagues are just like him, fine people.
I was their as my Sifu GM Ark Yuey Wong was also inducted that day.

Thank you much.

wetwonder
05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm of course unworthy. Dreamed about learning for 40 years. Started at 46, 5 months ago with Hung Gar. Through first form and now learning 4-part two person self defense. My forarms, just above each wrist, are very swollen tonight.

TenTigers
05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
nope, not unworthy. You are part of the brethren. I am right there with ya, bro.

wetwonder
05-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh Ten, I did recently meet Jerry Battle. He'd taken off for an injury I think so hadn't been around. He is very fast.

Wood Dragon
05-07-2009, 11:17 PM
30, a few weeks ago.

I've been training for 18 years.

In chronological order:

JKA Shotokan, for 3 years.

IKF-1 Kyokushinkai, 6 years. Still train and compete.

Kodokan Judo, 4 years (started while I was also training Kyokushin). Still train and compete.

Daido Juku (Kudo), the last 9 years. Still train and compete.

Modern Army Combatives, since 2003 (LINE, prior to that, briefly). Level III Instructor. Oversee instruction on a daily/weekly basis, at the Battalion level.

htowndragon
05-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Jason Liao, 21 years old

training for 10 years

before the ten years, some Chuun yang sword (form only, as taught by ernie wu to my chinese school principal)

Long Fist, Ba Gua, a little Xing Yi, Shuai Jiao, Hop Gar

Sifus George Ling Hu, Eugene Chou, John Wang, David Chin.

Eric Olson
05-08-2009, 02:16 AM
32 years old. Trained for one year at a Hung Gar/Choy Lay Fut school. Studied CLF for about ten years with another school and sifu. Also studied Chen Taiji for about the same length. Temporarily retired from martial arts training in 2007 to complete a competitive grad school program but I will probably resume training in a more sport-oriented art in the coming year.

EO

brothernumber9
05-08-2009, 04:59 AM
I'll be 37 this year.

Started Hung Fut under Sifu Tai Yim in 1990 and been doing the same since.

mawali
05-08-2009, 05:17 AM
-53 and started with TKD at 14 years
- Taijiquan for over 30 years (mainly Yang but also Chen and Sun)
- Shuaijiao (periodically)
- While in Okinawa (3 years) did karate (mostly training and conditioning work)
Naha-te and shuri-te.

Old Noob
05-08-2009, 05:56 AM
I'm of course unworthy. Dreamed about learning for 40 years. Started at 46, 5 months ago with Hung Gar. Through first form and now learning 4-part two person self defense. My forarms, just above each wrist, are very swollen tonight.

Not at all. I admire you for putting your stuff up. Some guys on here have so much experience that it can be quite intimidating. You're courageous, which is a great starting point.

Me:

Tai Kwon Do (6 mos at 13 yrs. old)
Shaolin Longfist under Sifu Mike Barry (1 1/2 years 16-17 yrs. old)
Life interfered with training (18-36 yrs. old)
Shaolin Do (a little over a year)

Had some Army training and deployments in there too. Though that is technically "martial," its not very artsy.

Best,
ON

SIFU RON
05-08-2009, 06:43 AM

walk with honor, your Sifu is proud, so are we.

xcakid
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Everyone, no matter the experience or certificates on the wall, is still a student and constantly learns. It's when you stop learning and you think you know it all that you become unworthy. Just keep learning.

Pork Chop
05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh Ten, I did recently meet Jerry Battle. He'd taken off for an injury I think so hadn't been around. He is very fast.

Dude, tell Jerry that Pork Chop wants some more yardbird (and black bean sauce)!

for myself, uhhh seems like i do one of these like every 6 months to a year...
sorry if this is long-winded, but I've bounced around a bit.

gonna be 32 this year.

-when i was in 7th grade i did TKD for a few months till I took a nasty fall and bruised my hip - the floor was this hard rubber that would really tear up your feet.

-January 1994, at age 16, I took my first class with Norm Burland, who came up in Tang Soo Do, then went to Green Dragon (SL Martin style) in Hawaii, moved to Okinawa & trained with Masamitsu Hokama (Yang, Chen, & simplified Taiji, Hsing Yi, and Bagua), before joining the Japanese Wushu Taiji Federation (JWTF) to do competition Taiji full time. He was instructor level in all of those places I listed. I s*cked bad at first, but I kept going every day for a year and a half before going to college and got okay. Got to train with him a couple times after that, on vacations and such. He passed away in 04. My training under him was mostly focused on hsing yi and competition taiji.

-In 1998 I started doing mantis (wah lum & 7*) and Yang Taiji in Austin. Trained there for 6 months, took a break to go back to school, came back and trained for a solid year. My training there was mostly focused on the basic wah lum mini-sets, chin woo forms, and one 7* form. Also trained a few months of Shuai Chiao during that time, mostly learning/practicing breakfalls - only randori'd like once.

-In 2001 I learned some fundamentals of sanshou, shuai chiao, & boxing with Li Yi-Yuan from Taiwan (current US National team coach I guess). Trained with him for around 4 months while he was getting ready for competition. I was his ragdoll & his lifting partner. Picked up a decent sidekick & decent jab.

-In 2002 I joined the Wongs in DC for Jow Ga. Did a LOT of lion dance performances. Pretty much a fulltime student there for 2 years, my time at the school tapered off towards the end of the second year. One of the instructors there has a lot of sanshou & thai experience and really taught me a lot; eventhough sportfighting competitions were not a priority of the school.

-In 2003 I met suntzu from this very forum & started training san shou and boxing fulltime as part of Baltimore San Shou. Pretty quickly, I was more interested in the sport stuff and by the end of the year I was barely doing kung fu at all. I never really stopped training this altogether, as I still keep in touch with the guys and occasionally go back to train, but by 2004 I realized I needed a little more guidance & a head coach that was going to be around more often.

-So in 2004 I started training muay thai with Khun Kao from this forum (and many others) and his trainer at the time Danny from Thailand (Bumrung Prawatsrichai). I'd see 'em on the weekends for a lot of technique work & a little sparring, then train full time at my local boxing gym (with Sugar Ray's brother Roger Leonard) for more sparring & bag/pad work.

-2006 I moved to Fort Worth. Started training at Armadillo boxing gym & New World Combat for muay thai. Training here was either hot or cold till I moved in November of 07.

-March 2008 I joined Shadow Fist (aka Sinlapa Muay Thai aka SitVongPhet), a muay thai gym in San Antonio. Trained for a few months & left to join a swim team to do something about my weight once I realized that the coach was negative about me fighting unless I dropped a weight class. The swimming didn't help much, made me realize you can be in shape and not look ripped. Joined AliveMMA (previously Power Team) before Halloween, strictly to work stand up with my coworkers. Back at the muay thai gym since January of this year. Rib injury aside, I'm hanging with all the heavyweights and am more focused on being in shape & being able to do awesomeness than being obsessed about my weight.

EDIT: Minor stuff, but in 03 I also trained with Russian Alex (san shou) for 3 months, Baltimore Boxing for 2 months, and Baltimore Judo (Bill Anderson) for 2 months. In 04 I got on a kung fu kick and trained Hung Gar with Jerry Battle for a few months before the 2 hour drive really started killing me. In 05 I trained BJJ for a month and a half before a spaz student, who was close with the teacher, smacked my head on a hardwood floor & damaged my retina (now 100% healed baby!!!). In 07 on another kung fu kick I went on a week-long, hung gar training trip with my buddy illusionfist.

Yao Sing
05-08-2009, 10:11 AM
54 years old and started when I was 21 unless you count learning Judo from a book and practicing the moves on my sister when I was about 10. :)

Mano Mano
05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Been involved with martial arts since I was 16, I’m 48 sometime this year.
I’ve done:
Boxing,
Judo,
Wing Chun,
Choy Lee Fut,
Hung Gar,
Doce Pares Eskrima.

lkfmdc
05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
this August I turn 105 ;)

did a PAL boxing for kids thing around 6 or 7

wanted to do flying kicks so I joined Taekwondo around 11
we did old style Moo Duk Kwan and Hapkido also, got a 2nd dan

did Shotokan, because I was chasing this Filipino chick over there :p

met a kid who was doing Judo at the Shotokan place, did a little Judo (around 16)

First CMA was Hung Ga, started around 12ish -
hung around Chinatown and did Dragon, a weird southern shaolin thing, 7 star mantis and eventually Shuai Jiao

Shuai Jiao under Jeng HSin Ping first semester in college
Then met Chan Tai San

Worked a lot of Muay Thai and boxing under student of Joe Lewis in Washington DC when I was in grad school in 1991

Started doing BJJ off and on around 1994

I get around ;)

seung ga faat
05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Here we go:
-1974-1977 Southern Kung Fu
-1980-1985 Fu Jow Pai
-1986 to present 7-Star Praying Mantis-Cheung Wah Sifu
________
roor bongs (http://roorbongs.org)
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Judge Pen
05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm 34 now. I started with an unspecificed style of karate when I was 10. When I was 14 I started training in shaolin-do. I've done that, more or less ever since, but I've also learned a little aikido, CLF, BJJ, Praying Manits along the way. Nothing too formal, just crossing hands and working out and picking up some stuff that made sense.

Baqualin
05-08-2009, 01:15 PM
55 closing in on 56 fast..Boxed and wrestled a little in HS..started judo in comm. college 71 through 74....transfered to UK in 74 and started Shaolin Do to present....only study the Internal side of SD since 95 focusing on Baqua & Chen Tai Chi. Still love to play with Judo and will workout and learn from anyone with sound abilities.

golden arhat
05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
54 years old and started when I was 21 unless you count learning Judo from a book and practicing the moves on my sister when I was about 10. :)

i'd actually count that
any experience is still experience and teaching yourself is very valuable

Lokhopkuen
05-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Shorin Ryu 7-11 years old

Boys Club Boxing 9-11

Chung Do Quan TKD 13-20

Northern Shaolim 21-50

50 years, 9 months and counting....................

Yao Sing
05-09-2009, 07:39 AM
i'd actually count that
any experience is still experience and teaching yourself is very valuable

There's an interesting story about me learning Judo from a book when I was a kid. I carried the book to school a few times and one of the older kids that used to harass me on the bus saw the book and stated teasing me about it saying stuff like "Don't mess with him he knows Judo, ooh I'm scared".

But what started as a teasing and bullying backfired and as the word spread it went from harassment to a warning. Nobody messed with me the whole school year PLUS the following year.

Now that's funny.

Lama Pai Sifu
05-09-2009, 07:49 AM
because I was chasing this Filipino chick over there :p

I get around ;)

So it is true. You have ALWAYS had the 'Asian-Fever'. And here it just thought it coincidence that you married a Chinese girl and then a Korean girl...

lkfmdc
05-09-2009, 07:51 AM
So it is true. You have ALWAYS had the 'Asian-Fever'. And here it just thought it coincidence that you married a Chinese girl and then a Korean girl...

it's not true! I mean there was that Japanes gymnast in High School, and the other Korean girl at teh TKD school, and the Chinese twins in college, and.....

uh..........

SIFU RON
05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
There's an interesting story about me learning Judo from a book when I was a kid. I carried the book to school a few times and one of the older kids that used to harass me on the bus saw the book and stated teasing me about it saying stuff like "Don't mess with him he knows Judo, ooh I'm scared".

But what started as a teasing and bullying backfired and as the word spread it went from harassment to a warning. Nobody messed with me the whole school year PLUS the following year.

Now that's funny.

Love it, great story, felt good didn't it ?

Thanks

KC Elbows
05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
39 this coming week.

Started when I was 15 with a little tae kwon do, just a few months, but I kept practicing the basic moves diligently after that.

At seventeen, joined chung moo quan, did that to black belt. Dropped that curriculum some years after quiting, some friends demonstrated to me that kung fu was better.

Somewhere around 23 learned a basic longfist set from Zhang Hongchao in Chicago, good teacher and a nice break attitude wise from my previous school.

At twenty-eight studied six elbows under Chun Man Sit, saw the value of taixuquan, was less interested in the other parts of the curriculum. Set my sights on learning the taixuquan set and associated spear set and eliminating everything else for the most part from training time.

In 1998, learned the entire system of bjj from Gracies in Action videos.:D

Around 2000 started studying six elbows and taixuquan from Mike Reyes, about 2005 finished learning the basis of the taixuquan set, dropped the other practices from my training, two of us who learned the whole set began working together to more fully grasp it.

2006-7 began studying footage of a wide variety of taixuquan teachers associated with our line, specifically looking for changes over time and differences in application, and analyzing each. Adopted an approach similar to Kong Chi Wah, Chun Man Sit's teacher, with some other important influences. Studied application with the intent of then setting up a number of drills to test my understanding.

2008 studied a variant of Chen style in Henan China, the specifics of the footwork and kua work were of interest, I found them very strong in applicability, but my interest was especially strong since they seemed to match exactly the sort of postures(and the implied footwork) used in most of the older pics of people doing taixuquan. Began implementing this approach into my taixuquan, with positive results.

2009 With the help of two others who know my system, began utilizing the drills I came up with to test my observations on taixuquan's applications. The drills were meant to be non-style specific, so that others could join in and all would have more exposure to dealing with more varied approaches. At this point, a small group are attending these labs, almost all people who know at least an entire system, plus some people training for mma fights(not taixuquan students). I suspect the next few years at least will be a result of this focus.

SIFU RON
05-17-2009, 10:54 PM
anyone over the age of 60 here ? If so, do you still work out and teach ? BTW thanks to all of you that posted already, nice to know there are several M/A folks on this forum.

SPJ
05-18-2009, 06:00 AM
I think you know who is 61?

:D;)

Jimbo
05-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Turned 46 earlier this month.

Started with Judo at 10 ( under my dad, who was a 2nd dan).

Kenpo Karate (ages 13 to 20).

Judo again at 15 (1 year).

Shi-to-Ryu Karate (ages 16 & 17).

Tang Soo Do/TKD (ages 18 to 21). For several years I was cross-training with these other arts while still training Kenpo.

Tanglang Quan (ages 21 thru 31).

Trained a bit of Lung Ying, ages 23 to 25).

CLF (age 30 to present).

BJJ (last year for 1 year).

Vajramusti
05-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Will be 76 this summer- never miss a day of wing chun!

joy chaudhuri

Mr Punch
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
37 yrs old.

A few boxing lessons from my old man, and only training with my bro as a kid (8? 9?). Hated it then (big bro was bigger and had very old unpadded gloves :eek: ) but learnt (and took with me) valuable experience in dodging, riding punches, basic punches and getting the snot knocked out of me.

A very little dabbling in judo as early teen from elder sister who was learning it and then from others. Remembered basic use of hips, sinking CoB etc.

Started aikido in an oldskool hardcore school at 18 (including free sparring with the school's karateka, judoka etc). Moved to a slightly less hardcore school a year later (financial reasons). Continued that for 10 years: training pretty much every day for the first five. Shodan (one of the youngest and quickest at that school). Stopped grading because the headquarters of the system was going all soft and ****e.

Moved to Uni. Tried ki-aikido for 6 mths. Not my thing. Too much floating and skipping and smiling. Tried shotokan, hung gar for 6 mths each - not my thing.

Started Yang Tai Chi (had some martial privates but essentially not a martial class) and Wing Chun under Sam Kwok. Trained and cross-trained every day for three years with more experienced people, taking lots of privates, and lots of classes, inc hard sparring.

Tried another few chun teachers: mostly crap.

Moved to Japan. 6 mths aikido with one of Ueshiba's uchi-deshi.

Tried some wing chun teachers (crap) including one for a year.

Started training informally with cross-line wing chun group of some experience inc teaching basics to some.

Kendo 3 years (shodan - no opportunity to continue yet).

MMA 3 years on/off through injury (shooto: Thai kicks, boxing, sub wrestling, BJJ) with Ryan Bow, several of Genki Sudo and Kid Yamamoto's stablemates etc.

Kobujutsu (yari, bayonet, daito-ryu aikijujutsu) based core work and basics with sparring padwork etc on/off (through injury again) since 5 or so years ago.

Taekwondo kicking basics in exchange for wing chun from quality TKD teacher friend for a coupla months.

Now, mostly injured still, so weightlifting, yoga (every day), wing chun forms and stancework/footwork, occasional partnered WC legwork, kobujutsu core work, aikido weapons forms etc. Never forgotten the aikido, and occasionally go to dojo or teach people bits and bobs or pull it off in (lighter and lighter... thru injury :rolleyes: :( ) sparring. Haven't lost it, but then I was good! :D

We've got some people with amazing experience on here eh?
I didn't know you were 76, Joy! I knew Dave Ross gets around tho... at least that's what his pimp told me.

Vajramusti
05-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Can't complain- take care of myself quite well.
Still evolving in my understanding of martial motion..and the strengths and weaknesses of myself and others.

Hope that you rehab well. Regards.

Joy Chaudhuri

JT1125
05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
17 years of age....

2 years of Wing Chun
1 year of Xingyiquan

looking to pick up Liuhebafa over the summer

sanjuro_ronin
05-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Turning 40 this September...

Training since: 1977
Amateur Boxing record: 10-2 with 8 KO’S Boxing Ontario / Canadian Amateur boxing Association CABA
Semi-pro: 8-2 with 6 KO’S Canadian Boxing Federation CBF
Muay Thai : 4-2 “unsactioned”.
Vale Tudo- 3-2
Kyokushin: 15-3
ITF TKD: 3-2
Macao: 9 months in 1992.
Military: 1994-1998 Royal Canadian Regiment Petawawa
Military: Bosnia in 1997.

MA:
Energy Lake kung fu ( Hung Gar) : 1978 - 1981
Boxing : 1984 Portugal, 1990-95 Canada. ( on and off).
Okinawan Goju / kyokushin: 1981-1986 Brown Belt Goju, Portugal
Kodokan Judo : 1981-1986 Black Belt in Judo Portugal
1st Degree Judo:Canada 1991
2rd Degree Kyokushin Karate : Canada 1993
3rd Degree ITF TKD : Canada 1995
Trained in:
Muay Thai, Hung Gar, Moy Yat Wing Chun, JKD, Aikido,
Weapons:, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Escima/Kali

Fight record:
Under 18:
Portuguese under 18 amateur lightweight boxing champion 1985
Runner-up European under 18 lightweight boxing champion 1986
Portuguese Lightweight under 18 Judo Champion ( Brown Belt) 1985
Portuguese Lightweight contact Karate Champion Under 18 (Novice Black Belt) 1986
Over 18:
All Star Kyokushin under 200lbs champion 1990
Kubota Cub Middleweight novice (Under 165lbs) Black Belt Champion 1989 IKA
North American Full Contact Karate Championship- 2nd place Black Belt Open Division 1991
Army Middleweight judo champion - 1995 ( Ontario)
Army Middleweight Boxing 2nd place 1995 ( Ontario)

Baqualin
05-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Turning 40 this September...

Training since: 1977
Amateur Boxing record: 10-2 with 8 KO’S Boxing Ontario / Canadian Amateur boxing Association CABA
Semi-pro: 8-2 with 6 KO’S Canadian Boxing Federation CBF
Muay Thai : 4-2 “unsactioned”.
Vale Tudo- 3-2
Kyokushin: 15-3
ITF TKD: 3-2
Macao: 9 months in 1992.
Military: 1994-1998 Royal Canadian Regiment Petawawa
Military: Bosnia in 1997.

MA:
Energy Lake kung fu ( Hung Gar) : 1978 - 1981
Boxing : 1984 Portugal, 1990-95 Canada. ( on and off).
Okinawan Goju / kyokushin: 1981-1986 Brown Belt Goju, Portugal
Kodokan Judo : 1981-1986 Black Belt in Judo Portugal
1st Degree Judo:Canada 1991
2rd Degree Kyokushin Karate : Canada 1993
3rd Degree ITF TKD : Canada 1995
Trained in:
Muay Thai, Hung Gar, Moy Yat Wing Chun, JKD, Aikido,
Weapons:, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Escima/Kali

Fight record:
Under 18:
Portuguese under 18 amateur lightweight boxing champion 1985
Runner-up European under 18 lightweight boxing champion 1986
Portuguese Lightweight under 18 Judo Champion ( Brown Belt) 1985
Portuguese Lightweight contact Karate Champion Under 18 (Novice Black Belt) 1986
Over 18:
All Star Kyokushin under 200lbs champion 1990
Kubota Cub Middleweight novice (Under 165lbs) Black Belt Champion 1989 IKA
North American Full Contact Karate Championship- 2nd place Black Belt Open Division 1991
Army Middleweight judo champion - 1995 ( Ontario)
Army Middleweight Boxing 2nd place 1995 ( Ontario)

You left out Chen Tai Chi;)

Mr Punch
05-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Hope that you rehab well. Regards.Thank you. I do too. I fully intend to be doing something every day when I'm your age: hopefully martial arts but yoga will do me fine too. You're an inspiration.

sanjuro_ronin
05-20-2009, 08:27 AM
You left out Chen Tai Chi;)

True that....

Kansuke
05-20-2009, 08:54 AM
39 years old (for a few more months), started wrestling at age 7. Been doing that ever since, wherever I've gone.

I think for the first 7 years or so I never won a single match, then things started to pick up.

Wrestled Div.1 in college and in 1991 was the NCAA Div.1 New England champion at my weight class.

After college I decided to head out and see a little of the world. I moved to China and worked there for two years while training taichiquan with Chen Quanzhong and kungfu at a little school in the Muslim quarter of the city. I got hooked up with the Shaanxi Provincial wrestling team in Xi'an and worked out with them a couple of times a week.

After that I moved to Japan, where I would stay off and on for about three years. I trained kendo, Japanese Kempo, Aikido, and worked out fairly regularly with folks training in a variety of things from Muay Thai to Ninjutsu. I also worked out with a local wrestling club.

When I got back to the states I moved around a bit for some years so I ended up dabbling in a bunch of things as a matter of course if not design. American Kempo, TKD, Boxing, San Shou, MMA. Not to any significant extent but enough to get a taste if you will. Throughout, wrestling has always remained the main focus of training time. I still get in to wrestle at least three times a week no matter what else I'm up to. More recently I started to get into iaido (I had done a little in Japan while training Aikido), but that has been interrupted in recent months by the expansion of my family.

Lifting and running remain a must as the body cooperates less than it used to.

That's about it unless I've forgotten something.

Jimbo
05-20-2009, 10:21 AM
37 yrs old.

A few boxing lessons from my old man, and only training with my bro as a kid (8? 9?). Hated it then (big bro was bigger and had very old unpadded gloves :eek: ) but learnt (and took with me) valuable experience in dodging, riding punches, basic punches and getting the snot knocked out of me.

A very little dabbling in judo as early teen from elder sister who was learning it and then from others. Remembered basic use of hips, sinking CoB etc.

Started aikido in an oldskool hardcore school at 18 (including free sparring with the school's karateka, judoka etc). Moved to a slightly less hardcore school a year later (financial reasons). Continued that for 10 years: training pretty much every day for the first five. Shodan (one of the youngest and quickest at that school). Stopped grading because the headquarters of the system was going all soft and ****e.

Moved to Uni. Tried ki-aikido for 6 mths. Not my thing. Too much floating and skipping and smiling. Tried shotokan, hung gar for 6 mths each - not my thing.

Started Yang Tai Chi (had some martial privates but essentially not a martial class) and Wing Chun under Sam Kwok. Trained and cross-trained every day for three years with more experienced people, taking lots of privates, and lots of classes, inc hard sparring.

Tried another few chun teachers: mostly crap.

Moved to Japan. 6 mths aikido with one of Ueshiba's uchi-deshi.

Tried some wing chun teachers (crap) including one for a year.

Started training informally with cross-line wing chun group of some experience inc teaching basics to some.

Kendo 3 years (shodan - no opportunity to continue yet).

MMA 3 years on/off through injury (shooto: Thai kicks, boxing, sub wrestling, BJJ) with Ryan Bow, several of Genki Sudo and Kid Yamamoto's stablemates etc.

Kobujutsu (yari, bayonet, daito-ryu aikijujutsu) based core work and basics with sparring padwork etc on/off (through injury again) since 5 or so years ago.

Taekwondo kicking basics in exchange for wing chun from quality TKD teacher friend for a coupla months.

Now, mostly injured still, so weightlifting, yoga (every day), wing chun forms and stancework/footwork, occasional partnered WC legwork, kobujutsu core work, aikido weapons forms etc. Never forgotten the aikido, and occasionally go to dojo or teach people bits and bobs or pull it off in (lighter and lighter... thru injury :rolleyes: :( ) sparring. Haven't lost it, but then I was good! :D

We've got some people with amazing experience on here eh?
I didn't know you were 76, Joy! I knew Dave Ross gets around tho... at least that's what his pimp told me.

Mr. Punch:
I feel ya on the injury thing. I was injured in 2005 and again in '07 (mostly non-MA-related). One of the reasons I took up BJJ last year, to train my body differently and get in some sparring again, in some form (which I absolutely loved, even though it's completely different to CLF). Though I went in injured, I did very well, but eventually, due to my worsening low back I decided it was best to back off.

I'm still doing what I can almost every day, and my vision for the future is a full recovery and a return to training more completely in CLF, maybe see if there's any good Chen Taiji around as well. I've recently been training only on my own, and have had to modify some of the torque out of many moves and greatly lessen power generation, at least for now. In the meantime, these injuries have taught me a very real appreciation of having one's health and well-being in a way that I might not have learned otherwise. Such challenges are often great teachers in themselves.

Yung Apprentice
05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Will be 27 in August.

4 years of TKD
6 months BJJ
6 months JKD
Been involved in boxing as well.

Oh and I started learning monkey kung fu, by watching my nine month old son.

Reverend Tap
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm 24 now, just a few weeks out from hitting a quarter-century.

Started training in 2002, 4 years of Wing Chun then about 2.5 years and counting of Pai Lum.

bawang
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
hi i am 19 i learned northern no name long fist five techniques , and yang taijiquan 15 techniques, i been training for about 5 years

jmd161
05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm 43

Wrestled and Boxed a bit as a kid

Started Nisei Go Ju Ryu at about 14 yrs old did 4 yrs

Did Bak Sil Lum off and on for a number of yrs

Trained a little in Eagle Claw, Hung Fut, Fut Gar, Hung Gar, Chen Taiji

In 2002 while expecting to start Choy Lay Fut came across Master C. Kuen Woo of Hak Fu Mun and been hooked ever since!:D

Jeff:)

Shaolin
05-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm 32

Been training Shaolin 12years, and Chen Tai Chi for 11.

PlumDragon
05-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Pretty good turnout in this thread...OK, Ill bite:

30 years old.
- TKD/TSD as a child. Northern Mantis on and off through High School.
- Shaolin Long Fist in college (1998-2000)
- Pai Lum in college (2000-2002)
- Dabbled in Ngo Cho, Wing Chun, and Xing Yi, and spent a short time at Straight Blast Gym (2003-2005)
- Jook Lum SPM (2005-2008)

And presently:
- Jeet Kune Do--strong focus on Inosanto Kali (2004-present)
- Balintawak Arnis (2008-present)

Ive found myself in Balintawak. It will hopefully be the last art I ever study.

SIFU RON
05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Anyone that has spent their lives training , teaching, and practicing M/A deserves great respect. It's a "Joy" to read about you at 76 Vajramusti. In fact , it's nice to read these posts from all of you, all of us share mutual respect for our fellow M/A.

shaolinboxer
05-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I remember Yan Ming used to joke, "I've been training 2000 years!"

He thought it was funny everyone asked him his age and "how long" he was training.

My current teacher celebrated 50 years in the arts a week ago.

So....

33 yrs old (with kid and house and wife and career....that counts ;) )
Training since 1993
Then: the stuff we all did before "MMA", Wu Mei, Shaolin, Sanda
Now: Nidan, Aikido (Shizuo Imaizumi); beginner Baguazhang (Frank Allen, Tina Zhang)

Yum Cha
05-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm 51,
Started slowly in '72 at 14, so around 37 years in MA.

Started with Ko Du Sho (kenpo) Karate (on and off since then, brother is an early blackbelt of Fred Abshere and I still play some forms.)

Tae Kwon Do, Frankfurt a.m Germany - 4 years
1975 American Military Europe Grand champion, coloured belts, under 150lbs.

University of Oregon "Karate Club" 2 years

Yau Kung Mun Sifu Cheung Leung 4 years
1987 NSW State runner up, NSW Chinese Martial Arts Association Full Contact Kickboxing (San Da rules) 80kg.

Pak Mei, Sifu Leung Yuk Seng 20 years, and still counting.

Parker Kenpo - Training mate's style, some cross training.

BJJ - 3 months - cross training

David Jamieson
05-25-2009, 12:20 PM
well, it seems that some of us are still crapping yellow while others are ****ing dust. :p

SIFU RON
05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
here is a great piece of work, from Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine, and it fits right in on this thread.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SIFURON/_MYLETTERTOKFTAICHI-1.jpg

NorthernShaolin
05-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Sifu Ron,

I'm 60 and still working out and teaching.

jdhowland
05-27-2009, 01:18 AM
I'll be 55 in a couple of weeks.
Started in jujitsu and shuai jiao in 1963 under William Reed.
Tried to broaden my scope in my teens with Shorin (Kobayashi) Ryu, Okinawa Goju and Hawaiian Kenpo. Then the bug bit me hard. The following list implies no real skill, just a fanatic's interest:

Tibetan White Crane
Chan Ga Hung Sing Choy Lei Fat
Bak Sing Choy Lei Fat
Hop Ga
Chen Jia Taijiquan
Yi Quan
Hsing-i
Cha Quan
7 Star PM
Derobio Eskrima
Danzan Ryu Jujitsu
Jikishinkage Ryu Naginata, Kusarigama, tanto jutsu, etc.
Ryukyu Kobudo (Shinken Taira style)
Shinto Muso Ryu (jo, kenjutsu and associated arts)
Kukishin Ryu
Malaysian Silat
European epee, sabre and singlestick fencing

Still practicing and teaching. Nowadays my TCMA is focused on the Mongolian wrestling arts found within the so-called Tibetan styles ( I suppose I'm too old to outbox a younger man--might as well try to outmaneuver him,) CLF and Yi Quan.

Be well.

SIFU RON
05-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Sifu Ron,

I'm 60 and still working out and teaching.

Martial Art " lifers" are hard to find, we are few and far between, this forum has a great " congregation of lifers" and being " birds of the feathers " this is the best forum to "get together".

Thanks

golden arhat
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
do you hear football players talking about how longtheyve been playing
or how WELL they are playing

why do you get kudos for the amount of time spent as opposed to how good you are?

David Jamieson
05-31-2009, 04:09 PM

why do you get kudos for the amount of time spent as opposed to how good you are?

on the first, yes! You do hear about it. In Canada it's older hockey players that are revered for still being in the game and still doing well.

why get kudos for anything? If you do well and someone admires that, then you are bound to get a compliment or two eventually.

in my opinion, anyone who carries on with fetching wood and carrying water into their autumn years is worthy of respect. Most people wither up and fade away.

tenacity is an admirable trait, especially in older folks.

yu shan
05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
52 and feeling more clever with my training, especially the little things. Aerials are starting to suck though, think I`ll just keep my feet on the ground eh.

Nice post Mr. Jamieson, well said about our seniors. BTW, can you point out some Canadians in the SC that us novice hockey folks can look out for. Your boys play the best no doubt.

Jim

Mr Punch
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM

why do you get kudos for the amount of time spent as opposed to how good you are?Calm down, kiddo! :D

Apart from DJ's eloquently put post, did you actually see anyon eon this thread boasting about how cool they were and about how they deserve kudos because they've been training for a long time? No: you got mostly a bunch of humble folks saying how they're so many years in and still a beginner or whatever, and people naturally giving them kudos for those things... But that's OK, people get more human as they get older! :p

David Jamieson
06-01-2009, 06:18 AM
52 and feeling more clever with my training, especially the little things. Aerials are starting to suck though, think I`ll just keep my feet on the ground eh.

Nice post Mr. Jamieson, well said about our seniors. BTW, can you point out some Canadians in the SC that us novice hockey folks can look out for. Your boys play the best no doubt.

Jim

Well Crosby for Pittsburgh is one for sure. That kid is awesome!

But there are a few canucks on both those teams.

It should be an intense contest as both teams are really very good.

KC Elbows
06-01-2009, 09:15 AM

I get what you're saying, I think there are two things: dedication and talent. One without the other is cool, the combo is very cool, and one doesn't replace the other.

On the flip side, I know a former Ram who is a few years older than me, he played a long time. He can barely walk at this point, but he loves the time he put in. He is the first to say he was never the star of his team, but he did his job. Anyway, I think there's something to be said for his dedication.(I'm aware you're not saying otherwise, just babbling here).

Anyway, as a player in my style, who has worked hard to improve the training methodology, but who often cannot train fully because the improvements mean a guy my age will be out from injury a lot, I dig dedication.

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM

After they quit playing? all the time.

Mano Mano
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM

come back in another 30 years & see if you feel the same way about it.

golden arhat
06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
i'm just saying that anyone can hang about an MA class do a few forms for 50 years and say they have 50 years of experience

when the focus should be on doing well.

not that i dont admire dedication, i've been doign MA for most of my life but i dont want recognition for it i want recognition for an achievement!

however achievement usually comes with hard work for extended periods of time
so if you've been at it long enoguh you have probably achieved something noteworthy,

sticking to your guns demands respect.

David Jamieson
06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
i'm just saying that anyone can hang about an MA class do a few forms for 50 years and say they have 50 years of experience

when the focus should be on doing well.

not that i dont admire dedication, i've been doign MA for most of my life but i dont want recognition for it i want recognition for an achievement!

however achievement usually comes with hard work for extended periods of time
so if you've been at it long enoguh you have probably achieved something noteworthy,

sticking to your guns demands respect.

great fighters don't stay that way.

they come and go. but that doesn't take away from their achievements when they were peaking.

Jimbo
06-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Achievement means different things to different people. I've seen MA training lead to experiences that proved life-altering for the better. Others have overcome physical limitations. For some other people, achievement may only mean winning a world championship of some sort. Unfortunately, of all the people training and competing, relatively few will win a championship, and even fewer a world title. If they fail at that, does that mean they didn't achieve something?

Public recognition of achievement is great, in or out of MA. But in the end, the person it really matters the most to is yourself. Being honest with yourself and constantly striving to improve your skills or understanding are more important that what someone else may or may not think about you.

uki
06-02-2009, 01:23 AM
I like to think of myself as refreshingly immature for the most part. for once you've posted something that i actually agree with. :)

David Jamieson
06-02-2009, 03:46 AM
for once you've posted something that i actually agree with. :)

You just don't like my online persona because it challenged your "I'm a wise man" routine early on.

uki
06-02-2009, 03:59 AM
You just don't like my online persona because it challenged your "I'm a wise man" routine early on.i hardly find you a challenge at all... i'm just attracted to worldly fools. :p

golden arhat
06-02-2009, 04:39 AM
You just don't like my online persona because it challenged your "I'm a wise man" routine early on.

hahaha so true!!

David Jamieson
06-02-2009, 04:43 AM
I would also add that when i first started coming to MA forums, a lot of my stuff was pompous asshattery as well.

fortune cookie spewbot would have been an apropo name. lol

thankfully we each have remarkable capacity for change. :)
and having been one of the worst, it helps me to recognize it quickly now.

lol

uki
06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
thankfully we each have remarkable capacity for change. :)
and having been one of the worst, it helps me to recognize it quickly now.you still rub off as a being twit. :)

David Jamieson
06-02-2009, 05:36 AM
you still rub off as a being twit. :)

right back atcha pal. :)

dnovice
06-02-2009, 05:38 AM
28 years old. About 7 years wing chun. That's it baby! Nada else.

omarthefish
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM

50 years but how many hours?

Kansuke
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I would also add that when i first started coming to MA forums, a lot of my stuff was pompous asshattery as well.

Ya don't say............. :rolleyes:

TenTigers
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM

that, and don't confuse ten years experience, when all you have is two years, five times.

David Jamieson
06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Ya don't say............. :rolleyes:

oh hi chubby!! :)

get that breast reduction yet?

always got time to give you a virtual hot karl boy. :)

uki
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
that, and don't confuse ten years experience, when all you have is two years, five times.but why not? 5 x 2 = 10. if you practice 5 different "things" for two years each, you will still have 10 years of experience in practice. how many 30+ years peeps out there have only trained one way the entire 30 years? in the end it matters not even how long you have trained or what you have trained... it all comes down to understanding concepts - which in the end manifest as techniques analyzed and stored by the mind - the body's personal hard drive. this is why visualization is such an emphasis in the martial arts... by pre-constructing encounters and movements in ones mind, one builds a memory path for reacting in similar situations or enviroments. it has always been taught: mind is the path and the body follows the mind, which is directed by the spirit - it shouldn't take 30+ years to figure this out. :)

TenTigers
06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I used to jump around alot, collecting rank in several different styles, but then I met someone who trained under one teacher for over 30 years, and his skill and understanding is phenomenal. (I've been with him ever since) There's a difference between having a sixth grade education at several different elementary schools and getting a masters.

uki
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
There's a difference between having a sixth grade education at several different elementary schools and getting a masters.i suppose... i simply view it all on an elementary level... hit hard, hit once. repeat if necessary.

of course there is a whole scribble of fine print in there - gotta suprise them like a comet coming from behind the sun. :)

TenTigers
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
i suppose... i simply view it all on an elementary level... hit hard, hit once. repeat if necessary.

true, and I understand that. It's just that after awhile, you start looking for something more, and when you meet someone who has such skill, and not just see it, but feel it, you start to want to attain a different type of skill than simply hitting.
It's like guitar players. Some people are content with having a decent guitar, amp, etc. Others, like myself are called "Tone Chasers." We go from guitar to guitar, seeking the right woods with the proper resonance,(mahogany sounds different than alder, which is different than basswood, etc) the right pickups with the tonal range and response and harmonics, the right amplifier and speaker set up, even down to the brand tubes, each having their own characteristic, just to get that elusive tone. Does it make you a better player? No. It's just something you want to feel.
Is my SPM phoenix eye better than your hook? No. It's just different, and that difference is what I enjoy playing.
Meanwhile I own 23 guitars, and there are still several I need to own...
And although I own a '73 reissue Marshall 50 watt plexi head, I want to hook it up to a variac, drop the plate voltage to the power amp, and run it full into a dummy load, or a power attenuator, and I want that Seymore Duncan EVH custom wound pickup(same specs as Van Halen's), and, and...

TenTigers
06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
still trying to find a hum-free p-90 that retains that same warm tone...

uki
06-03-2009, 06:57 PM
It's just that after awhile, you start looking for something more, and when you meet someone who has such skill, and not just see it, but feel it, you start to want to attain a different type of skill than simply hitting. of course... i am a fan of the locking-trapping-mantis-hooky-fist-arm... i only hit if i want to, otherwise i like practicing pretzel making and meat tenderizing. :)

i believe the difference between my approach to martial arts(or anything for the matter) is that i am coming from the opposite end... i believe WE individually contain the understanding of the WHOLE within ourself... the DNA, the genetic blueprint of our being, contains all the history of the human race in itself. moments of enlightenment are nothing more than a resurfacing and acknowledgement of a suppressed genetic memory... i view everything that one would call "learned" as nothing more than being "remembered" i believe that beings on this planet have been here for thousands of years, incarnating over and over again in order to grow in their spiritual understanding of the physical realm around us... once a soul has awakened to its inner light, its purpose, it begins to manifest the sum of experience of its many lifetimes into one. i didn't come here to learn... i came to remember. :)

Kansuke
06-03-2009, 07:52 PM
oh hi chubby!! :)

get that breast reduction yet?

always got time to give you a virtual hot karl boy. :)

What the hell does any of that mean? You trying to transition from pompous asshattery to complete irrationality?

Kansuke
06-03-2009, 07:59 PM
... by pre-constructing encounters and movements in ones mind, one builds a memory path for reacting in similar situations or enviroments. it has always been taught: mind is the path and the body follows the mind, which is directed by the spirit -

............................................oh brother... :rolleyes:

uki
06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
............................................oh brother...oh yes.................

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 04:35 AM
What the hell does any of that mean? You trying to transition from pompous asshattery to complete irrationality?

just poking you troll.

Lokhopkuen
06-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Will be 76 this summer- never miss a day of wing chun!

joy chaudhuri

I wouldn't mess with you :-)
Remember? (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=121862391&albumID=1476070&imageID=17023588)

Kansuke
06-04-2009, 05:32 AM
just poking you.

Are you coming on to me, asshat? Hommie don't roll dat way.

Vajramusti
06-04-2009, 05:32 AM
I dont forget- best wishes to you and family. Hope Arjuna is doing well.

Best,

joy

joy chaudhuri

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Are you coming on to me, asshat? Hommie don't roll dat way.

that's not what your mom told me, dink eater. :D

KC Elbows
06-04-2009, 06:45 AM

Yeah, where can he buy your book?

Kansuke
06-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Wow, you are bad at this. Perhaps you need to travel more and learn some enlightened put-downs from around the world.

Kansuke
06-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Yeah, where can he buy your book?

You'll find it at STFU bookstores everywhere.

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 06:59 AM
You'll find it at STFU bookstores everywhere.

are you going to start crying now and crawl back under your rock?

KC Elbows
06-04-2009, 07:06 AM
wow, you are bad at this. Perhaps you need to travel more and learn some enlightened put-downs from around the world.

你是王七的弟弟, 师傅王八.

ta eejiig hoxoi baidag.(Forgive the departure from the cyrillic script, the computer I'm on doesn't have it installed).

Kansuke
06-04-2009, 07:16 AM
are you going to start crying now and crawl back under your rock?

That's it? Very poor effort.

KC Elbows
06-04-2009, 07:26 AM
现在kansuke给他朋友们打电话, 说"对不起, 不知道我人为什么, 当没有些的朋友们为了帮助我跟别说话, 我怎么样会不丢联? 请你们帮助我! 我说的话已经象小时的话, 不要我的朋友们对我看不起! 我真是傻帽! 然后当没有别朋友为了帮助我说小时试的话我会从来没再作那么!"

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 07:31 AM
That's it? Very poor effort.

no worries, it's just that i don't care.

Kansuke
06-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Well then it's good enough.

Mas Judt
06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Old enough to know better.

SIFU RON
06-10-2009, 06:20 AM
who's the oldest person you've seem ? Ark Wong passed at 87, he was active till close to the end. YC Wong is getting up their, last time I saw him he was still teaching. Buck Sam Kong I think is still teaching, Wally Jay I'm not sure, I met them both in 2006.

I feel as though KF has much more to offer as we age, than, other M/A styles. "When I was young and in my prime I fought all the time - now that I am old and gray I exercise for health everyday" quote from GM Bin-Go-Lau.

golden arhat
06-10-2009, 06:49 AM

well thats just my point :confused:

David Jamieson
06-10-2009, 11:01 AM
who's the oldest person you've seem ? Ark Wong passed at 87, he was active till close to the end. YC Wong is getting up their, last time I saw him he was still teaching. Buck Sam Kong I think is still teaching, Wally Jay I'm not sure, I met them both in 2006.

I feel as though KF has much more to offer as we age, than, other M/A styles. "When I was young and in my prime I fought all the time - now that I am old and gray I exercise for health everyday" quote from GM Bin-Go-Lau.

this is the oldest kungfu/qigong practitioner i have seen.
he is about 90yrs in this clip from a documentary made about him.
remarkable skill.

don't even think about his age, just watch him.
quite good.

md1
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
47 years old. 30 years and counting all in MuDong KF

Yao Sing
06-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Never heard of MuDong, could you describe?

md1
06-16-2009, 06:41 AM
MuDong (WuDang ) , My Sifu was one of only 5 and the only non priest to have learned this style back in the day at WuDang ( Purple Summit ). From what I understand his uncle was the right hand man to Chiang Kai Sheck so they put him in the temple at 4 years of age. The style was to have been the predecessor as part of the Xing yi, Pa kua and tai chi family.
Anyway hope that helps

TenTigers
06-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Mo Dong is the Cantonese pronounciation of Wu Dan.

David Jamieson
08-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Struggling beginner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yj0xLOA8mY

you put more effort into hiding yourself than anything else.

kthxbye.

bawang
08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Struggling beginner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yj0xLOA8mY

why are you doing stone ball excercises with a basketball and a bouncy ball?
lol?

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
why are you doing stone ball excercises with a basketball and a bouncy ball?
lol?

you ask this, and yet you do not find his headwear worthy of query...

bawang
08-17-2009, 02:23 PM
his mask is BADASS ur jealous

Lucas
08-17-2009, 02:27 PM
his mask is BADASS ur jealous

someone had to say it
;)

David Jamieson
08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
well, the hat is almost insulting.

real coolie wear.

for a white dude to be sporting that, while professing to self study asian martial arts, well, it's a bit off colour if you ask me.

maybe he's a stormfront member who thinks he's being funny for his pals?

Lucas
08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
but bawang said......ah nvm..

:D

David Jamieson
08-17-2009, 04:29 PM
bawangs funny. :)

but dude...is silly.

there is a difference. lol

uki
08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
there is a difference. lolyet usually something that is silly, is also funny. :)

bawang
08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
i skipped to a random point in you clip and watched for 5 seconds and you looked like you were doing some traditional excercise, but now i watched more realize u were just rolling a basketbal around in your hand
wtf are you doing in ur videos