PDA

View Full Version : David vs Goliath

Pork Chop
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Saw this article referenced on a Japanese language learning forum, of all places.
I think as fighters we should all be looking for ways to defeat Goliath, I mean, isn't that what martial arts are all about at their core essence?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/05/11/090511fa_fact_gladwell?printable=true

discuss...

David Jamieson
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
can you put it in a nutshell? that was some really not to the point writing.
ouch!

:p

sanjuro_ronin
05-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Having been, typically, the runt of the class, MA was always about beating the big guy for me.
Kyokushin being "no weight category" fighting, made that even more of an issue, LOL !
Grappling became a crucial element, but, when you face people that are 50, 80 or 100lbs heavier than you are and strong as oxes, you learn that size matters.
And I found that the only way to overcome it is, to quote Clubber Lang"
PAIN.
A smaller person must develop their ability to inflict pain and incapacitate to the fullest extent.
Every strike must be a knock out strike, truly the "one punch, one kill" view.
Fighting someone 20lbs heavier is nothing compared to fighting someone that is almost 1 foot taller and 100 lbs heavier !
yeah, it was a kyokushin match and he was 6-4 and 245lbs, I was at the time, 5-6 and 145.
yep, that was an eye opener.

Lucas
05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
how'd that one turn out?

Pork Chop
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
can you put it in a nutshell? that was some really not to the point writing.
ouch!

you're probably just being sarcastic but here goes:
"David can beat Goliath, but he has to think outside the box and also substitute hard work for natural ability"

sanjuro_ronin
05-27-2009, 05:39 AM
how'd that one turn out?

He won be decision, but at least I didn't get Ko'd !!
LOL !
I got a good one in though, a low round to the inside leg that brought him down, followed a "scuffle":p
I got in a few nice body shots that rocked him but he sent me flying with a front kick and knocked my legs out from under me with his low round.
Nice guy too, we had a beer after :D

Lama Pai Sifu
05-27-2009, 05:48 AM
yeah, it was a kyokushin match and he was 6-4 and 245lbs, I was at the time, 5-6 and 145.
yep, that was an eye opener.

Oh yeah, how tall are you now? :)

sanjuro_ronin
05-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Oh yeah, how tall are you now? :)

I think I shrunk after that fight, he axe kicked me !!

Smartass !