PDA

View Full Version : Wu Bu Quan in Shaolin?

Tensei85
05-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Just a question: How many Shaolin training facilities actually incorporate the form Wu Bu Quan (Ng Bou Kuen) in their forms regiment?

Just wondering, personally I've found a lot of use for it.

Thanks

LFJ
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
just about every one i've seen, but they do it in their own "shaolin" style- a bit different from the common contemporary wushu version.

sha0lin1
05-11-2009, 06:28 AM
We use it, it is one of the first forms we teach. We teach it in more of a traditional way, especially at the end, we use a palm strike instead of a swing up. That is the only deviation. I can't think of a form that trains the 5 stances better, it is a great form for this. It is also a great form to train flow and speed, it takes a while to master it due to the constant up and down motions. It is interesting to watch the new guys do this form and the second one that we teach, Lian Huan Quan. They will run through Wu Bu as fast as they can go, then do Lian Huan a lot faster, about 25% faster.

GeneChing
05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
...which isn't to say it's not taught there. It was just never offered as part of the curriculum from any of the monks and coaches that I studied under there. I did learn a Shaolin version from Shi Yanming, but that was NYC in '99. That was when I was working on the 1999 September (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=99) and was transitioning from freelance to full-time here.

Shaolinlueb
05-11-2009, 11:22 AM
my sifu learned a version from shi yan ming that we use. it doesnt stop at the cat stance and goes along for a couple more moves before it ends where it started.

LFJ
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
that would be what they call "chuji quantao" (basic set). i believe he created the second half himself.

wubuquan is taught to new (chinese) students at master deyang's school.

you can see it in the documentary "myths and logic of shaolin gongfu": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psx70YE6O7c&feature=related

at about 6:50, front and center.

you can see, it is done in a looping pattern, down and back twice. and the main difference with wubuquan in shaolin schools is the pubu at the beginning of the set instead of mabu as in the contemporary wushu schools.

Royal Dragon
05-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Many do not know this, but Wu Bu Quan is actually a Moslem basic set from Cha Fist. It was incorporated into Shaolin recently, abit slightly modified.

All the moves are taken form Cha Fist number 5, rearranged into a different order for convenience, then recombined into the pattern we all know.

Because this was a recent assimilation to Shaolin, from Cha fist, I felt no qualms about modifying it for my tai tzu curriculem, so the one I teach is unique to my school. It's a signature set so to speak.

Someday, if I ever take on students again, you guys will be able to spot my beginners, by how they do the Wu Bu Quan in competitions. I added or subtracted no moves, but in each posture, I do the closest tai tzu posture instead, and end like the shaolin 32 posture set, rather than the standard Wu Bu Quan ending.

Shaolin
05-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I learned a version from Shifu Yan Ming in 98 (which is the version I currently teach now). I also learned another version from Kenny Perez which was more of a line drill. As Shifu Yan Ming told me 5 step is not a form, it's just basics to get you started. Think of it as a prerequisite to learning forms.

Royal Dragon
05-15-2009, 11:42 AM
It's long enough to be a form, so it's a form.

You could teach applications to each move, and make a neat little fighting system out of it, it's a form.

GeneChing
05-15-2009, 01:22 PM
The core of wubu is popular in modern wushu. O-Mei Kung Fu (http://www.usaomei.com/) does a version too, although I'm guessing it's a new derivation. It has some Songshan Shaolin elements, but is one of the first forms taught to new students (see vol 1 white belt (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd-tc001.html)).

xcakid
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
my sifu learned a version from shi yan ming that we use. it doesnt stop at the cat stance and goes along for a couple more moves before it ends where it started.

Does it do the same moves going back? Cause that is how the version I learned is performed.

Royal Dragon
05-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Mine does the same moves on the other side, but keeps in the same direction along a continuous line. I actually modified it to turn around and do the other side going back to where I start.

Shaolin
05-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Does it do the same moves going back? Cause that is how the version I learned is performed.

No, Yan Ming's version doesn't mirror the first half.

xcakid
05-18-2009, 06:36 AM
No, Yan Ming's version doesn't mirror the first half.

Would love to see that. Anything on youtube?

Shaolin
05-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Not that I've seen.

Shaolinlueb
05-18-2009, 11:50 AM
i have a video of me performing it somewhere i will try to get up on youtube for you guys.

richard sloan
05-19-2009, 01:53 AM
just did a quick look, I thought some of it might have been captured for one of the docs...but it's no longer up on youtube.

would love to see how some of you guys are doing it.

xcakid
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
i have a video of me performing it somewhere i will try to get up on youtube for you guys.

Cool. I love seeing different version of forms. :cool: