PDA

View Full Version : How do you train/practice your forms and/or applications?

orchid
03-08-2001, 07:57 PM
I am not a very good martial artist, and have only been doing kung fu for at leats two years now.I know this is a long post but nothing of any good has yet to be post in a while so bear with me.This is also a two part question.

1.)
When i practice my forms i do them very slowly the first couple of times until i get the entire form memmorized,i do this so as to have correct form as i progress my speed until i can do a complet form as if i where fighting someone in real life. For show is this a good idea?
2.)
when i train/practice my applications i go along with the same theory.Remmebering that form is nummber one and speed is second, that way when i fight for real my kung fu has good form.
Does anyone else feel that this is a good idea to train so that your kung fu has good form when you need it most?

Thanks in advance. your repleys are valued.

Scarletmantis
03-09-2001, 01:43 AM
Of course, you obviously have a good method here. Function follows form. The more time you spend working your technique, the better you're going to get in the long run. Many beginers don't have the patience for the "slow but steady" approach, I can only respect your fortitude and wonder how bad you can really be, since you've got the right attitude.

You can also try breaking your forms down into one or two moves that you can practice continuously for a period of time. Try practicing some moves that you aren't satisfied with for an entire training session.

For example, say that you aren't happy with your execution of a Shao Twei/punch combination. Spend thirty minutes working just the commencement of the Shao Twei movement slowly, the next thirty minutes stringing the footwork and punch together slowly, then finally doing the technique at full speed. Work ONLY this combination for about a week before you move on to the next string of movements. If you're worried about forgetting the rest of the form, by all means, use it to warm up, then again to cool down,

As Wang Shu Jin said, "It is better to do one technique well, then ten thousand poorly."

If you take an admittedly rigorous approach like this, you will be well on your way to mastering the material you have already learned, instead of piling more questionable techniques on top of a weak foundation.

Since, as I mentioned before, most others won't have the fortitude to see such a regimen through, you'll begin to surpass the other students in your class in a few months. This means you'll be IMPROVING, which is what the hard work we put into kung fu is all about! Good job! ;)

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."

Red Masque
03-09-2001, 03:04 AM
Your Sifu was the first westerner to win an International Competition in China...You have not asked _him_ these questions??
Maybe you should.
Anyway, Best wishes,
RM

ChitownMantis
03-30-2001, 08:47 PM
(bowing in) Hello, I think that your methods are sound. Reguardless of what red masque, I see you just want different views. I have studied longer than you but like you I am still beginning. I would not call myself a martial artist. But from what my sifu taught me what you are doing is good. And also what I try to do even if I don't have time. While you are looking at tv or even in the shower get in a horse stance(or front stance). The little time you take is good to practice. Back when I was in Chicago I use to get in a horse stance or golden roster while the train is moving. It builds power in your stance. Then when, for example, in horse stance and doing a...sun punch drill do it slowly like you are doing then use power forcing slowly pushing out your chi(follow you fist, so the chi can follow) That is make you punch powerful.

"Martial arts is like life, know one really masters it. You just get really good at it, based on your own limits". Self quote

NorthernMantis
03-30-2001, 11:57 PM
chitown you forgot to bow out. :D give me 100 push ups.

"Always be ready"

[This message was edited by NorthernMantis on 03-31-01 at 02:10 PM.]

ChitownMantis
04-01-2001, 05:31 PM
(Bowing in)
Your are right. Sai!! (Doing push ups)
(Bowing out)

Inquisitor
04-01-2001, 06:37 PM
Have you learned the two-man forms? They contain the same techniques as the forms, and are a great way to practice application/sensitivity/etc. Even then, you don't really have to know them to practice with a parter, now do you? ;-) Go grab someone and tell them to attack you (in a manner that is ascribed to the particular technique you wish to practice), and see if you can do it on them. Obviously, it should be a gradual process (slowly at first then faster, up to full speed). Also, I would recommend practicing an entire sequence of a form with the person. This should mostly involve you trying to lock on a particular technique, your partner countering/defending, and then you moving on to the next movement in the sequence, until you are done with that particular portion of the form. I'm hoping that what I am saying is making sense. =) Good luck