PDA

View Full Version : How has Kung-Fu changed since the explosion of interest during the 1970's ?s

seung ga faat
03-05-2001, 06:54 PM
During the last 25 years I have experienced many things in Chinese martial arts. Some of these have been positive and some not. But,I know this is the thing for me since I have been involved in this more than half of my life. I am the first to admitt that if kung-fu knowledge equalled a whole year then my understanding equals less than 1000th of a second.
Havingsaid that this question is for all the folks with 20 years+ in the kung-fu world: How has kung-fu changed since the 70's and is it better or worse or both?

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

bamboo_ leaf
03-05-2001, 11:38 PM
I feel that in some ways it’s better because of the openness that has occurred.
In my area many practice in the parks and are a little more willing to talk about their styles then in the old days.

On the neg. It would seem that many of the same old questions are still being asked, which in itself is not bad, but with much less respect then before.

The places that I have lived and worked in Asia seem to have a much wider view of CMA and other arts then the UScentirc view presented in this forum.

There seem to be many more Sifus around now instead of CMA teachers or coaches then in the old days. Many don’t even consider all the traditions and implications that go with the title.

The advent of all the new competitions is good but not much is said about the competitions that are held in Asia.

I find it very funny how people can draw the conclusion that some of these new arts are better then CMA when we don’t hear about any of these people competing in the Asian arenas.

Anyway CMA is very rich and deep, even after 25+ yrs there is so much more to learn.

enjoy life

bamboo leaf

NorthernShaolin
03-08-2001, 05:14 AM
To answer this question one has to really know sifus that taught then and still are teaching today. IOn most cases it was a learning experience to these sifus in that they found it was very difficult to teach the complete style to everyone like back in the the old country. They realize that there are very few who are willing to take the time and energy to stay long enough to learn the complete style. So over the years, many sifus cut back in the number of sets and attempt to pass the essence of their style. If the core of the style can be passed on, new sets will always be developed. This is what I found out in about 50% of the older generation sifus. The other 50% of the older sifus still belive in sticking to the traditional way and attempt to teach as much of their style as possible. The greatest fear that any sifu has is to let their style die because they made no attempt to pass it to the next generation.

:) :cool: