PDA

View Full Version : What is Pentagon?

Ghaldszar
05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi

I watched a video today
There is a dojo and in that place there are triangles drawn on the floor for training. But I saw also a pentagon was drawn.
That was drawn in a sign looks like a flower with 5 leaf.
Is there any traning method like triangle's one
or
What are the meaning of the pentagon and the sign looks like flower in Wing Chun terminology?

PS:
Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5cw5qW5-X0
You can see it at 0.13 min. clearly

Yoshiyahu
05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Thats a great video what lineage is that?

Liddel
05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Thats a great video what lineage is that?

Looking at the pants with red trim line, id say thats from Leung "the women destroyer" Ting's Line although to me it seems they have a mix of a few other styles in there... i see different knife work and maybe some savate.

So if anyone really wants to find out about thier training and/or use of the pentagon etc id PM the video poster on youtube... but perhaps they use it for training stepping shapes simlar to or in place of the plum blossom piles/poles... only on the ground :rolleyes: just a guess.

DREW

CFT
05-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Well it says Wing Tsun.

Looking at the bio he has had some training with William Cheung, Keith Kernspect and Leung Ting.

Sihing73
05-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Hello,

I did not watch the video so I can not comment on the content;

However, several different arts utilize patterns for footwork and body mechanics training. Silat and Kuntau often utilize patterns with triangle and intersecting lines as well as circles, Various styles of Bagua also do the same. I recall seeing a pattern in a book by Ed Parker which was called the "Universal Pattern". It was essentially a drawing of circles, triangles etc which allegedly showed every possible angle of movement.

Patterns are good for initial learning of foowork but one should always step outside the box for application.

Take it FWIW which may be nothing :D

Mr Punch
05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Thats a great video what lineage is that?Yeah, nice dance steps. Maybe the plum blossom symbolizes the big bouquet they hope to get at the end of their performance.