PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Jeff Grunberg's Video Corespondence Course

Scarletmantis
03-05-2001, 01:37 AM
As some of you may be aware, I recently recieved a long awaited tape from Sifu Jeff Grunberg, the first in his video training series. Some folks have requested a review, admitedly, it's difficult to rate a whole series based on one tape, so I'll just describe what I got, and how I feel about it.

The tape I recieved teaches the first movements of the 7* form entitled "Gung Luk Kuen" (Strength Building Form) according to Sifu Grunberg.

The pace of the tape is very similar to what you would find in your average Kung Fu class. Meticulous attention to detail is the rule, rather than the exception here.

Unfortunately this means it might take an advanced student quite awhile to find something new . I am assuming that the series is geared toward the beginning student, with little or no NPM experience. IF that is the case, you would find the tape exceptional.

Sifu Grunberg's style is somewhat different from the system I have been trained in. His stances and stretched out arm positions seemed to have been influenced by Northern Shaolin, where as my Mantis is more compact and relaxed.

His body looked coordinated, and he was in excellent physical condition. This is important because it shows that he has probably been training seriously for quite some time.

Of his approach, Grunberg says that he teaches "just as (he) learned, a little bit each week. Each tape offers you four lessons, please study only one lesson each week."

Grunberg advises the viewers that if they rush thier training "It will actually impede your learning...You can only absorb so much."

In all honesty, despite the amateur production style, the tape is very clear and easy to understand. I would recommend the series to anyone who is seriously intrested in learning NPM. It will take much self control not to power through the tapes, but I've never seen such a realistic teacher/student approach.

Write to:

Work Force One Inc.
attn: Jeff Grunberg
980 Broadway, Suite 602
Thornwood, N.Y. 10594

Each tape costs $20, Check or MoneyOrder

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."

frosh2786
03-08-2001, 06:24 AM
i have absolutely no experience in CMA, im taking aikido. would you recommend this video?i would like to learn basics...just some stuff to mess around with till i can get a real teacher. thanks!

Scarletmantis
03-10-2001, 12:22 AM
Yes as I said before, this video series would be excellent for the beginner. However, to really get the most from these tapes, you'll have to be willing to put in a fair amount of effort. Just "mess(ing) around" will probably be a waste of time. As you know from your Aikido training, you've got to be willing to work hard.

The tapes are not expensive, actually they're the best value I've seen. It might be worth it to fork out the twenty bucks just to see if it's something you'd be interested in...

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."

Laughing Buddha
03-24-2001, 01:55 PM
Technically, Gung Lik Kuen is not a Mantis form. It is one of the ten forms taught by the Jing Mo Association and which a student had to master before he was given the choice as to which style he wanted to follow. One of the original four styles was Praying Mantis. As the Jing Mo Association expanded, other styles became a part of it and thus more styles became available. But since Gung Lik Kuen was a basic form of the Jing Mo, you'll find variants of it taught in Eagle Claw, Choy Lay Fut, etc, schools.

-------------------------------------</P>

A "Laughing Buddha" or "Dai Tao Fut" is usually found cavorting in front of and leading the lion(s) in a Southern Lion Dance troupe.</P>

* I speak for myself and not for my Si Fu nor kwoon, so any errors I make are mine alone.>