PDA

View Full Version : How is Shaolin kicking different from kickboxing?

diego
05-12-2009, 02:04 AM
How is Southern kicking different from kickboxing?
I'm working on my footwork drills looking for research material to help me train smarter in my style, I figure look at all of the systems around yours to see if you have any weaknesses...

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=pvn&q=how%20to%20heel%20kick%20in%20kickboxing&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

I was going to post all the kick vid's american and thai boxers use, but really when you do kick combo's most kicks look the same...it's not too much stylistic variation.
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-do-a-ninjutus-two-hand-sweep-and-kick-114829/

how does your style differ from Kick Boxing Western and Muay Thai?.

Shaolin Wookie
05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I've been to many different schools and learned the basics in kicking in at least ten different languages.

The difference is.........drumroll...........the language in which the kicking is articulated.

Everyone does "their" kick differently. There's always a secret step or hip turn that makes their kick special and more effective with regard to body mechanics. And I always seem to be doing it wrong...and I just can't seem to get it right....but it must be because the school I was at previously was doing it all wrong...and the one before that...and the one before that.....and the one before that.....ad inifinitum. And these amazing instructors can always tell me where I am going wrong, but I have to step back and kick them right up the center at half speed so that I can see their incredibly deft movements (normally done at the speed of life [as in, I'd be dead if they didn't slow down]) as they effortlessly block my kick in the most amazing way you could even imagine. Don't even try. You can't imagine it. I told my friend Steve about it, and he tried to imagine it, and now Steve's in the hospital. I mean...it's every time, man! And each time I think that the school before this one had fine-tuned all the mechanics, and surely as I step back and kick him just like he's telling me to, this time! This time it will be different!!! But....alas! No. And as I'm sitting there in a pretty predicament, feeling like a fool, they'll tell me how they can kick out my knee from my one-leg position and then break my heel, and then stomp on me...and then I'm dead.

I swear. I've died a thousand deaths at the hands of these amazing kicking instructors. There's this world that I don't have access to, and everyone on this world has perfect kicks. I give up. I must be really bad. A hopeless cause. No fight in my blood.

It's always....always the same. And no matter what, everyone else is doing it wrong. But if you knock someone on their ass full speed, they tend to shut up and stop knocking on your kicks.