PDA

View Full Version : the 8 Step way of defending against a kick.

chyisan
03-08-2001, 09:19 AM
How does 8 step defend against kicks? I've noticed that most of the techniques found in the forms I've learned are defending against a punch of some kind. What would a 8 Step student do in response to say a round house or a side kick? What technique and from what form?

Mindlessness is the enemy...

8stepsifu
03-08-2001, 09:29 AM
We have the 8 kicking blocks that work against kicks. My instinct is to go to the inside and throw them or shoot for a takedown. YOu can also apply threading block to throw them from the outside. If you cant get a full response, the whole body is used to deflect a leg down or to the side. Sometimes the power of the leg can be used to bounce the block into a faceward strike.

chyisan
03-08-2001, 08:25 PM
8 kicking blocks? What are those? What form are they found in?

Mindlessness is the enemy...

8stepsifu
03-09-2001, 02:47 AM
They are all in the 8 kicking block short form.

It's one of the 8th's
8 stances
8 hands
8 elbows
8 blocks
8 palms
8 fists
8 high kicks
8 low kicks
8 kicking blocks
8 knees

Some of them are found in the 12 kicking combinations as well as two person forms. Also there are some in the two person body coordinations.

robertwilliam
03-09-2001, 03:36 PM
Well, there are quite a few ways to defend against the side kick and roundhouse / 8 step mantis.I'm sure that there are more complicated or flowery ways of doing it.For the side kick, you could use aspects of body coordinations 8,9,10 - falling stance - just grab the leg out of the air with extreme prejuctice and go into the falling stance (Check the kicking combos too).Another would be a chopping block , and then follow up with front axe kick to the supporting leg.For the roundhouse, step in fast and block the ankle and palm strike to anywhere above the knee.Another option for both defenses would be not to be there.Remember one of the cardinal rules of 8 step - feint high to attack low and vice versa - also L & R.