PDA

View Full Version : How many styles of Chinese boxing do you know?

SPJ
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSg8FK53CHw

this is a funny clip that named many styles.

some are real, some are not.

the thin guy tried to do mi zhong yi, which is fake.

he also tried some postures at the end.

including TV antenna posture.

:D

golden arhat
05-21-2009, 03:25 PM
i am pretty sure mi zong is a real style

SPJ
05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
yes. mi zong is real style.

the thin guy in the talk show or xiang sheng 相 声 was doing something funny and not real.

:)

SPJ
05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-dttA2ueJA&feature=related

mi zong.

:)

golden arhat
05-22-2009, 02:07 PM
i wish i could speak chinese

SPJ
05-23-2009, 07:36 AM
There are several categorizations mentioned are good.

1. northern boxing including many
southern boxing including many also.

2. long fist (categorization at Nan Jing kou shu guan)
short fist would be wing chun ---

3. nei jia and wai jia internal vs external.

4. animal style, tiger crane mantis ---

5. Tai Ji

----

David Jamieson
05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
lol that clip was like a chinese south park.

hey spj, how come so much chinese tv stuff is set 100 years ago or more.

it's rare to see any stories that involve modern times with the exception of one or two soap operas. and those aren't really the good ones.

i drive my wife nuts by watching foreign language tv. :)

SPJ
05-26-2009, 05:55 PM
1. Xiang Sheng is usually with 2 person talking back and forth.

they may talk about anything and make it funny.

it is a variation of story telling, or shuo shu 说书

it used to be in a tea house or restaurant.

when radio came about, it was popular as a radio talk show.

only recently or in the beginning of 21st century, the computer animation is added with talk on the background.

2. In China, most provencial governments making TV shows and TV drama series, however, usually about history, or old style drama, since they have been around a long time.

there are a few more modern drama series, however, not very well received, or the film making people lost money.

In Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, there are more recent time dramas made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4sfkMWMqs&feature=channel_page

this is China remake of a film popular in 1970's in Taiwan.

it was a big flop, not a lot of people watching except me. LOL.

;)

SPJ
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2QI7Rz2Xs&feature=channel_page

this is xiang sheng about Wu Song Da Hu or beating the tiger.

I laughed so hard.

It is with modern twists.

:cool:

Violent Designs
05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I know one really well, and bits & pieces from a few others (learned through training, exchange, crosstraining). I also do some non Chinese style . . .

KC Elbows
06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I know one style, in that I know how different people can use my style to fight, though this knowledge is still growing for me.

I have familiarity with one other, and passing familiarity with a number of others.

My view is that too many people learn the form from one style, don't ever get to really know the usage of all of it(not apps, but direct experience in usage), and learn another style to bridge the gap, never really getting to know that second style, either. In the end, they may have their own eclectic style, if they train with diligently contact, which is cool.

I think a lot of people studying kung fu end up learning a number of styles that aren't markedly different from each other, instead of rationally choosing styles that introduce new aspects of fighting to them. Again, I think this has to do with a failure to learn deeply any one style, so being forced to seek twelve sources for one aspect of fighting when any one of them might hold the info they needed.

I also think people equate their teacher's fighting with their style's, when their teacher's fighting will be their style as fought by someone with their teacher's attributes. An experienced teacher should learn to be familiar with how people different than them can best capitalize on their style's repertoire.

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
well, some of my friends, who also practice chinese martial arts and are chinese refer to each different motion as a "style". So by that standard, hundreds! lol

Hanging back fist = one style
Cranes beak strike = one style
Tigers Claw = one style
Tiger Tail Kick = one style

and so on and so on...

But from a perspective of a system. i only know a little of what there is that I have been taught and have actually learned. I still practice, so.... not many.